• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: DYI sand filter

daleroark is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

DYI sand filter

I got hold of tanks about 34x40 in in area. Will hold about 275 gal to use for sand filter. I want to bring water in the top and run a 2 in down one side with 5 11/2" lines across the tank for air with a 2" header and 4 1 1/2" laterals for water fed from the opposite side of tank. I was wondering if I need to separate the pipes with a grate or if filling the bottom of tank with 1 to 2 in rock would be good enough?I would have air on both sides of tank and between each water line.

I am not interested in getting biological action but want to remove the fines so i would be guessing as to depth of various layers of rock. This is my first try on a forum, so please excuse my feeble attempt.

Dale Roark

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Cowiche Ponder is offline Living my life's dream
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

every sand/gravel filter I've seen has not only a grate to hold the gravel off the bottom of the tank, but a bottom drain too. Don't want that rock going down the drain. You want the water to distribute out evenly at the bottom so not to channel the water in one spot which you would get if you didn't have some kind of grate holding the rock off the bottom.

Not sure if that answered your question..as I wasn't quite sure what the question was...

My own s/g filters have the incoming water/pipes below the grate with the air manifold on top of the grate at the bottom of the gravel layers

birdman is offline DIY Savant
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Look in the construction Sticky's, there are many good examples you can follow.
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68132
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36550
      Here are a couple.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks

Thank for the input.

All the threads I see tell me to put a grate in. I still can't see where it does any good as air will be on all sides of tank and will fluidize the bed. The water will work its way up ok through the rock.

I have never seen a filter that works in the upward direction. Almost all municipal water plants are downflow filters. They usually have two or three feet of water on top. The media rests on gravel that surrounds the drain pipes.

Leopold has a site that explains a multi media filter.

I will try and let you know how it works.

Cowiche Ponder is offline Living my life's dream
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

most water plants are not dealing with the literal crap that our filters do. Even the filters used in the E Washington irritation systems are good for poo filtration.

Your incoming water will not be able to disperse through out the whole filter.

boggen is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by daleroark View Post
      Thank for the input.

All the threads I see tell me to put a grate in. I still can't see where it does any good as air will be on all sides of tank and will fluidize the bed. The water will work its way up ok through the rock.

I have never seen a filter that works in the upward direction. Almost all municipal water plants are downflow filters. They usually have two or three feet of water on top. The media rests on gravel that surrounds the drain pipes.

Leopold has a site that explains a multi media filter.

I will try and let you know how it works.
      am guessing you are more reffering to low head sand filters at treatment.
      plants. those filters are huge! compared to flow rate going through them.

for the average back yard pond. that doesn't have space. and when speaking a couple feet of extra head of water. it can make a difference. in both pump sizes and filtration space.

so the low head sand filters were modified for the average back yard ponder into sand and gravel filters. that are an upflow filter. instead of a down flow filter.

also becuase smaller chambers are used. there is going to be more channeling of water happening. IE not near as deep as filters seen in treatment plants. or rather if a small amount of water channels the more effect it will have on water quality. so there is need to make sure there is good dispersing of water on both the inlet and outlet side of the filter.

by raising the gravel up off the bottom. via a grate. you get a dispersal of water in the bottom. at the same time. it makes it much easier for muck to get removed out of the bottom of the tank. via the bottom drain on them.

part of what might be seen in large treatment plants is they are relying partially on non-aerobic bactria to help deal with waste in the water. in majorty of ponds on the forum. we rely more on aerobic bacteria to deal with waste in the water. and try to stay away from any spot that could become non aerobic. due to the non aerobic area is more likely to breed bad bacteria and parasites than help with waste within the water.

---------------------
      as far as your filter. would suggest just mimic-ing one of the sand and gravel filter threads and just enlarging the stuff as needed for plumbing.birdman, kent wallace, robert, can't remember the others that have recently made a couple other good instruction threads for sand and gravel filters.
      Pond and Construction Forum 101 good place for any first timers to the forum. for finding resources and general info.

Ryan

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Any idea what size holes to drill in both air and water pipes? I have 11/2 in pipes running across the full bottom of tank. I have a small pump running on my skimmer for now but will need to replace it with a larger one. Any idea what size? Thanks again

I would post pictures if i could figure out how.

Thanks again

Luck is offline Samurai
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

try scrolling down when you post in advanced mode and go to manage attachments. then browse for your pics in your files or on the web. then upload them. They have to be a certain size to post, there is a table that shows you what size they need to be in manage attachments.
      Watch your thoughts; they become words.
      Watch your words; they become actions.
      Watch your actions; they become habits.
      Watch your habits; they become character.
      Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Dustin

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I drill 3/16th holes for the blower manifolds I build.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Pix

Steve

See you at the Roseburg koi show.

Here are pix of tanks/plumbing. I picked up tanks cheap and thought I would use one for sand filter and one for Q tank.(using a 55 gal. drum for bio filter) The long pipes should spread the water out ok and work for the wash cycle. I have a drain already in the tank but don't see where it should be necessary.

I think I may have to resize my pix. but I tried to send them.

I am the last analog man.
      Attached Images Attached Images   

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Looking good, yes, see you at Roseburg.

• Remove Ads