• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Connecting CPVC to PVC?

mpageler is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Connecting CPVC to PVC?

I haven't used cpvc for a long time and don't remember if the sizes match up wotj pvc so you can connect them. Browsed the web for a few minutes and didn't find any answers. So if a 4" cpvc ball valve dropped on me from out of the sky, can I glue it to 4" pvc? If the diameters matchup, I'm assuming there would be a glue for the job, similar to what you get for pvc to abs.
      MN Mike

5400g 10'x14'x 5
      Dry Stacked Block Walls - Drop-in Liner
      4" BD - Cetus Seive - DIY Skimmer
      125g MB w/8ft2 Biollow9
      Converted Trition II Sand Filter

My Pond Construction
      My QT Tank
      My Indoor Overwintering Tank
      Calculating K1 Bio Media

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

luke-gr is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just read the labels. I THINK the Oatey All Purpose cement is fine for both pvc and cpvc.

EDIT: Affirmative, I just checked the Oatey site.

birdman is offline DIY Savant
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Nope. Pipe dia. is different. use a Fernco.

Showa-Man is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The two types of pipe (pvc and cpvc) are dimensionally the same, the major difference is that cpvc will take higher temps so it is usually used in hot water applications.

Gary

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Showa-Man View Post
      The two types of pipe (pvc and cpvc) are dimensionally the same, the major difference is that cpvc will take higher temps so it is usually used in hot water applications.

Gary
      Sorry Gary, the pipe dia and fittings are different size, they will not enterchange. next time yout at Lowes try and put a half inch pvc into a half inch cpvc 90.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

luke-gr is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What Birdman is saying does kinda ring a bell with me.....

Ive never seen a CPVC 4" valve before. Must be some kind of high price temperature rated industrial valve.

So, they may not fit....but if they do, the All Purpose glue will work.

mpageler is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by luke-gr View Post
      What Birdman is saying does kinda ring a bell with me.....

Ive never seen a CPVC 4" valve before. Must be some kind of high price temperature rated industrial valve.

So, they may not fit....but if they do, the All Purpose glue will work.

I beleive the major brands...Spears, Hayward, Asahi all make CPVC valves. I think they are highter pressure and temperature rated. I knew at the small sizes like 1/2" that cpvc and pvc were not compatible.
      MN Mike

5400g 10'x14'x 5
      Dry Stacked Block Walls - Drop-in Liner
      4" BD - Cetus Seive - DIY Skimmer
      125g MB w/8ft2 Biollow9
      Converted Trition II Sand Filter

My Pond Construction
      My QT Tank
      My Indoor Overwintering Tank
      Calculating K1 Bio Media

Ryan S. is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've never seen CPVC over 1"... 4" CPVC is a hot of water for someone to be using.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Cpvc

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
      Sorry Gary, the pipe dia and fittings are different size, they will not enterchange. next time yout at Lowes try and put a half inch pvc into a half inch cpvc 90.
      Hi Steve,

I just saw your reply and am very confused by your photo. That is a new one for me. I have been in the Marine piping industry for 40 years and have never seen white CPVC before. As far as size, pipe is manufactured to a standard, as you know. Measure the OD of both, if you don't mind, true 3/4" IPS should be 1.050 OD by ANSI standard. I am looking at the spec sheet right now for pvc and cpvc and they are identical dimensionally. Hopefully I will learn something from this. Below is a photo of the CPVC that I use.

Thanks,

Gary
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Ryan S. is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

CPVC we have here is also an odd size. I had to use it to attach to a laguna odd size fitting before.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Steve,

I just saw your reply and am very confused by your photo. That is a new one for me. I have been in the Marine piping industry for 40 years and have never seen white CPVC before. As far as size, pipe is manufactured to a standard, as you know. Measure the OD of both, if you don't mind, true 3/4" IPS should be 1.050 OD by ANSI standard. I am looking at the spec sheet right now for pvc and cpvc and they are identical dimensionally. Hopefully I will learn something from this. Below is a photo of the CPVC that I use.

Thanks,

Gary
      I didn't measure them Gary, just sat them end to end so you could see the difference. The white pipe on the right is PVC, it's marked PVC. Around here CPVC is kind of yellow, as the one on the left is, it's marked CPVC. But I do know different areas have different codes. Around here we can not get white PVC DWV fittings, don't meet code. Several places on the east cost that's all they have, there black ABS dosn't meet codes.
      Last edited by birdman; 02-29-2008 at 10:37 PM.

Greg Stienstra is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Looks like PVC conduit

Hi Steve,

Thanks,

Gary
      Gary, the pipe in your photos looks like PVC conduit to me. Electricial PVC conduit is always gray. Plumbing PVC pipe is always white, as are the fittings.
      CPVC pipe is yellow/white, has a different OD than PVC pipe and it's walls are thinner. CPVC is for hot water use. I've only seen 1/2 and 3/4" sizes. I would never use CPVC, I think it's cheaply made. If I needed pipe for hot water, I would use PEX tubing, it's rated for 180 degrees. Post a larger photo if you can.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Stienstra View Post
      Gary, the pipe in your photos looks like PVC conduit to me. Electricial PVC conduit is always gray. Plumbing PVC pipe is always white, as are the fittings.
      CPVC pipe is yellow/white, has a different OD than PVC pipe and it's walls are thinner. CPVC is for hot water use. I've only seen 1/2 and 3/4" sizes. I would never use CPVC, I think it's cheaply made. If I needed pipe for hot water, I would use PEX tubing, it's rated for 180 degrees. Post a larger photo if you can.
      Hi Greg,

Just for clarification, the CPVC in the photo is not conduit, it is pipe that is manufactured specifically to withstand higher temps (about 200 deg) and to be more chemical resistant than standard white PVC. So, you are correct it is for hot water use. I was able to locate the type of CPVC that you and Steve are referring to, this is the first time that I have seen it and wouldn't consider using it, it looks cheap to me too, although it must have a specific purpose or they wouldn't make it. The grey CPVC is manufactured from 1/4" IPS through 24" IPS and is higher quality than the standard white PVC that we all are familiar with. The tan CPVC is CTS SDR 11 and is tan in color to distinguish it from standard pipe and only comes in smaller sizes. Also the size difference makes sense to me now. The 3/4" tan CPVC is .875 OD and the Grey is standard IPS 1.050 OD. This is probably one more way they use to distinguish it from standard pipe.

So, if the CPVC valve is 4" it would have to be the grey CPVC and would fit white PVC pipe. This joint could be made with standard PVC solvent as someone has already said.

Gary
      Last edited by Showa-Man; 03-01-2008 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Addition for clarification

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007