• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Hollow trunk??????

Robert is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hollow trunk??????

Not much going on in the bonsai world right now so thought I'd show ya a recent tree that I'm trying to decide which direction to go with.

It's a Trident Maple about 10 inches tall, in good scale for trunk and branching, nebar not to bad (better when moss is removed).

As you can see in pic's. the trunk chop is healing nicely. Been thinking about doing a hollow trunk technique sort of like the swamp maple in the last pic..

I think it would give it more of an aged look, and I love carving dead wood

Welcome comments/suggestions, or any inspiration pictures
      Attached Images Attached Images
      The only finished bonsai is a dead one
      V. Wood "92

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

dick benbow is offline "The Koi Coach"
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Robert,
      Your main focus was on the possibility of a hollowed trunk which would add interest to the tree. But what I struggle with is it's ramrod straight base up to the projected feature. the Nebari is nice but what I'm suggesting is that
      after the tree is over the insult of the hollowing, that you pitch it forward
      in the first picture angle about 25% more or less.
      I think the line of the tree would more naturally suggest that this growth had started off on an angle and due to wind took the main trunk and damaged it as it became to be top heavy at that angle. Most things like this in nature don't occurr on a ramrod straight up and down trunk. It might mean
      loosing some front nebari as you pitch the angle at replant the following year.
      Since you enjoy this process, I know you know that the insides have to be engineered properly to allow rain not to pocket or allowed set but to be angled off and allowed to run thru the base of the hollow, so I just mention that so others who might want to begin studying the hobby would have something to be aware about besides just the outward appearances.
      I quess my hunch comes from the various sensae's I studyied under that insisted that whatever we did to the tree that it looked beleiveable in nature,
      Most classic trees have good movement in the base and growth refined at the tips and leaves full back to the main trunk along the length of the limbs.
      So in the development of the tree, I hope you can do some cutting back on the tip growth to help refine the growth and hopefully push some dormant buds into coming forth along closer to the base of the limbs.
      I see this tree planted in an oval pot that is yellow-green in color, with clumps of dark green moss scattered around the base. I think at repotting I'd be tempted to put a squarish rock in the back in what I would call a partial root over rock position as the reason why the trunk was angled forward. The rock would be a darker grey than the bark to contrast.
      I have a korean boxwood that I put in the ground last year to repair from the loss of it's trunk that has come back quickly. I found the perfect pot for it and am waiting for the sale that somes at the start of the new year to make it more affordable. BUT as you suggest this is the time to be thinking about what needs to be done in improving our trees.
      Bout time we saw some activity in the bonsai thread!
      Dick Benbow
      "The Koi Coach"
      member Team Purdin

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ohh, I like that idea Dick.

I was thinking about putting some lean in the trunk at next re-pot as the nebar on the back side of the tree is set lower on the trunk than the front. Hadn't thought about using a rock to make it look like mother nature pushed it that way. Great thought .

Don't have much in the selection of rocks laying around, but is this something of the way you were thinking? Or something more of a flatter rock at soil level pushing on the nebar?

Thanks, Robert
      V. Wood "92

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hey, the lean is about right and the grey rock is about what i was thinking!
      Wow! Would bury the rock a little better than half but I like it!
      Dick Benbow
      "The Koi Coach"
      member Team Purdin

Cowiche Ponder is offline Living my life's dream
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I admire your guys' patience in working with these natural works of art! I have Jap maples..but not the time or patience for what you guys are doing!!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Like koi, it's an affliction Mary. Japanese maples are fun to work with at age 2-3 when about the diameter of a pencil and about 2-3 feet tall. What you do at this stage is to clip off the tree just above the second growth nodual. If the first nodulal has a branch left and right you cut off the lesser looking of the two then as the second nodules developes into branches you eliminate the one on the same side as the first branch. This second branch becomes the new trunk and you let it extend till the next year cutting it back to just above the first nodual, forcing the next branching to zig back and forth as it progresses upward. Takes years but in 10-20 years you have something pretty nice.

I can tell in the short time Robert and I have exchanged ideas on this thread that he's a bonsai kichii, too bad we don't live closer together. I've talked to the city I live in's recereation dept to see if I can put on a bonsai class this spring. I think they're waiting to see how I do with the pond building one at the end of january.
      Dick Benbow
      "The Koi Coach"
      member Team Purdin

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Nice day so decided to get some work done on the trunk. The trunk is hollowed all the way to the opening at the base. Now just need to wait a couple years and let Mother Nature do her thing .

Robert
      V. Wood "92

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

so when does the family of squrrels move in?
      Dick Benbow
      "The Koi Coach"
      member Team Purdin

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Trident Maple update

Thought I'd show ya where I went with the maple this season. Instead of waiting for mother nature (she's sooo slow) I carved out the tree some more.

Dick, I'm still looking for a slightly larger pot so can incorporate a rock into the design. I kind of like this one but $$$$ so still looking.

Robert
      V. Wood "92

BillJ is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
      Thought I'd show ya where I went with the maple this season. Instead of waiting for mother nature (she's sooo slow) I carved out the tree some more.

Dick, I'm still looking for a slightly larger pot so can incorporate a rock into the design. I kind of like this one but $$$$ so still looking.

Robert

That thing looks so much like a tree about a block from my boyhood home. Someone had filled it with concrete.
      I don't know a single thing about bonsai,but when I see them I always wish I'd spent the last couple of decades learning about them. Some are astonishing,even to my untrained eye. Looks great,Bob.

Bill

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I like what you've accomplished this summer. I understand about expensive pots as i have that trouble as well these days. While the color is good in your selected pot with it's reddish brown, maybe a plain oval pot in whiteish grey would bring the grey out in the bark and be less expensive. per the rock, again you'll have to find a color that matches the grey or reddish brown.

Consider your carving talents to be pretty good......
      Dick Benbow
      "The Koi Coach"
      member Team Purdin

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007