• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY & MODs (do it yourself / make your own) 3rd edition.

boggen is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

(Quartine ) QT tanks / Temp tanks / hospital tanks ** mostly pictures **

(Quartine ) QT tanks / Temp tanks / hospital tanks ** mostly pictures **
      6' show tank by anthonym
      a simple qt setup. With some DIY filters
      wood and liner 1 by irish
      a simple qt setup, not the best, but better than nothing! Would advise against this qt tank setup for others. But like all, ya gotta work with what ya got, and boy do i know about working with what ya got. There be a few good pointers in this build, along with some good use of materials that irish has pulled off. to make it work for him.
      putting together a kiddies pool by morph
      great step by step guide in putting all the pieces together for a "intex" 1200 gallon pool. That will be used as a temp tank, not much on filters, but geared just putting the pool together mainly.
      wood frame and liner 2 by angeljim
      not a lot of details or construction information. But there are some construction tips and dealing with bowing of the sides of wood tanks, that other builds, do not go into, in great detail, if anything it is worth checking out just for the tips.
      wood frame and liner, diy filters by turtleguy
      abit of a different setup than normal. And in that using a siphon line. Most folks do not encourge siphon lines, due to air builds up in the top of the pipe. And can stop the siphioning effect. Which can cause the pump to run dry. But beyond that, some good info and pictures
      stock tank by boggen
      my own little indoor pond, needless to say not much for construction pictures, or a lot of details.
      ag tank / well tank by kent wallace
      abit decked out with rock work around it. But just using the ag tank alone should be good enough. Not much details or constructin info. But may give you a few idea's
      show tank, diy filters / bought filters by PrettyBoy
      a couple qt tanks with separate filtrers, not a lot of details, but if ya looked at others you may comprehend this one right off the get go.
      wood frame and liner diy all the way by vipldy / jaddigger
      not a lot of details, and for most part the tank itself mimics other builds, but there lids are unquie in themselves! Take a look
      wood frame and liner 5 by graham
      not a lot of details, but the picture speak for themsleves, graham has a thread some place around here that has more info. Or perhaps its on another website. That gives a lot more info. For his complete indoor pond building and fish tanks. If ya want to know more just ask am sure you will get feedback from graham or other folks
      taking wood frame and liner to next step by simi koi
      not a lot of details for constrruction. But some extra info for those long above ground diy tanks, along with taking it to next step, and raising the tank up off the ground with lumber to plumb in normal bottom drains, and not retro drains, like many others.
      wood from and liner 7 by ericc
      abit different style with lath boards (hopes that right) instead of plywoods for the sides. Not a lot of detail or pictures, but may give you a different style idea, check it out.
      Your Very Own
      DIY ITEM OR MODIFICATION
      Could Be Right Here!
      Join the Koiphen Family and start asking questions
      before you know it something of yours may show up right here!
      Your Very Own
      DIY ITEM OR MODIFICATION
      Could Be Right Here!

Pond and Construction Forum 101 good place for any first timers to the forum. for finding resources and general info.

Ryan

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

(Quartine ) QT tanks / Temp tanks / hospital tanks ** actuall construction of the ta

(Quartine ) QT tanks / Temp tanks / hospital tanks ** actuall construction of the tanks **
      wood, fiberglass by ajm808
      oringally when ajm808 started posting, there was concern with bracing of the pond, but after that was worked out, the tank really took off with lots of details and info over entire porject. Picture showing extra bracing added.
      wood frame and liner 6 by bruceP and Thee
      good info and a lot of pictures. From pictures, one wonders, if they eat at the fish tank with the bar stool, and almost bar like side.
      kids pool, diy filters / bought filters by harveythekoi
      the diy'er himself "Garret" is at it again, and in this episode he is building a basic Temp pond setup. For his wet pets, as he upgrades there main pond.
      wood frame and liner 4 by bigtylor
      a wealth of details and pictures for this over wintering tank of hers and hubbies. One of those moments of being caught on tape or rather pictures, as she grins ear to ear filling the tank the first time.
      wood frame and liner 3 by valarc
      a wealth of information, the info and details are abit scattered through out this step by step guide, as he gets help with some varying problems throughout the build.
      silo bin ring / ring tank by carolinagirl
      one of the more unquie doings, instead of a kiddies pool, a ring from a grain bin / silo bin is used. A wealth of information and pictures. In this redo of her pond. Pic showing before picture, before the redo
      wood frame and liner with a window! by auntiesue
      a wealth of information and pictures, for the step by step guide, this is one of them that you should take a look at if you have some basics questions of how things go togther.
      QT 1000 gal (cast cement pond) by Charles Pearson (Pg.2)
      lots of details, pictures, ,in this step by step guide,
      stock tank, diy all the way by steve amy
      a wealth of information, and pictures, gives a nice shoot of there bulkhead nut wrench as well.
      stock tank, diy all the way 2 by cindy
      with her portable air supply, to her little box to hold here pumps. She does have some great ideas, that work. There is not a lot of details, but the pictures are self explantory. And if not take a look at other qt tanks / temp tanks and you should quickly catch on. if not just ask.
      Dale & Patti's QT - archive by wcstory by Gene (Pg.2)
      abit of old school filteration , but for a QT tank, combo filter, and general shower filter. It has worked for them and others.
      Click Here
      wood frame and liner qt 8 by B
      at this moment in time qt is still under construction.
      Your Very Own
      DIY ITEM OR MODIFICATION
      Could Be Right Here!
      Your Very Own
      DIY ITEM OR MODIFICATION
      Could Be Right Here!

Last edited by boggen; 08-26-2007 at 09:42 AM.
      Pond and Construction Forum 101 good place for any first timers to the forum. for finding resources and general info.

Ryan

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

old stuff that is on a short leg of getting removed from this thead.

old stuff that is on a short leg of getting removed from this thead.
      R.M. Stock Tank Bottom Drain by woodyahtl (Pg.3)
      pictures no longer load on the thread :/
      Jap matting to Kaldness media by Maurice Cox (www.koi-uk.co.uk) (Pg.3)
      webpage no longer there or not working for myself :/
      World Famous SKIPPY Filter by Skippy
      Homemade Bulkhead fittings by Garden Endeavors

Ryan

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

waterwheels / home made diy fountains / and home made waterfall weirs

waterwheels / home made diy fountains / and home made waterfall weirs
      N/A na by na
      blamning this on one of our other members for over foundness of waterwheels. Will reorder this up into the above posts. When time allows.
      N/A na by na
      in mean time, am looking for those threads folks were are they ? Who has done it? Lets see them!
      Your Very Own
      DIY ITEM OR MODIFICATION
      Could Be Right Here!
      Your Very Own
      DIY ITEM OR MODIFICATION
      Could Be Right Here!

Last edited by boggen; 08-23-2007 at 12:00 PM.

Ryan

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

air lifts / and jets (aka sending high speed water into a slower flowing water in a l

air lifts / and jets (aka sending high speed water into a slower flowing water in a larger pipe. to move more water.)
      N/A na by na
      blamning this one on myself, in attempt to obtain higher flow rates at less power consumption / use renewable energy.
      N/A na by na
      will sneek this up into other threads, as time allows, in mean time. Were are those threads? I know there out there, but were?
      Your Very Own
      DIY ITEM OR MODIFICATION
      Could Be Right Here!
      Your Very Own
      DIY ITEM OR MODIFICATION
      Could Be Right Here!

Last edited by boggen; 08-23-2007 at 12:01 PM.

Ryan

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

plumbing how to's / pressure testing plumbing / valves / stand pipes / and the like.

plumbing how to's / pressure testing plumbing / valves / stand pipes / and the like.
      extension handles for valves by aartwmich
      READ the thread!!! There are some cautions that should be taken into consideration that the thread gives info on!. Just a wrong twist on a ball valve and pop goes the handle. And a lot of digging will be required to fix that broken handle.
      extension handles for valves by Bonnie-IN
      READ the thread!!! There are some cautions that should be taken into consideration that the thread gives info on!. Just a wrong twist on a ball valve and pop goes the handle. And a lot of digging will be required to fix that broken handle.
      pvc pipe bending, trick of the trade by sellis
      good info and pictures, of bent pvc pipe
      other pvc bending threads by unknown creator
      doesn't seem like enough direct info to give them each there own spot. So with that click on one of the following links ( click here 1 ) ( click here 2 ) ( click here 3 ) ( click here 4 ) ( click here 5 ) picture is from 5th link from garrets post. for other info do a search for "PVC BEND" on the forums
      N/A water manifolds = (wye's or tee's and valves) by unknown creator
      everyone's manifold is going to be different in some way. Below links should help ya get an idea in different ways folks have went about setting up there manifold. ( click here 1 ), ( click here 2 ), ( click here 3 ), ( click here 4 )
      N/A air manifolds = (wye's or tee's and valves) by unknown creator
      everyone's manifold is going to be different in some way. Below links should help ya get an idea in different ways folks have went about setting up there manifold. ( click here 1 ), ( click here 2 ), ( click here 3 )
      N/A PRESSURE TESTING INFO by unknown creator
      PRESSURE TEST YOUR PLUMBING FOLKS! FIND THE LEAKS BEFORE ITS TO LATE! ( click here 1 ), ( click here 2 ), ( click here 3 ), ( click here 4 )
      N/A tips and tricks for threaded connections by unknown creator
      some tips and tricks for threaded plumbing connections( click here 1 ), ( click here 2 )
      Click Here
      finding a leak after pond is built by mrpig
      what to do, to finding leak, after pond is completely built.1-6 steps in finding a leak on your pond. what to do and what to check first and how to check it
      Click Here
      other tips and tricks in finding a leak by unknown creator
      Description: n/a yet.
      Click Here
      finding a leak, after pond is fully built. by unknown creator
      Click Here
      uniseal leaking by unknown creator
      to big of a hole / didn't prepare hole correctly
      Click Here
      bulkhead leaking by unknown creator
      liner streaching / improper cut of hole
      Click Here
      priming pot / leaf basket pot leaking by unknown creator
      common air leak comes from O-ring / gasket on the pot.
      Click Here
      bottom drain leaking. by unknown creator
      flange / screws were not on / in correctly.
      Click Here
      fitting leak by unknown creator
      didn't turn pipe / fitting like suppose to. Or didn't remove burs
      Click Here
      bottom drain testing by unknown creator
      picture of bottom drain. that has a peice of liner over drain. as pressure tests are done on the bottom drain plumbing.
      Click Here
      tips and tricks for pipe and fittings by unknown creator
      tips and tricks for gluing / solvent welding your pipe and fittings
      Click Here
      pipe boot leak by milaut
      Click Here
      knive valve extensio handles by mrpig
      easy extension handle for knife valves that have a scew off handle
      Click Here
      not sure what to call it. by unknown creator
      liner pulling away from pipe going through liner leak.
      Click Here
      not sure what to call it. by unknown creator
      liner pulling away from skimmer leak.

Last edited by boggen; 01-05-2008 at 04:56 AM.

Ryan

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Updates / Misc Info Upon Thread

Q/A and misc info
      if ya got some project going on, create a thread, and give some details upon it. and then reply to this thread or PM me, the thread. so i actully see thread. btw we love pictures!

if you have your own website, or see something some place else that you like or think will help others. reply to this thread or PM me the link, and will see what can be done.

if its one of your projects here. and ya want something changed PM me or reply to this thread. *i am not a mind reader*

personal note: i know my little comments beside the pictures may seem harsh from time to time pending on view point. and its not my intent to be harsh, but to help those coming into the hobby, along with obtain some general standing to judge things by. so folks have some idea of what they are looking at. i know i have been wrong before, and i know i will be in the wrong again. case in point, i was harsh in my comment with "sdgeorge" with his (what ya should not do. ( QT tank )) and a few months later he replyed it held just fine till he was done with it. if it works, who am i to say is what is good or bad.

with above said. lets see those failers or uth oh's. many times it takes many failers to make something awesome by old trail and error. lets learn from each others mistakes and failers. and not repeat it over again.

=============================================

hoping to spur on some additional links from all of you for the following. to help fill up the given areas, i know there out there, but sifting through all of it, is more time consuming than i am willing to take on at current moment in time. if ya come across some thread. PM me or reply to this thread plz! this include you newbies as well!!! if it seemed good let me know about! i know ya prolly taking some notes down. the stuff doesn't have to be in any order what so ever. a link is good enough for me.
      • old school filteration
        • looking for those japaneese long recantgular style setups. many times seen with filter brushes and mat type media.
      • Fake Rocks (making your own)
        • i be willing to bet you watergardners have some plant pots or of the like that could be used here.
      • those thinking, that it is just digging a hole and dropping in a liner, is all it takes, for a pond
        • lets hear about those horror stories!
      • bead filters / conversion of sand filters / sand filters
        • more speficiall sand filter conversions. and or upflow / down flow conversions, or use of different media's.
      • concrete collars, DIY concrete block pond shell creation.
        • i know there are some good threads out there already. but were are they? help plz.
      • skimmers / skimmer modifications
        • looking for a cheep pool skimmer that has no leaf basket, with skimmer that is modified for gravity flow ((normally larger outlet)) water and leafs goto a static basket settling chamber.
      • air lifts / and jets (aka sending high speed water into a slower flowing water in a larger pipe. to move more water.)
        • i know there are a few builds out there! were are they?[/LIST
      • waterwheels / home made diy fountains / and home made waterfall weirs
        • i realize we have a waterfall thread out there, but it is mainly pictures and short descriptions. thought about placing some of the more in detail threads. here. to help folks pickup on some of the more common doings for waterfalls, along with some info for waterwheels and other misc things.

UPDATES
      1-5-2008
      added all links / info that was noted scince last update, into there respective areas. fixed problem again, with index post / 1st post. were click here was not linking correctly to individual posts.
      8-26-2007
      massive update of varying items, i still have to go through some threads and pull out some indivudal builds, and get pictures and discriptions for varying other builds.
      8-23-2007
      alot more updates, some minor changes to thread.
      8-22-2007
      added alot of extra DIY and MODS.
      creation of 3rd edition of DIY & MODS

excel file, and how to use it, to create your own like DIY / MOD thread or for moderators / admins in how to edit this thread. without messing things up.

plz see attached word.documents with some basic HOW TO's and Instrections for the Excel spread sheet file.
      --the text version, is just some basic steps.
      --the picture version, there is no real order to it, but gives better idea of what and were things are, and what you need to do.

p.s. take note in in the documents. it describes you will need to copy and paste some cells within excel file. after first downloading and opening up the excel file for first time use. and that you will most likely need to delete the same cells if you wish to save the excel file and re-upload it back up to the forum.
      --copy, Cells K21 through BQ 21,
      --then select Cells K22 through K600, and paste what was just copied.
      --these cells can make the a difference in file size from 11,000kb to less than 500kb. a huge difference!
      Attached Files Attached Files
      Last edited by boggen; 01-05-2008 at 05:14 AM.

Ryan

Gene is offline Supporting Member
      is Still Alive!

Feeling:
      Happy

I noticed that there is a photo missing on the Dale and Patti's QT after it was set-up. Here are a couple.

Last edited by Gene; 08-23-2007 at 06:01 PM.
      Gene

WWKC Lifetime Pro Member #1

http://www.koiclay.com

The only failures are those that stop trying! There is a very thin line between procrastination and delayed gratification. You won't be happy with what you want, if you aren't happy with what you have. It's not what you are looking at, but where you are looking from.

luke-gr is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Birdman jsut did this one.....
      http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68132

It probably is not done yet with questions and such.

Joey S is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Ryan. You're the BEST.
      For the love of Koi
      Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

Click for Jacksonville, Florida Forecast

Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #4 WWKC

JOIN THE WorldWide Koi Club NOW

Certified Koi Keeper (CKK)

KoiBoy2008 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks 4 Continuing my Work..

hi Ryan,

its been a long time since i have been back here, and glad that someone was able to continue my DIY page. i've been bz with my 2yr. old daughter all this time.

i'm Pochacco (original designer) can't remember my old login name, so now i'm KoiBoy2008

well time to do some research on above ground pond construction.
      Last edited by KoiBoy2008; 05-13-2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: found out my old id..

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by KoiBoy2008 View Post
      hi Ryan,

its been a long time since i have been back here, and glad that someone was able to continue my DIY page. i've been bz with my 2yr. old daughter all this time.

i'm Pochacco (original designer) can't remember my old login name, so now i'm KoiBoy2008

well time to do some research on above ground pond construction.
      *looks at your signature* not a wwkc member? awe puts.

and here shortly going to be putting this old thread to rest in the archives. and perhaps a couple others. for favor of wwkc that is nearing completion awe databased info! no more slaving!

Ryan

russianred95 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Waterfall wier-- I copied a guy that made his waterfall wier. It turned out very nice and under 20 dollars for everything. (pics are in my build thread) Please add this to your collection of info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVGAR1k5e18

cindy is offline WWKC Vice President
      is God is good

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      one of the very best threads ever
      My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

K.O.I.

Member: EIHIOICGI

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...nd-Information

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...06#post2606106 Show thread

is God is good

Feeling:
      Happy

bbump
      My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

K.O.I.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It took a lot of time to put this all together on this thread. It is one of the best threads ever in regards to various filtration systems.

Probably just about as many filter variations as there are ponds.

rcmike is online now Supporting Member
      is Still learning every day!

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by kdh View Post
      It took a lot of time to put this all together on this thread. It is one of the best threads ever in regards to various filtration systems.

Probably just about as many filter variations as there are ponds.
      Yep, I remember loo,ing at this thread many years ago when I built my pond. Btw, what ever happened to boggen?

is God is good

Feeling:
      Happy

Shows he checked in in Oct. I miss him

K.O.I.

velvetbone is offline Supporting Member
      is Still Learning

Feeling:
      Awesome

V

rcmike is online now Supporting Member
      is Still learning every day!

Feeling:
      Happy

Yeah, I'm hoping he just got burned out and nothing happened to him.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast