• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2633343536

Thread: Wait for it, wait, wait GO! The Derr Pond Build.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I still say, those are some very lucky grandkids!
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

hardin is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Where the winds come sweeping down the plain
      I still say, those are some very lucky grandkids!
      That is the truth. Think we can get away with telling her we are a couple long lost grandkids?
      -Vickie

"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, the devil says, "Oh no, she's up."
      Piglet: "How do you spell love?" Pooh: "You don't spell it. You feel it."

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by hardin View Post
      Think we can get away with telling her we are a couple long lost grandkids?
      --Steve

majederr is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Was trying post a few pics of the grand kids frozen pond but apparently the iPad won't let me grab it
      from photo stream

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

So with my surgery five days away, what better time to open the old pond and have all my contractors want to start their jobs!! Stone contractors are onsite daily and doing all the pillars for arbors and whatnot and the electricians are here and running all the panel, etc.. for the pumps, vents and so on. Old line that me and DH ran had to be pulled as we ran 220 thru conduit without stripping the casing(who knew) and our 220 line didn't have a ground. Its amazing how fast they pull and run stuff that took us hours to do!!! Each vent will have it own switch cause we don't want one getting caught and then we cant shut them They are running overhead lights(which I can't decide on the style yet: Old enamel barn/gas station type that are green on outside and white on inside and 19" diameter or cage moisture/explosion proof), the lights outside the doors, and all the power we will ever need to the grandkids pond, Fairy Forest pillars and playground. Of course I am running around like nuts trying to get my everyday normal stuff done and now I am overseeing the contractors as well. Uncovered the pit for the first time in a long time yesterday so they could dig trenches for electric and drill through the walls. Pond is still covered but I am hoping both surgeries go well and the pond will be up and running this summer!! Not all the windows and doors will be restored yet but I am hoping to do that a little at a time once I am back on my feet. THE pump issues we have had over the last few years has made me angry but hopefully that will be taken care of as I have given it to my husband to deal with now. We will purchase 2 new pumps but the old once will be repaired somehow and remain as back ups. The liners seem to be intact no wild animals got at them but I guess we'll wait and see when we put them in. I am sorry to say that there are no pond companies in the area anymore so we are using our contractors and family and friend to get this done. Although,it won't be finished, I am hoping to get the fish in there by end of summer. Decorative pond details and to the building will have to wait , I just want the basics in and running for now. Still have to dig the drainage ditch from building, but that's simple enough if you have nothing else to do Not much as far as pics to post but maybe I'll find a few. Oh and we did have only one piece of glass break over the winter. Not in the coldest part, but after Easter, not really sure why. It is under one of the vents. I am glad its tempered!! maybe I will find pics of the lights and you can let me know your thoughts on that. I have to wait till DH gets home for any pics as I bought a new computer with the latest windows or something and I hate it. I can't load or find my pics and those side bars are going to make me nuts!!!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Let there be light!!! Need some that show the top roof at night but we are extremely happy to have lights now. Also each vent window has its own switch. Now if I could get this darn pump situation taken care of, that would be helpful. Very disappointed with advantage at this point.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

aartwmich is offline Insatiably Curious Ponderer
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Nice!

Anne (the 'e' is silent) the Armchair Ponder

Judge no one by their outward appearance or where they work or live or worship........but by the content of their character displayed in the integrity of their actions.

Cheryl is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That looks awesome! Is the pond inside finished yet?

Cheryl

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Beautiful!
      --Steve

lifeoffaith is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Amazing!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

fairlady is offline Senior Member
      is Happily Retired

Feeling:
      Happy

Looks awesome!!!!
      Susie

Longfin Lover is offline Senior Member
      is Northern Ponder

Feeling:
      Happy

Awesome build...glad to see you are back to posting your progress.
      Hope your surgery went well and that you are "good to go" for the summer ponding season. I have a request when you can. Could you please show us your "Fairy Forest pillars". I am curious as to what they are.

Thanks, Marg

proudly Canadian

bonita69 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What happen? where is the rest of this build?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

No pond is not up yet. We're working on it now but I just had surgery and have another the first week of June. In between surgeries , we are working to get the pond up. Having issues with the pumps, so as so as that's resolved , then we 'll get going on putting the liners in, filters, water, etc.. Tried to get a close up of the inside lights but I can't seem to zoom with my phone. They are old fashioned barn/gas station enamel lights. Our electricians are being very careful to have everything to code, water proof, etc... They came up with individual switches for the vents which I am happy about as I never thought about what if one vent wouldn't close.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

ggmd is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hope your surgeries went well - This was an AMAZING labor of love and it looks spectacular. Any updates?

Koinewbie1 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I hate the rich

may is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

photos

Quote Originally Posted by majederr View Post
      The windows and doors all have history. Windows are from Saint Paul's Cathedral convent in Pittsburg(would love to hear what stories they have) and doors are from Homer Taylor mansion in East liverpool,Ohio, pottery(Knowles/Taylor). A little history on the doors:

EAST LIVERPOOL - An early-morning fire on Sept. 23 destroyed the Taylor Mansion at 894 Park Blvd., writing a sad final footnote to a story of a pottery fortune lost and an aristocratic pottery family humbled but not broken.
      The Taylor family lost their wealth and social status in The Great Depression. But they had each other to depend upon and they knew how to make pottery. In a rented chicken coop in Burbank, Calif., they performed the ordinary labor of making pottery and held their family together, even as Homer Taylor was dying slowly of cancer. Once one of the richest men in East Liverpool, he didn't have money to go to a doctor when a skin cancer recurred.
      When Homer Taylor took over from his father John N. Taylor as president of Knowles, Taylor and Knowles Pottery in 1914, KT&K was America's largest pottery with 700 workers. Homer's turn-of-the century marriage to a daughter of the Sebring China family had been "the wedding of the century," with a railroad car reserved to carry East Liverpool guests to the event.
      When their grand eight-bedroom house on Park Boulevard was built in 1918-20, Homer bragged it was "bigger than the country club."
      However, by 1929 KT&K had failed and the family had lost everything in the economic disaster that was The Great Depression. They sold their possessions and moved to California. Homer and his eldest child, John, moved to Los Angeles first, in 1933. The rest of the family followed in July 1934.
      Eileen Taylor wrote that she was thrilled to see Los Angeles, feeling "this was the place for which I had been searching all my life." She was herself a young mother when they went to California, with her daughter Patty, Chris Crain's mother.
      When Pearl and her children located the hotel where Homer, John and an Uncle Ray were staying, they enjoyed "the most wonderful reunion with everyone crying, laughing, and talking at the
      same time. We were shocked, however, at Homer's appearance, as he has been ill and had not written us about it. Some years previous, he had had a small skin cancer removed from his face, and now it had started to return. He had suffered considerable pain and had not consulted a physician because of the expense involved."
      Homer also was depressed about the family's dismal financial outlook. "He had been able to sell some cherished letters he had received long ago from his friend, our former President, William McKinley. This swelled our finances a little," Eileen wrote.
      The jobs that family members found were lost as The Depression deepened, and in 1937 Pearl and Homer turned back to doing what they knew: making pottery.
      Except that now, instead of being the president with hundreds of potters working beneath him, Homer was the labor force, and Pearl and their grown children worked alongside him. They rented one of four buildings that had been chicken coops in Burbank for $10 a month and began making what came to be known as KT&K California ware. Their little pottery measured 80 by 24 feet. At first it did not even have its own kiln. The ware was taken elsewhere to be fired. With modest success the Taylors leased the other three buildings one by one and built their own kiln. It was a bottle kiln, the entrance to which had to be bricked up every time it was fired.
      Californian Chris Crain is a great-grandson of Pearl and Homer who collects their ware and is proud of his family history.
      "Knowles, Taylor and Knowles of Burbank, Calif., produced art ware for approximately 10 years, from 1937 to 1948," Crain wrote. "In 1942 the number of employees, including Taylor family members, was approximately 15. The bottle kiln was eventually replaced with a tunnel kiln. . . While you will not find K.T.K. California in every antique mall, it has been found in every part of the country."
      Homer Taylor died of cancer in 1943, said Crain. After KTK California ceased operations in 1948, Crain's grandparents had a pottery for about a year in Hollywood, on Sunset Boulevard, then moved to Dallas in 1949.
      Another of Homer and Pearl's children, Bonnie, married Lee Wollard. They started their own pottery in 1941 in a different building on the same property. Eventually they owned the West Coast Pottery and produced "Lee Wollard" figurines, said Crain.
      When the mansion burned, it broke Crain's heart. He had returned to East Liverpool and got into the house not long ago, and dreamed of coming back and buying it someday. (The house was vacant and poorly secured after an owner got into financial trouble.)
      The fire devastated Joseph and Kathy Boyd of Coolidge Avenue, Glenmoor, who had bought the house from a real estate agent after the huge old structure had been sold at sheriff's auction. They were in the process of remodeling it as a primary residence for themselves and their large family. They have 11 children, six of them still at home. Kathy Boyd said the house was insured and a house will be rebuilt on the lot, but probably not on the same foundation.
      The grandeur and the history that lived in the house now live only in memories and stories such as this.

I have a pic of the doors in the mansion, but can't seem to locate it on my computer.I purchased the doors from Kathleen Boyd in 2006.

I have photos of the interior of the Taylor mansion prior to its sale just before burning.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2633343536