Thread: Size hole for 3/8" bolt?

Nightstorm
    - I'm so obsessed I'm becoming a bore

Size hole for 3/8" bolt?

That's a fundamental question, I'm sure. I drilled a 3/8" hole and hammered a 3/8 bolt through, but it was tough. Can I just drill a 1/2" hole and put the bolt through that, using a washer on the nut side? Or would that be too loose and defeat the purpose?

For context, this is for the construction of a 4' x 4' x 8' QT. Thanks!

-- Chris

Cogito ergo sum

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." -- Hubert H. Humphrey

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change" - C. Darwin

Look at a ruler and compare 3/8 (6/16) to a 1/2 inch (8/16). I would try drilling 7/16. The 1/2 inch might be a tad big.
    For the love of Koi
    Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

Click for Jacksonville, Florida Forecast

Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #4 WWKC

JOIN THE WorldWide Koi Club NOW

Certified Koi Keeper (CKK)

BillJ
    has not specified a status.
    Try a 13/32 drill? In wood I guess I'd opt for the snug fit.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by BillJ View Post
    Try a 13/32 drill? In wood I guess I'd opt for the snug fit.

Bill
    Bill - you have 13/32 ? I probably do, but that's really cutting it close. Part of the tight fit and need to hammer it through could be alignment of the two pieces.
    For the love of Koi
    Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

Click for Jacksonville, Florida Forecast

Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #4 WWKC

JOIN THE WorldWide Koi Club NOW

Certified Koi Keeper (CKK)

Just Jessie
    is the Official Crazy Cat Lady
    I don't have a 13/32, do they make one???? I would go with 7/16

Jessie
    I SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    I support and will defend my right to bear arms

MY FAVORITE COLOR IS SHINY
    Lifetime Diamond Member #5 WWKC

BORN AGAIN CHRISTIAN

www.TickerFactory.com

Nightstorm
    - I'm so obsessed I'm becoming a bore
    Well, I was able to find a 13/32 at HD. I think this should be fine, since my test hole was just 3/8, and I was able to knock the bolt through with a block of wood. I'll let you know if that doesn't work. Thanks!

-- Chris

Cogito ergo sum

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." -- Hubert H. Humphrey

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change" - C. Darwin

boggen
    would use washers regardless of what ya end up doing. wood is soft material. and is not rock. and after some time. the bolt head and nut will most likely start sinking in on there own into the wood, from the pure weight and pressure of water pressuing on everything.

the washers will help keep the nuts and bolts from sinking into the wood and give a much stronger doing. more so when ya go to tighten up the bolt / nut. just tighting can easly cause a bolt or not to sink completely in. and in some cases could sink in far enough to actually split the wood.... heck just using a cheap battery drill to tighten things up. i can easly partially sink washers into most woods.

a hammer is always nice to have handy as well once ya get drill bit size figured out. and just being able to tap a bolt through if need be.
    Last edited by boggen; 01-14-2008 at 02:12 PM.
    Pond and Construction Forum 101 good place for any first timers to the forum. for finding resources and general info.

Ryan

Yen
    When I built my 4x4x2.5 QT wooden tank using 2x4s, I used 1/2 drill bit for 3/8 bolts with washer. No problem.

Yen

BruceP
    I countersink the depth of the bolt head/washer with a 1.125 spade bit and then drill a 13/32" hole for the 3/8" bolts. Be careful forcing a bolt thru a hole in wood..... you may increase the pressure on a flaw in the wood.
    Bruce

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." Albert Einstein

Every good landscaping project starts with a hole!

shizuka

drilling

As a general rule, drill 1/16th inch over the size of a bolt for wood, 1/32-1/64 for metal.
    always use washers. nyloc nuts are useful but can get expensive. all outdoor wood bolt applications use Locktite threadlocker.
    Robert
    Robert Myers
    Closed..probably for good. KHV kicked my butt.

BillJ
    Quote Originally Posted by boggen View Post
    would use washers regardless of what ya end up doing. wood is soft material. and is not rock. and after some time. the bolt head and nut will most likely start sinking in on there own into the wood, from the pure weight and pressure of water pressuing on everything.

the washers will help keep the nuts and bolts from sinking into the wood and give a much stronger doing. more so when ya go to tighten up the bolt / nut. just tighting can easly cause a bolt or not to sink completely in. and in some cases could sink in far enough to actually split the wood.... heck just using a cheap battery drill to tighten things up. i can easly partially sink washers into most woods.

a hammer is always nice to have handy as well once ya get drill bit size figured out. and just being able to tap a bolt through if need be.

Just thought I'd add to that I'd use large(outside diameter),thick washers. Just small enough inside diameter to easily slide on but no bigger.

Bill

aartwmich
    imatomboygirlforeever
    Insatiably Curious Ponderer
    Quote Originally Posted by shizuka View Post
    As a general rule, drill 1/16th inch over the size of a bolt for wood, 1/32-1/64 for metal.
    always use washers. .....Robert
    Quote Originally Posted by BillJ View Post
    Just thought I'd add to that I'd use large(outside diameter),thick washers. Just small enough inside diameter to easily slide on but no bigger.
    Bill

Ditto..Ditto

Anne (the 'e' is silent) the Armchair Ponder

Judge no one by their outward appearance or where they work or live or worship........but by the content of their character displayed in the integrity of their actions.