• Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RKM grow-out atarashi showa

RKM is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

RKM grow-out atarashi showa

I was fortunate to pick quite early (#8), which is great except for the fact that I am quite indecisive! There were a number of fish that I thought were interesting, but I selected this one for the following reasons. The conformation appears to be reasonable, although the picture is not from directly overhead. Dividing the fish into three segments front to back, there is beni (three step pattern) and sumi present in all. All three colors are present on the head, with the nose and end of the tail tube being white. The fish also has prominent motoguro on both pectoral fins. What I was less enamored with in this fish (and really many of the fish in this selection) was the presence of much more beni on the head than the mid section or tail tube and therefore a lack of even beni distribution from front to back. Furthermore, there is a small patch of very weak beni just in front of the dorsal fin. Hopefully this will disappear with age, or be covered by the sumi that is lurking below it. In general I think that it is a nice fish and it will be interesting to see it develop.
      Attached Images Attached Images   
      Last edited by RKM; 05-08-2008 at 06:24 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I just picked up the fish tonight. It was in great shape. I was surprised how small it is (only about 7" at most).

saltiery is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

you can tell from the pics, they're babies.... LOTS of water changes and diverse diet, fruits, cooked veggies and high protein and they'll double in size in short order!
      sarah

It's not about the storms we endure, it's about learning to dance in the rain! (even when it's INSIDE your house)

North Florida Koi Club
      www.koihealth.org
      http://www.koistuff.com

Where there's grass.... there's room for pond...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Click for Jacksonville, Florida Forecast

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

After 3 weeks in QT

I decided to put the fish outside this afternoon, but before releasing it I took some pictures. I only had my wife's fairly simple digital camera (without a polarizing filter) and therefore the pictures are not as sharp as I'd like. Still, you get a reasonable idea of its conformation and pattern at this point.
      Last edited by RKM; 06-07-2008 at 10:41 PM.

karipeters is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

looking good!

This looks like a strong one! Good luck!
      Kari
      Kari Peters
      www.pskoi.com
      Karma....

Join me on Facebook: PSKoi and Kari Heady Peters

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

These pictures were taken today. The fish is now 13"-14" long. It's been inside in my QT tank since last fall keeping an Omosako shiro utsuri (~7" when purchased last Sept.) and Lotus Land Koi Farm showa (~4.5" in early Feb.) company. Because I don't have a proper koi viewing bowl it was difficult to get an appropriate shot of the fish at an angle from the front, so these will have to suffice. Also, the fish does not have curvature of the spine. It's merely moving slowly.
      Last edited by RKM; 04-25-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Kari was right, this is a strong one. Nice body and a thick tail. Shriji is very white.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What has impressed me the most has been the refinement of the motoguro.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
      What has impressed me the most has been the refinement of the motoguro.
      There are a lot of things that impress me about this Showa. I think you will be more impressed when the Sumi comes in and finishes the pattern. It is going to have a very nice balance. Time will tell.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

Rudy is offline WWKC Lifetime Diamond Member #1
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Very nice indeed. You've done a good job growing that baby.

I'm looking forward to pulling mine out and getting a good look but from what I can see they don't have that body
      W W K C KPOTY 08

"Ain't that the cutest little bottle of Jack you ever did see?" ... Kathryn Winstead 10/2007 Fall Harvest

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."-- Voltaire

"It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity and make it work for you."-- Frank Zappa

"There is love of course. And then there's life, its enemy." ... Jean Anouilh

Member # 106
      MPKS

12/14/07 I became a B mouth
      Made 10 grand 3/4/2010

geraldlim is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Absolutely gorgeous!
      Gerald

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I went to California for 1 week (May 28 to June 4) and when I returned I discovered that the sumi had begun to fade very noticeably all over the fish. It's the only fish in the pond showing this change (2 other showas and a shiro utsuri). I routinely do 20% water changes (per week) and I did one just before I left. When I returned I did not immediately check the water parameters (except temp which was 62F), but instead did a series of water changes and a PP treatment (1 ppm) since there was some foaming. I did check some parameters today (5 PM) and they were as follows: ammonia=0, nitrite=0, nitrate=10, pH ~8. Since my wife and daughter were feeding them I do not know whether they were overfed and the water quality changed or if this fish is simply going through a normal change in the intensity of its sumi (can't be water temp related because the fish was inside at the same temp all winter and showed an improvement in its sumi). I thought that the atarashi sumi of these fish was more stable, which is what I find odd about this.
      Last edited by RKM; 06-09-2009 at 06:15 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I went to California for 1 week (May 28 to June 4) and when I returned I discovered that the sumi has begun to fade very noticeably all over the fish. It's the only fish in the pond showing this change (2 other showas and a shiro utsuri). I routinely do 20% water changes (per week) and I did one just before I left. When I returned I did not immediately check the water parameters (except temp which was 62F), but instead did a series of water changes and a PP treatment (1 ppm) since there was some foaming. I did check some parameters today (5 PM) and they were as follows: ammonia=0, nitrite=0, nitrate=10, pH ~8. Since my wife and daughter were feeding them I do not know whether they were overfed and the water quality changed or if this fish is simply going through a normal change in the intensity of its sumi (can't be water temp related because the fish was inside at the same temp all winter and showed an improvement of sumi). I thought that the atarashi sumi of these fish was more stable, which is what I find odd about this.
      The same thing has happened to one of my Showa as well. It is from a new shipment from the beginning of May. The Sumi has lightened up quite a bit but it has kept the pattern. I am going to hold on to it to see what happens.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Out of curiosity, have you ever asked Toshio Sakai about this?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Out of curiosity, have you ever asked Toshio Sakai about this?

No, this is the first time it has happened to me. I think it will come back.

LilHoover is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Did you see the comment in the growout winner thread:

"18...Now her sumi is sinking. So, please do not worry about it. Sumi will come back."

If you look @ DebDispo thread (#18) there are pics of the sumi change...is it like that?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Probably not as pronounced, but you can now see the outline of each scale, especially on the head and shoulder.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

discouraging news

Very unfortunately, last Friday my wife found my atarashi showa dead on the ground near my pond, having been partially devoured by some predator (probably a racoon). I have never had any problems with predators and can't fathom a guess as to how or why this occurred now. Whether it jumped or was just grabbed I'll never know. I hadn't yet covered the pond with its winter cold frame which may have prevented this from occurring. For the first time since I got into this hobby a predator was attracted to the pond and managed to make a meal out of one of its inhabitants. It figures that the one fish that I really wanted to observe developing over the next few years, the one that was most valuable to me, was lost. To say that I am discouraged and disgustipated is an understatement.

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That is such a shame! I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune with this koi.
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

I'll say something when I feel I have something worth saying. I'm not a fan of flapping my lips just because they are there.

Carl is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sorry to hear that.
      -- Carl --

You are cordially invited to apply for membership in the WorldWide Koi Club,
      the parent club of Koiphen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast