• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Cheep mudpond?

Brian Drake is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Cheep mudpond?

Over the years we have visited many koi businesses and koi farms around the USA and in Japan....one thing I noticed a few years ago when we were at Momotaro in Japan...that he was using liner for some of his huge mudponds....I had until that time never seen liner mudponds in Japan....interesting talking with Mr. Maeda at his noodle restaurant about liners...and why...he mentioned "experiment"....sounds now like a very good experiment!!!

Out here I have seen an alternative to spending lets say $1500 for a liner of 30 x 100 ft....there are folks out hre that are having success at using Visqueen...cheap plastic to hold water in a pond...something to consider if you don't have good clay or you are on a tight budget. You will with a bit of luck get a few years or more out of this inexpensive liner...just an inexpensive way to add more water to grow koi and get rid of that pain in the grass...grass...

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Ryan S. is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would think clay is cheaper, at least if your in an area with clay. I was quoted $4000 for digging a half acre pond and regrading 1 acre with the escavated soil. Does that sound reasonable? I was thinking high but they have to deal with tree roots, the tree removal was $6000 per acre. The catfish farms here I've seen quoted for $1500 per acre for mud ponds and roads.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ryan: You should be able to beat that...that's alot of dinero.
      Clay as you know is best...but a lot of properties don't have clay...but wish to add water and koi in a large growing pond.
      Here's a question for you?
      Bulldozer at $400 a day...how much can dig in one day? How deep are you going? Small koi?
      Big koi?
      What's the goal of this pond?
      Just some questions...

Darrel is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Chagoi...Remember ima pond noob hehe
      Just wondering and hating grass would some one be smart to build one of these "cheep mud ponds" if they have the room. And with all the khv worries find A local koi guy like you for me and buy 20-30 little guys throw them in there for a year or so then pick out the ones you really like and input them into your main pond...Just a question It would be like growing your own koi and not wiring about where you get your koi?

savannahrobinson is offline Master Photographer of Glare and Bubbles
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I don't know about you, but my ponds get traffic from dogs, cats (tossed by Roark), birds, cattle and horses, not to mention small children.

I would think a think liner would be pierced by the traffic.
      "To bosom friend, to gracious host
      To those who fall, and those who lift
      To those who give, yet mark not gift
      To healing, hope, and circumstance
      To faith, to fate, to meetings chance"
      -Bob Kublin (who I have not met)

Ryan S. is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Chagoi
      Ryan: You should be able to beat that...that's alot of dinero.
      Clay as you know is best...but a lot of properties don't have clay...but wish to add water and koi in a large growing pond.
      Here's a question for you?
      Bulldozer at $400 a day...how much can dig in one day? How deep are you going? Small koi?
      Big koi?
      What's the goal of this pond?
      Just some questions...
      Maybe that included hauling clay in. I need soil to fix elevation issues, so pond is for koi, looks, and not to have to haul dirt in. I had just asked someone the question and told them a little about the place, I have not tried competitive quotes yet. They own all equipment needed. I don't remeber if depth was discussed but I'm thinking ~8ft?. Not sure on purpose yet. Maybe to raise fish up to size until they can be sexed to into male or female pond. Or maybe just untill I think they are ready. Or maybe for additional fish.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Different strokes for different folks....works for some and others it doesn't work. There are folks out there in OK that are putting ponds as fast as I can type...not costing them a penny...tradeouts work....the almighty dollar works,
      looks are one thing, traffic concerns are important concerns...you have to do what is right for you and hopefully with good guidance from people on this board we will save you some $$$ and more importantly we all learn from everyone's experience here...no matter who you are...

If you ever work out a deal with someone to put koi in their pond, etc....get it in writing...I remember a story on another board last year I think...landowner decided to keep everything, change the locks...seen it done way too many times...good ole boys are good ole boys and God love them all but this day in age a smart good ole boy got have a great lawyer.
      Experience is the great teacher...IMHO.

pskorf is offline Former Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

when putting in a liner mud pond are people putting some clay on the bottom or anything else.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Paul: we have done it both ways and have had good results either way. My belief is mud is hard to beat!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have had thoughts on doing something like this because of water concerns for me.i can get a soil test done but what kind of results should i be looking for to tell me what mound of dirt i should throw in.You read how in japan that certain breeders raise good.... but can not raise...... because of the quality/kind of the mud

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Paul: Get a sample and send it to a local lab and see what % of clay you have in the soil or just dig a test pond and see if it holds water. Concerns also would be how much sandy soil you have and how the berms would hold up or crumble. Also, how high is your water table?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i am sure water table should be high with my well only 40 ft. deep but that also scaries me thinking will i have water for the house.with a old building foundation is where i might drop a liner in and put some clay in there.surronded my gravel pits so have access to a lot of clay but wondering how red/orange should it be for good clay.
      also have my outdoor pond that i could add some clay to for a couple but will be kicked out of house for sure.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Have a "well" person come on out and seek out his opinion.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007