• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: How much $$ is a 20" koi worth

Ethan25 is offline pm'str
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How much $$ is a 20" koi worth

It is interesting to me to find people come on here and ask "how much are my koi worth?". It would seem to me that if a koi was "worth" a significant amount of money, then the owner would know it, becuase they paid for it. However, I may be wrong.

In general, for local pond keeping, etc...if one is culling,

how much would one Reasonably sell a nice pondgrade 24" fish for?

Or a 20"
      Or a 16"
      Or a 12"?

For instance, I live in a town where there is no koi shop for 2 hours either way. If I have a couple of larger 15-20" koi that I'd like to advertise for sale, how much would I charge? What is a fair price?

I have considered just raising some pondgrade koi in our pond to a decent size, and try selling here in town. Does that work?
      Last edited by Ethan25; 08-26-2009 at 11:34 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Limpet is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Boy Ethan, that is a touchy one. Some many variables there. Advertise and see if there are people in your area that are interested if pond fish. Pond "grade" fish, most pet stores have them year round. 20 inches, most people just starting out have no idea what to do with a fish that size. And if they do they are more than likely beond wanting pond "grade" fish. Price, I think you will be lucky to sell any for more than $25 ea. (just my opinion)

Rick

Headache is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Go out and shop for Diamonds , the larger ones are not always the expensive ones . You can spend $1000 or $100,000 on a one karat diamond , it's the same with koi !

Simi Koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

it will depend on the fish. There are different degrees of "pond grade". there are low quality "pond fish" that you get for $5 at walmart...these will never be worth anything. With these types of fish, odds are they have lost their beauty as an adult. So they may be big, but they past their prime years ago. But then there are koi that while they may not be show quality, are still very nice looking fish. Koi that still have their color in a recognizable and pleasing pattern and haven't developed a bunch of freckles or spots and they have developed a decent body shape, (no pinched heads or pot bellies) then its possible these pond grade fish will be worth around $100, maybe even $200.

Cyberous is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Have you checked www.craigslist.org for your area or next closest area,.. I see people selling koi all the time for different reasons, moving, too big for pond,.. oh and my favorite " I'm selling some koi for a friend of mine, please give me a call and I will give you the directions to the house and when you can come over, we will need to go at night and be very quiet, bring a net" sounds a bit "fishy"??? :D

Good luck!

Don

moikoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Headache
      Go out and shop for Diamonds , the larger ones are not always the expensive ones . You can spend $1000 or $100,000 on a one karat diamond , it's the same with koi !
      you are looking at $20k for a top cut D IF 1 carat round diamond.

TerryT is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Kinda like asking "how much is a car worth".
      Terry

Eluned is offline KHA
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Beginners often believe that koi gain value as they get larger, since large koi cost more at the shop. The truth is most are worth less than the purchase price after several years. Even starting with youngsters from a good bloodline, in order to get one nice kohaku at 18", you would need to purchase about 20 candidates at 6" (and have a pretty good eye). There isn't much profit once you factor in the cost of food, water and electricity. (Meds will drive the balance sheet into the red.)

My opinion is that there are far too many crapagoi for sale already. The hobby does not need anymore backyard breeders. Folks who keep koi and purchase good quality koi usually find themselves thinning their collection. I am fussy when it comes to finding new homes for my culls - and have never sold any of my rejects or even the offspring of my pond spawns. Most ponds in my area are already well stocked or overstocked. Sure people may want more/bigger fish, but they frequently can't handle them.

The last time our club had a fish auction the large pond-grade koi similar to those in your photo (20+ inches) were going for under $50, and some had no bids. When a large koi is past its prime, there is no more mystery or hope. Smaller koi were going for higher prices.
      Lynne in St. Louis

pennypicher is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow I thought they would be worth more. I paid $50 for a 4" fish many years ago. It has grown to over a foot now. Although I would never sell them I just thought they would be worth more. I suppose it's like kids ya can never put a price on them!!!

Dennis

vrap393 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Put them on E-bay, someone will give you a good amount regardless of what they look like.
      The more you think know, the less you learn.

MIKE S.
      DISCLOSE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Rudy is offline WWKC Lifetime Diamond Member #1
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by pennypicher
      I suppose it's like kids ya can never put a price on them!!!

Dennis
      Wanna bet?

Rudy

db reddragonfly is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have know ponders new to the hobbie to be very happy buying larger pond quaility for $35-$20 or less. A friend of mine just sold 8 22-24 inch koi for 100.00. Ponders sell them around here often,and like a used car,people will pay what they feel the fish is worth. Sorry I dont think home grown pond quality are worth too much. Fish farms and quality sellers are about an hour to two hours from where I live,so at this point in the hobby Ill take the drive. In your area if it is product VS product in demand you may not make alot of money ,but will meet new ponders and make new freinds.That adds to the value.

MCA is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

does the hobby really need more sources of koi?
      MCA
      Too much sanity may be madness and maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be.

hacnp is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

We will not be undersold!

Because when we need room for fresh blood in the pond our pond grade fish between 16 and 22 inches will go to a nice spring fed retirement pond next county over. We get new small exciting fish to grow out and the retirees get a 1/2 acre 20 ft. deep home that is strickly no fishing.

What I wonder is who is getting the better deal, Rose and I or the retirees?
      Regards, Ken

The most powerful point of suction in the pond occurs at our checking account. It's all Marges fault!

lilhelper is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You really cant put a price on them, so let the buyer do it. but make a rough price really.

jjspond is offline Senior Member
      is Retired

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by lilhelper
      You really cant put a price on them, so let the buyer do it. but make a rough price really.
      I agree with this one.

I don't agree with backyard breeding on purpose either, but when one does have a spawn, one can sell what you grow out.

In my case I've got butterfly, something people want, but mostly they're all a tad worried about viruses and they know I've quarantine anything new for a long time and the ones I'm selling (cheap because I want them gone) are virus free having grown up in my pond. Course I tell them they should still quarantine, let the new fish get use to their water and all the other variables... but I bet most just take them home and plunk them in the pond.

The older koi I've sold I've named a fair price and am open to dickering, but so far I guess my price has been fair since no one has talked me down. 24" BF white (not platinum) female $50. Babies, various colors 4" $5, & 6-8" $10 was my pricing. All sold within minutes of putting them out on the local e-mail list.
      ~ jj
      -----------------------------
      See jj's puddles www.jjspond.us

K.O.I.

Fishbreeder is offline Resident fisheries biologist
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

20" to 26" "pond koi" sell for about $10 at my farm.

Most end up "steamed with ginger" as it seems this price is a bit less than at the grocery store.

In some places where folks do not know what a koi is, you can get several hundred bucks for anything 20" long resembling a koi.

In places where folks have been educated about koi, there is no demand for such fish. As such, they do not commnd much of a price.

I've found the best market for such fish is farm ponds in need of vegetation control. Then you can be competitive with the prices folks are paying for grass carp. Koi seem to do as good or better than grass carp on the same types of aquatic weeds.

Brett

jjspond is offline Senior Member
      is Retired

Feeling:
      Happy

Our local irrigation district tried grass carp in the canals, they even went to the trouble of blocking them into areas when they needed to dose the canal with chemicals... so it sounded like they had done some homework. Unfortunately we have a steady supply of migrant workers who fished them out and ate them, so I don't think they continued with the plan.

Brett, I know in many countries carp is as common on the table as hamburger is here. How do they fix it? My understanding is, it is a very boney fish. I assume you've tried it, what would you compare it to? Does the water quality make a difference in taste? Muddy warm water, versus other?

I grew up by a lake with serious water quality issues, just thick with carp, but I don't think anyone ate them. Bow competitions were the normal use.... but I don't think they were taken home to be eaten, more likely to feed the roses.
      ~ jj
      -----------------------------
      See jj's puddles www.jjspond.us

K.O.I.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007