• Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3138394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1.000.000 gallon pond

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Fun times ahead.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

secuono is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Love it! ♡

Did you figure out what happened to all the winter lost koi?
      My guess is predators.
      I never had colorful fry survive, and one day, I found out why. A kingfisher was getting them. Put up a net and now they survive.

Haab is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Episode 26:

The 1.000.000 Gallon Koipond - E026 - Finishing the 2016 upgrade

In this video, we finish the 2016 upgrade. The excavator leaves, and a new a new fence will come in place. To knock down hundreds of fence posts, Is a heavy manual job! In the next video, the focus changes to 2017. This spring 80 small Yamabuki (Marudo) tosai will arrive from Japan. We will follow the preparation before the arrival, QT - periode, and releasing them into the pond. In the summer, the 2017 upgrade begins.

Link

Subscribe to my YouTube-channel - "The 1.000.000 Gallon Koipond"

The journey continues, now with a massive upgrade of the pond and its surroundings, and the arrival of new tosai in 2017

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Wow, what a transformation! Just looking at all those fence posts makes my body hurt!
      The yamabuki's are going to look great in there.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

*** ... More snow ?! Are you serious?!??

The journey continues, now with a massive upgrade of the pond and its surroundings, and the arrival of new tosai in 2017

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Wow, what a transformation! Just looking at all those fence posts makes my body hurt!
      The yamabuki's are going to look great in there.
      Thanks

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by secuono View Post
      Love it! ♡

Did you figure out what happened to all the winter lost koi?
      My guess is predators.
      I never had colorful fry survive, and one day, I found out why. A kingfisher was getting them. Put up a net and now they survive.
      Hi Secuono

The answer to your question is in this video

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Episode 27:

In this episode, we start a new serie! Follow the arrival of 80 new koi from Marudo in Japan. On April 13, I picked up 80 small Yamabuki tosai at the airport. In this episode we will see them for the first time. In this serie, we will follow the preparations, the quarantine prosess, the growing of thees small koi, and of course, the release of them all into the big pond this summer.

Link

Christian B is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Varför köper du 80 yambuki till din damm? Om några år kommer du ha över 500 yamabuki. Skall du starta Koifarm?
      Du har en kanonfin damm och omgivning är riktigt vacker men det blir rätt ointransant att se drönarfilmat 75% av varje avsnitt.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Christian
      Thanks for your reply. I will answer in (my kind of ) English so everyone will understand what we are discussing. You have some really good questions. First; I ordered Yamabuki because Im really happy with how they "stand out" in the pond. I considered to order Platinum, but decided to go for Yamabuki since I already had a few in the pond. And I ordered one box with koi, and the one with 80 was the one i decided gave me the most for my money. For a small pond, I would have ordered just a few fish for the same amount of money (= HQ koi), but in this mudpond, I will have to calculate a los of fish very year. The goal (and hope) is that most will survive and make a pretty sight for years to come. I will invest heavy in a new aeration system (from Keeton Industries) this summer to higher the odds for that to happen. Just like last time I added a lot of fish (wen I added 130 koi in 2010) , I expect a lot of fry. But I expect the same result. 99,99 of the fry will not survive because of the winter (they can not survive without food from October to June). Because of that, there are zero chance of 500 Yamabuki in a few years time. But f so happens to be the case, I will be very happy

The reason that I use my drone for most of my videos in the "2016 - A massive upgrade begins", are simply to the fact that I like flying/filming with a drone. Its very easy and saves me a lot of time. And in a pond like this, its difficult to get an overview if your not "flying". But when I add the new koi to the pond, I will use some of my other cameras. This is not a "how to-channel", and the channel is not made to get as many subscribers or viewers as possible (but I really appreciate every single one of you watch and/or subscribe to my videos And lets not forget all those of you that have folled this tread for almost 10 years now ). As my son said, "Dad - if you want to be a YouTuber; why dont you make videos about something people are interested in?!? =PokeMon Go)" This is simply a documentary about this single mudpond. When I master Adobe Premier Pro OK, I will experiment more with my cameras. But its not only money that are limited, but also time. I have to prioritize hard. Every week Im asking myself; why bother about documenting this. Well, I like it - and I know a few others that also like it. Thats all there is to it. Im working on a homepage, and that will contain videos about other "fish/aquarium-projects Im working on" - and those will be without a single dronemovie

But I have a question; WHAT WOULD YOU PEOPLE LIKE TO SEE FROM THIS MUDPOND PROJECT? I will really appreciate every single tips

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Haab, l love to have a pond like that but insted of geting so many Koi i rather go for some few. imagine 100 dead Koi, rotten over winter. Now we talking surströmming. (IF they not manage the winter)
      My strategy would be to grow up some few jumbos. (Only females) If Possible try to separate a small part of the pond with a opening just for da Koi to get in. Heat up that water.
      Your projekt is brilliant. And you have done a great job.
      Hope the best of this project.
      Last edited by Christian B; 04-30-2017 at 02:13 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Christian B View Post
      Haab, l love to have a pond like that but insted of geting so many Koi i rather go for some few. imagine 100 dead Koi, rotten over winter. Now we talking surströmming. (IF they not manage the winter)
      My strategy would be to grow up some few jumbos. (Only females) If Possible try to separate a small part of the pond with a opening just for da Koi to get in. Heat up that water.
      Your projekt is brilliant. And you have done a great job.
      Hope the best of this project.
      Hi, Christian

I have been through the prossess of picking up a lot of dead koi before. In 2010-2011 I lost 130 koi due to bird-attacks and the following hard winter. That was a tough experience. I lost all my motivation for koi-keeping for several years. I hope I will never experience anything like that again. I have added a few jumbos the last few years, and they have survived. 10-years ago my thoughts was exactly like yours. But now I understand that I need quite a few koi in the pond to bee able to see them. I have decided to do this in 3 steps. 1) Take down most of the threes to reduce the bio-load in the water. 2) Add a greate aeration-system to better the water-quality 3) If necessary - build a connected (and heated) small pond connected with a tunnel nearby for the koi to get in during the winter. I hope to avoid number 3, but if I have to - I will do it.

Thanks again for all you input. And if you have an ide about what you (if anything) would like to see from this pond, please let me know. Its difficult to try to make something interesting every week

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Haab, once a week? Better to update when you fel like It. You Put Your self under presure.
      I wanna see your Koi, indoor, outdoor, under water, eating mosquitos... growing big...
      You might have to kill Your darling for some episodes...
      why dont you take some pictures of the Koi scene in norway, visiting some stores, other ponds...
      No more trees.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Episode 28:

The 1.000.000 Gallon Koipond - E28 - Caring for 80 tosai

In this episode, we can see the changes in the behavior of the 80 tosai as the temperatur raises. When they arrived the the temperatur was 12 C. At that temperatur they where not moving more than they had to. As the temperatur slowly raises to 21 C the tosai wakes up.

Link

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Episode 29:

The 1.000.000 Gallon Koipond - E29 - A new beginning

In this episode, the spring wakes up the pond. Will the first koi show up?

Link

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Episode 30:

The 1.000.000 Gallon Koipond - E30 - The hunt for koi continues

As the surroundings (and the pond!) starts to get green, and the sun heats the pond, the hunt for my five koi continues. Have they survived the long winter, and the long and cold spring?

Link

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Episode 31:

The 1.000.000 Gallon Koipond - E31 - Still too cold

Even though June is approaching, it is still to cold to see any koi. But the ducks thrives, and soon there will be ducklings.

Link

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The 1.000.000 Gallon Koipond - E32 - A long Norwegian spring

While the ducks and the ducklings really enjoy the pond , I wait impatiently for warmer weather. The water temperatur in the mudpond needs to get a bit higer before the 80 tosai are added. A few more weeks, and we will start to manually remove the grass from the pond, and add the new aeration system to the pond.

Link

stephen is online now Koiphen Member
      WWKC Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #2
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The game is back on

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3138394041424344 ... LastLast