• Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 92 of 93 FirstFirst ... 828990919293 LastLast
    Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 1852

Thread: My Water Garden to Koi Pond in just TWO WEEKS!!!!

Sweetwater is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well done. And I see you missed the existing underground service. LOL Did you decide what size of conduit you are going to install? From miles of experience I would recommend 2".

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Leekinneykoi is offline Supporting Member
      is 17 years and still working on
      the 2 week pond

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
      Well done. And I see you missed the existing underground service. LOL Did you decide what size of conduit you are going to install? From miles of experience I would recommend 2".
      My cousin does commercial restaurants and such electric,plumbing,refrigeration, he is hard to get here but I did and he told me not to waste so much money on conduit and big wire, for all I am running he said 60-70 amp box in garage, not 100. And told me to but #6 romax direct bury wire and a 60 amp breaker for inside the house. So I did but will use 1" conduit for the shallow end by the house and the 10-15 ft near the garage just to have it run up the walls and inside. The deep section will be just buried and is right at the edge of where the concrete drive will be, it is 36" deep along there.
      For not wasting money the wire some fittings/glue/4 sections conduit just cost me $428.
      My favorite Quotes:

The person who makes no mistakes usually does not make anything.
      Everything starts as somebody's daydream
      Experience is a dear teacher, but fools will learn from no other

Proud Annual Charter Member # 3

Sweetwater is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Leekinneykoi View Post
      My cousin does commercial restaurants and such electric,plumbing,refrigeration, he is hard to get here but I did and he told me not to waste so much money on conduit and big wire, for all I am running he said 60-70 amp box in garage, not 100. And told me to but #6 romax direct bury wire and a 60 amp breaker for inside the house. So I did but will use 1" conduit for the shallow end by the house and the 10-15 ft near the garage just to have it run up the walls and inside. The deep section will be just buried and is right at the edge of where the concrete drive will be, it is 36" deep along there.
      For not wasting money the wire some fittings/glue/4 sections conduit just cost me $428.
      Good decision. You wanted cheap and safe and I think you are well on your way. Well.... As cheap as electrical work can be. It will be safe though. At least you don't have to pay an electrician.

the 2 week pond

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
      Good decision. You wanted cheap and safe and I think you are well on your way. Well.... As cheap as electrical work can be. It will be safe though. At least you don't have to pay an electrician.
      Thanks, I know if we had inspections and code inforced it would likely have been #4 but my cousin said even #8 would be fine for what I was doing and to trust him, well I do. I have seen some amazing stuff and some people are so lucky, there is a guy not far away that ran #10 house wire in a garden hose to save money for his garage and they have welders,5HP large compressor, tons of tools, my cousin warned that he would burn that wire up, but the guy should play the lotto it has held up for 15 years that way
      My favorite Quotes:

the 2 week pond

Feeling:
      ----

I have mostly been working on the garage/electric and am happy to say I have 2 door openers,lights/and outlets with no fire or explosions.
      The pictures below show the progress from 6-23-12 to today, I was off the week of the 4th (hottest of the year of course) and got most of the garage stuff done then, I ran out of underwear and socks in 5 days from all the sweating and showers every time I had to run somewhere Oh yea that chunk of thinwall pvc you see in a pile of dirt was one of my leach lines, I was so sure it could not be where I was digging when I hit the pipe I just yanked and 2 foot piece broke off, that was a fun fix, luckily I had a couple 4" ferncoes and some schedule 40.
      Today I did get the conduit all the way to the filter pit (no wire in it yet) and started the ditch from there for all water pipes/electric to upper pond area. Dang pile of rocks is in my way again
      You will also see a trampoline that was tired of being jumped on I guess and tried to fly away, and some lilies that have been blooming doubles/triples daily for about a month. Last just for Stephen some garden/tomato shots (hey buddy was on my knees 3 hours today pulling weeds for the last shots,may have enough soon for ya)
      Attached Images Attached Images                                 
      My favorite Quotes:

sworley is offline Senior Member
      is Still loving my pond!

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Pretty lilies and great tomatoes! Nothing like home-grown!

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is also strong enough to take away everything you have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
      Maxine

the 2 week pond

Feeling:
      ----

I have not died and can not believe I have not shared what little I did do in 2013 , It was mostly getting the driveway concreted but I did manage to bury some plumbing to where I hoped for the upper waterwheel/filter shed, I said hoped because after what happened a few weeks ago I am so disgusted I am going to super simplify this project or if my bad luck continues it may all get filled in.
      I have not totally given up but am so close. I will post last years pipe and driveway stuff to this post then make another showing/explaining what is going on right now. Pictures re organized themselves so not in any order
      My favorite Quotes:

the 2 week pond

Feeling:
      ----

This winter was the worst in a long time, a few months ago the ice had formed a protein skimmer first pic/video. A few weeks ago on a Friday I ran out of gas 1 mile from home and walked, turning into my yard I glance toward the pond and see black rubber, oh great I was expecting another deer. There was no deer but only 2-3 ft. of water It was fine the week before but we had a warm spell then quick drop way below zero. I saw one dead fish and got it out that day and feared they all were gone, I treated and put in about 3000 gallons on the next day Saturday, it lost a 2-3 inches overnight and I saw no signs of water on the ground any where or in any pipes past the closed gate valves on the BD pipes. I thought maybe since the shed is not covered it froze at the gate valve and cracked somewhere but could see nothing.
      Last weekend on a warm day I got the 300 gallon rubber made running with air after fixing a busted pipe that drained it also. As I drained the pond I found and moved the fish there and to my surprise had 3 ugly grey carp colored fish about 12 inches that must have been from spawning. I searched the liner and all folds well and see nothing that may leak, I am confused the only thing I can think of is ice forming near the gate valve down the pipe toward the bottom drain and it may have cracked and the water must be seeping through the ground out of sight. I will try and seal one drain at a time and re fill to check this, I hope it works if not I am clueless as to what to do next.
      A couple pictures and video's of my continued great luck NO Video's sorry seems they are too big, never used to have problems.
      You tube links to Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQVfKKw8UHM

http://youtu.be/oLKlAcy8Jj0
      Last edited by Leekinneykoi; 03-18-2014 at 09:20 PM.
      My favorite Quotes:

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Lee the driveway looks super. The pond only needs 2 more weeks to be done.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Driveway looks terrific Lee!

I think youtube hates you...

--Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

birdman is offline DIY Savant
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Good to hear your back at it Lee.

stephen is offline Koiphen Member
      WWKC Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #2
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Leekinneykoi View Post
      Well this will be my official pond Construction thread.
      The 2 weeks from the movie The Money Pit is a classic and when I decided to make my pond deeper and bigger, because a Heron cleaned me out:mad: , I actually did not think it would take more than a few months.
      Well the old liner in a hole and in pond pump for 12 years was not the best, so I used the internet to see what was new in ponding.
      This was a big mistake since I found all you CRAZY people and Koiphen.
      It is now 9 MONTHS later and I am still digging and changing my plans. So please bear with me, I did not have pictures from the start but did get a camera and start trying to keep track of some stuff to share with you all.
      I have tried to organize the pictures by date as best I could, but some I re-sized had modified dates and it was so long ago I am not sure what I did when.
      I am not going to get fancy with plans, since they keep changing all the time, but if I can slowly post the old pictures and a few details to get caught up to date, then it will be easier to post stuff as I am working on it or need your suggestions.

In Case You Missed these and are Interested.

First here are some links to threads where I was seeking ideas on filtration plans ( TRY 1); https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33778
      (Final plan, yea right ); https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34568

Links to some of my half built DIY filter ideas:

(Savio Skimmer); https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27740

( DIY Sediment Tank ); https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28757

( Micro Screen ??); https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34302

( Square Poly Tanks will be filters) https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34920

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37228

(The Old/ Original WaterGarden, before I decided to make it bigger and better.) https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27764

This is all for now, I will start the pictures tomorrow.

Ok OK here is one of the old pond and the very first picture I took of the new dig back in August 2005.

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

Has it been two weeks already???????????????????????????????
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

stephen is offline Koiphen Member
      WWKC Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #2
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by gray cat View Post
      Hi Nancy. I really do not know or remember anymore I will ask Mary to read the thread then she can tell me how to post and answer how long it has been.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by gray cat View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
      Hi Nancy. I really do not know or remember anymore I will ask Mary to read the thread then she can tell me how to post and answer how long it has been.

That's ok. Actually that is a question that I have asked Lee throughout this thread since 05-22-2006.......lol
      Nancy

the 2 week pond

Feeling:
      ----

All I know this leak is @#$%*(&&^^$%$ me off, plugged one drain loosing 2" every 24 hrs. Has stopped again at 2-3 ft level, I tried some heavy cream it just made a cool mushroom cloud then spread out all over making it hard to see. I need some dye and get in there add some water just above where it stopped, check with dye by both drains if nothing, then all around the water line for a small hole/tear. If both drain pipes are cracked, that is it, I will plug them and go back to a sump pump and make this thing an aquaponics pond and add a green house for tomatoes year round.
      My favorite Quotes:

the 2 week pond

Feeling:
      ----

Hi all, for those that still remember or even care about this mess of a project , I did finally find the leak and purchased something pretty cheap that may help someone with pipe problems, the one thing I thought of after using this would have made it easier, build something that would roll (with wheels) inside the pipe to mount the camera to stay upright, the twisting and turning of the cable alone makes it hard to see. I used a wire pulling snake to attach it to, sadly the file is huge and some odd format or I would upload the video. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      The non-aerated bottom drain pipe froze from the unfinished building down below ground a couple feet and cracked, since the two 4" bottom drains was overkill for such a small area I decided to just plug that one off and put a liner patch on both sides of the opening, pictures below. I also filled in the upper pond hole it was too rocky and buried the one winter return I had planned, pictured below.
      I have been working to get that building done ever since. I was shocked at the rise in price of the surface bonding cement in the short week (3-5 years) it went from $11.00 a bag to $21.00 and since I never finished both sides most of it cracked and had to be re coated anyways. I purchased one of those Mortar Sprayers for $245.00 in hopes t make it simple, I believe Kwickkut used one in his build. I was not impressed it to me was putting on 3 thick blobs with bare spots between and had to be troweled and was wasting much material, after a whole bag of different consistencies and air pressures I went back to a metal concrete float and did it all by hand.
      Then I started on framing the roof, you don't want to know but I did it over (all trusses/frame) 3 times to get it correct, The block actually sloped the opposite way I tried to slope the roof for run off, it was hard to see until completed, I also got the electric in there, just need a door before this winter in case we have another bad one and I can heat tape the one remaining BD. Hopefully next season I will get the other filters (in a purchased shed or buried in a constructed dirt mound, not sure yet) so I can get the water circulating finally, building pictures below also.
      My favorite Quotes:

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Did I see water? And progress? What has the earth started to move again, moving toward the completion of the two weeks? Looking good Lee. Keep at it.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

Feeling:
      Happy

Glad to see you working on your pond again.
      Nancy

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I think the building looks great! I hope the BD repair holds...

You were the one to get me to try the SBC and my pit has stayed rock solid for several years
      now, so thank you for encouraging me to try it!
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 92 of 93 FirstFirst ... 828990919293 LastLast