• Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: khv....don't know help!!!

bcforsythe is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

khv....don't know help!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

we have a 2000 gallon pond and have just purchased 11 new 4-6 inch japanese koi all at once all from same dealer. we put them all in the pond at once (the pond didn't have any other fish in it) about one week later one of the fish was isolating, not eating, and sort of floating at top of water. my dealer recommeded salt bath but he was too far gone. so we went over to his store and he was telling us his fish aren't doing so well either and he gave us chloramine T to treat our fish at home. in the meantime our platinum and gin rin are isolating a little bit and not eating much if anything. so i have been giving salt baths and afterward they zip around with the others then after a couple of hours they are back to isolation and kind of laying on bottom(but do swim away rapidly when walked up on.
      the gin rin shows sign of some fin rot (fraying and some fin missing) so i called him today and he says he is suspecting he is infected with khv but doesn't have it confirmed yet. he says his fish are doing terrible.
      now mine aren't terrible...but those two are not quite normal either.
      our temps have been swinging so pond has been swinging between 58 to 68 degrees.
      he told us to catch all of them(what a treat that was) and heat them up to 86 and keep them there for a week.
      ph is 8.5
      ammonia is 0
      nitrite 0
      so we have them heating. all of their gills look good and only a couple have just a little fin fraying and the gin rin with the half missing fin.
      we had just completed 3 doses of chloramine T yesterday. they are inthe house heating up and well aerated.
      so what do you think.
      it doesn't sound like they are sick enough to have khv. do they!
      he treats for flukes and such when he gets them that is why he really did't think that was the problem. so he tested for flukes. i've been thinking flukes because of the symptoms.
      please give me some advise or insight. kind of confused
      thanks
      bc

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

update....
      my platinum pearl was swimming one minute and is now dead at the bottom of the tank. she has been the weakest but i thought she was getting alittle better. he said this might happen as the khv is dormant until you get the water warm. i am at 80 degrees and holding steady for awhile unless someone thinks i should just keep going til i hit 86
      please someone tell me what to do i am very upset as i have been working day after day to keep these fish alive.
      i will be glad to answer any other questions you have
      thanks.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

oh yeah sorry forgot...i was thinking of trying to keep her so i can have the fish guy look at her tomorrow morning what is the best way to keep her. fridge or freezer. i know he can't scope but he could maybe look her over and see something i'm not.
      thanks
      bc

Sarge is offline Good Ole Country Boy
      is Living Life!

Feeling:
      ----

BC, on the one that passed, was there any open sores? Any raised scales or bloating - buldging eyes?
      "Sarge"

Disclosure statement: Don't read into where I post, or with whom I choose to call my friend. If you know me - you know me. All people are created equal and all humans have fault.

is Living Life!

Feeling:
      ----

Ziplock in the freezer.
      "Sarge"

Disclosure statement: Don't read into where I post, or with whom I choose to call my friend. If you know me - you know me. All people are created equal and all humans have fault.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

sarge
      i just looked her over really well and she has no ourward sign of anything. no frayed fins no wounds. i did look at her gills. i am trying really hard to get over my phobia of handling fish( i know stupid huh) and since my husband is gone i am doing it.
      she was really hard to keep ahold of i don't know if that is normal slime coat or not. her gill were really dark red. i just don't know what i am looking at.
      maybe this is khv and my sick one died because the warming brought the virus about.
      confused and frustrated and sad
      bc

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

ziploc with water or without.
      sorry just not sure!
      bc

is Living Life!

Feeling:
      ----

Hang in there. Yes the slime coat makes it a bit hard to handle. Your symptoms sound much like what I went through with a few of my fish - costia and ulcer disease.

Do you have any melafix on hand? What type med's have you placed in the q-tank?
      "Sarge"

JgR Guest - Time to Register
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Dead fish tell few tales.. Sad but true.

I do not think it is KHV. Not from anything I have read anyway. Sounds more like costia or chinawhatever that I can't spell.

You really need a scrape and scope. Your dealer was not wrong in telling you to bring them in and to warm them up. The immune system is more active at higher temps. My understand of KHV (which is little to nothing) is the virus dies at higher temps

Now did the gills look crisp or gummy?

I am not familiar with Chlormine T as I sad at koivet but what was it supposed to treat?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

only thing in there is salt. he told me to just warm them up to 86 and basically hope for the best. i was beginning to think he was crazy but now maybe he is right.
      he is treating his as though they have khv. he has treated his also with chloramine T and his are now free of parasites. he was suspicious because they had so many parasites when he scoped his. so he is now working khv.
      he thinks mine should also be parasite free as well with the 3 chloromine T treatments.
      i don't know. i don't have anything on hand but can get stuff tomorrow he carries a wide assortment of things. he gave the chloramine T to me he has been helpful but i am just frustrated now that i have lost one that i have been babying for about a week now.
      bc

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Please nothing into the pond right now especially melafix or anything that will coat the gills.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

jgr
      chloramine T treats flukes, other parasites, costia being one of them and bacteria. it is supposed to be a good gun for lots of different things. they sell it on pond rx also.
      what i have read on it says it works well.
      bc

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

oh sorry the gills looked not crispy they were kind of hard to peel open. does that help any. sorry i am soo not sure how they are supposed to be. maybe i should have him give me a lesson on what gills are supposed to look like and
      how to check them. so what do i do for now. watch and wait. the others are swimming around fine for now. should i start to increase temp to 86 yet.
      bc

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

BC, increase the temp by all means. There is a thread at koivet about curing costia with heat.

Gills should be crisp and separate fingers, if that makes sense. If they are all gummed together there is a huge problem for the fish to get oxygen. Can you add more air to the water? Never too much especially in warmer water.

Can you catch one and post a pic of its gills? Takes two to do this, one to hold the fish in a wet towel and one to take the pic.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i'd love too but i am by myself hubby out of town for the night...doesn't it figure.
      i have a pump running turning water over at least 2 times hour and a air stone in there also.
      i will increase the water temp.
      gills were definatly more gummed than crispy. hard to peel apart. i had i hard time getting nail in there.
      i did see a picture somewhere of how this gill looked so i will find it and see.
      if i find it i will try to post.
      bc

is Living Life!

Feeling:
      ----

BC, keep the heat up. Jackie has many years experience. Also, Blammo, Luke, and some others are sure to pipe in. Hang in there.
      "Sarge"

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

BC take a deep breath and relax.

How many fish are sick? where are they now?

Seems like you have the air and temp stuff under control.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

out of 10 fish 2 were showing symptoms of isolating and not eating. one was jumping out of the water every now and again. she always ended up landing back in the water though.
      we have been salt bathing them to .6 for a couple of days now. i thought they were starting to do better but when i called and checked on the fish at the dealers he said his were doing worse and was moving them off premises to clean everything out and get rid of them.
      so he told us to bring ours in and warm them and see what happens as the virus could very well be dormant at our current temps. so as i started heating my platinum got more and more agitated looking. i looked and she was swimming around and then five minutes later or less she was floating at the bottom with no gill movement. i am watching others closely. my other "sick" one the gin rin is fine for now but will watch.
      they are in my kitchen in a tank. i am keeping a close eye on water quality and so far so good. i filled the bucked in the q tank with springflow media from my biofalls so i hope that helps.
      bc

luke frisbee Guest - Time to Register
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

a philosphical look.....
      Don't fret over what you can't do a **** thing about. Do what you can.

IF your Fish Monger is an adult then he KNOWS he has KHV, If he is a baby then He is just like a silly little hobbyist and is running around saying the sky is falling. Don't be a silly little hobbyist. You're raising the temp. You don't have a "collection" to worry about.
      Tomorrow call the Fish Monger and tell him you understand how he feels and that he must be busy, AND that you won't worry him with your LITTLE problem until after he has a handle on his livelihood. You'll feel better and he'll feel better.
      As I've said, and been critcized before, "They are just fish."
      Please don't add to the fish monger's misery. Just kindly let him know you might have a problem and you'll call him in a couple of weeks and let him know how you fared.
      be very thankful you don't have a collection. You ARE LUCKY. Imagine THOSE customers that he is having to deal with.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

thanks luke...but they are not just fish..and they may not be a collection but you tell that to my kids who think of them as pets.
      and i am not bothering my "fish monger" but maybe i am bothering you. sorry i thought this is why the board was here.
      bc

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast