• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arowana

koitarget is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I used to owned a green arowana. This is the cheapest asian arowana you can buy. All asian arowana are illegal in the U.S. because it's an endangered species. I still don't undestand why the U.S. Government didn't take it off the endangered list. There's quite of few arowana farms in South East Asia. Majority of the asian arowana are captive bred. The breeder used large mud pond to breed their fishes. The arowana you see at your local petshops are from south america, australia, and africa. I would't recommend putting an arowana with koi fish. Arowana(2-3')+teeth+agressive= messed up koi.
      Last edited by koitarget; 01-12-2008 at 10:50 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

koitoo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You can definitely keep more than one arowana in a tank. But you can't keep just two in a tank. When they are small, start out with 5 or 6 in one tank. But most people don't have the facility or money to buy that much at once. Therefore, most will start with one. Once you start with one, you can't add another arowana to the same tank since the previous one owned the entire tank and will try to kill the intruder. I had 4 silver arowanas in my basement 1K gallon concreted pond. They look awesome in a herd especially at feeding time.
      Last edited by koitoo; 01-13-2008 at 12:20 AM.
      Happy Koiing!!! Water and nothing but water or filtration????

moliken is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

had an 18" a long while ago and decided to see how many feeder goldfish he could/would eat at one time: 23.
      he nicked my fingers a couple of times and those teeth are sharp!!

Fishbreeder is offline Resident fisheries biologist
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Jo View Post
      here is a small one..
      That (picture of arrowana) is a "red arrowana" aka "Asian arrowana."

That particular species of arrowana is illegal in ALL US states. Federal, not state law restricts thier possession under the CITES (Convention In the Trade of Endangered Species).

No longer wild captured (excpet by smugglers), these fish are bred on farms for the aquarium trade. Each fish has an implanted microchip, in its skull, identifying it as an individual, where it came from, and the fact that it is legal for international trade under CITES.

However, the US gooberment, in its magnificent and infinite wisdom has not seen fit to allow the trade of these fish in our country.

I have seen specimens in Canada (where they are legal) that have been bred inot a myriad of colors, they are bretahtaking to behold.

Of course being illegal, they are also very expensive in the US. The juveniles (bootleg specimens caught in the wild or stoeln from farms) are smuggled with the use of a coffee cup. The fish is kept in the smuggler's mouth until on the plane, then it is spit into a coffee cup for the trip, back into the mout to get through customs.

Chinese businessmen will have one, for luck, and as long as it thrives, so does the business.

Because they are illegal here, with no legal recourse into the accepted trade around the world, Americans must resort to buying smuggled specimens, further endangering the species. All our infinitely wise gooberheads must do is change the law, thereby protecting the species rather than encouraging its demise.

Beautiful animal.

Brett

sallyboy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by ppp View Post
      Does anyone here keep arowana together with koi? I have read that arowana may occasionally attack koi... Arowana can be pretty vicious fish.
      The local Chinese restaurant has three silver arowana in the same huge fish tank with several koi. They have been together for over six months. All have been getting along very well. As long as the arowana can not swallow the koi, they'll be ok.

okra is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The fish that I saw in Las Vegas had chip implanted. So, it's legal every where except in the US. It's easier to ship those fish with CITES papers around the world. It's harder to get fish without papers.

The good news is that there are people breeding these fish at home in SoCal, even though it's illegal. Either way, they're still expensive.

koitoo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I didn't know people are breeding them in SoCal. Are they successful?

Brett,
      Some people use their baby's milk bottles to smuggled this fish across the border. Float the fish in small bag with milk in the bottle. One guy got caught when he transferred the fish from the bottle to the bag at a rest area. I think he had about 20 of them. Will you ever thinking about breeding them if they become legal in the States?
      Happy Koiing!!! Water and nothing but water or filtration????

okra is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

IDK. I'm not in the loop. I hear these stuffs when I walk around LFS.

All I heard was that one person had babies from local breeding, with no chips nor papers. I kept on walking by because I can't afford them.

Quote Originally Posted by koitoo View Post
      I'm very tempted to add an Australian to my pond. The problem is that the pond get bombarded with hail once or twice a year. I'm planning a new pond with a green house so that I could add more tropical fish. I'm not decided if I'll have the green house. I have a few hundreds fathead minnows in the pond, so I'm sure the Arowana can feed off them.

I had Yoyo loach and have Weather loaches in my pond. I killed the Yoyo when I left a pot of water lily outside the pond. I didn't know that that fish was hiding inside the pot.

lilhelper is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I am tempted to get an arowana now.

Joey S is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

These remind me of some aquarium fish I used to keep - the body shape, fins, color - any relation to gourami? http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/s...cfm?pCatId=882
      For the love of Koi
      Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #4 WWKC

JOIN THE WorldWide Koi Club NOW

Certified Koi Keeper (CKK)

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Boxerluver is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Arowana's are awesome fish! I had a gold asian arowana back in the late seventies. Grew to about 4'. I had him in with my south american cichlids. He patrolled the upper foot of my 125 gallon aquarium. Would not take any mess from any of the cichlids. Cichlids can be very aggressive but the Asian ruled the roost so to speak. You must absolutely keep your tank completely covered as they are great leapers. I lost him when he jumped out of the tank when we were at work. Arowannas are one of the few fish that date back to prehistoric times. I absolutely can watch the specimens at the san Francisco Aquarium for hours. They are in a huge tank with another large fish the aroipama? I think that how it's spelled. These guys must be twelve to fourteen feet! They just glide through the water. I would not advise keeping them with koi. Like most fish, they will grow proportionately to the tank they are kept in. And as some one mentioned earlier they are prodigious eaters. That mouth can open very wide. Great fish to have. Silver arowanas are great fish to have as well, but Asians seem to be more colorful.

Joey S is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If these guys challange cichlids - well they are beautiful, but I have NO place to keep one. I'm just learning about Goldies. Got a few wakins, too. If my Koi could just get to 30", I'd be a happy camper.
      For the love of Koi
      Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #4 WWKC

JOIN THE WorldWide Koi Club NOW

Certified Koi Keeper (CKK)

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koitoo View Post

Brett,
      Some people use their baby's milk bottles to smuggled this fish across the border. Float the fish in small bag with milk in the bottle. One guy got caught when he transferred the fish from the bottle to the bag at a rest area. I think he had about 20 of them. Will you ever thinking about breeding them if they become legal in the States?
      If I could get my hands on some, I'd wanna do the breeding and selling BEFORE they became legal. I learnt long ago that if you are bootlegging, you can get bootlegger's prices.

Just another example of how an intrusive and Draconian government can interefere with the lives of ordinary, law abiding, citizens. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to not allow trade in Asian arrowanas in the US.

Brett

lilhelper is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbreeder View Post
      If I could get my hands on some, I'd wanna do the breeding and selling BEFORE they became legal. I learnt long ago that if you are bootlegging, you can get bootlegger's prices.

Just another example of how an intrusive and Draconian government can interefere with the lives of ordinary, law abiding, citizens. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to not allow trade in Asian arrowanas in the US.

Brett
      I agree. We should legalize the trade of these animals, especially if they are implanted with a chip. I think that the exotic arowana are an animal that got meaninglessly tied with a law that didnt need to be put on the fish. Sad sad sad.
      Last edited by lilhelper; 01-14-2008 at 02:39 PM.

hemle is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i wouldnt mind having one of those red asian ones even if its illegal. =)
      i also wouldnt see why they are so dangerous if released into the wild. these fish are like super sensitive to changes in climate and weather. i doubt they would live in the U.S. without care.
      Koi first
      Girlfriend second

Headache is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by hemle View Post
      i also wouldnt see why they are so dangerous if released into the wild. these fish are like super sensitive to changes in climate and weather. i doubt they would live in the U.S. without care.
      I will guess you haven't seen any of the story's about some of the Tropical Fish Florida is dealing with now (Peacock Bass , Oscars , Walking Catfish , Etc.) . They will live in those waters and even some waters North of Florida . Living in KY all my life (I was in the Pet Store Business in the 70's-80's) I can remember alot of stories about Tropicals being free'ed into local water ways (How long they would live in KY , who knows) . One person posted about Snakeheads living in the D.C. area , Now thats a fish you don't want to mess with (3 to 4 ft. of Teeth) . Had one , I know !

I think the big reason for the "Bans" on certain fish is because of what they could do in US waters when the Hobbiest get tired of feeding these beast or run out of room . Most Tropical Fish Hobbiest when they buy something like this are not told how BIG there going to get (A Shame) so their hands become tied , because your local Pet Store doesn't want it back .

My 2 cents

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Little known rule in Texas....

If you sell a pet fish, you are OBLIGATED to take it back from the person you sold it to. You don;t have to pay for it, you don;t have to keep it alive, you just have to take it back and dispose of it.

Irresponsible people turn pet fish loose all the time, it can create huge problems.

Florida being the good example. Walking catfish, tilapia, oscars, etc. plants like giant salvinia, water hyacinth, water luttuce, etc. These exotic species can wreak havoc on native ecosystems.

However, in the case of the Asian arrowana, it is not the danger of the fish to the environment that is the issue, it is the fact the species is on the CITES list as an endangered species.

Of course this issue has been worked out where the rest of the world is concerned, our backwardness prevents us from being a part of the rest of the world in some cases, like this one. Heck we still try and figure fuel, food, water and everythiing else in the very diffciult to learn and extremely antiquated English System. Rest of the world works in metric, an intuitive, easy to learn and easy to cipher in yur head system.

I had hoped we'd have fixed this problem before my kids were grown, but alas, they must learn both systems and how to convert from one to the other, an unnecessary mess of information tying up useful brain power.

I work with things like "Grams per gallon" which requires a number to go with it, 0.0038, to figure parts per million. But, grams per metric ton gives you the same figure (parts per million) with no numbers to have to remember.

Aks a Japanese koi keepr how much water is in his pond, he answers in tons (metric tons), not in gallons. If his ponds is 10 tons, and he wants to get a part per million of something in his water, he easily figures ten grams worth.

Same problem in English system....

10 tons is 2640 gallons.

So in the 2640 gallon pond we want 1 ppm of say, PP.

2640 gallons x 0.0038 grams per gallon = 10 grams

Hadda do that one with a calculator.

Brett

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12