• Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sudden Koi deaths after rain & thunderstorms

Henning is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Blatt
      Assuming since you mentioned pond at about 100 gallons...down from 130 due to evaporation, that it was warm out temperature wise prior to and during the thunderstorm and rain periods.
      Wierd things can happen to your oxygen levels when this happens. I know as I witnessed gasping behavior one year in my smaller pond just prior to a summer storm. Fortunately I was out back and saw it....immediately cranked on the waterfall which was off. Within 15 minutes all was normal. If I had not seen them gasping and had stayed in during the storm, they would have expired. It appears your oxygen levels (5-8ppm) were on the low side anyway. In my opinion....lack of oxygen due to barometric pressure or whatever resulting in fish die off.
      Sorry for your loss.
      Dan, as you say….if a low oxygen level could normalize 15 or 30 min later, I think this could have been the reason. Its very convincing summing up with the other opinions.
      Thanks

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Aqua_ is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

In such a small pond, the O2 levels could indeed return to that level fairly quickly. Especially if the pump was running to get the O2 back, even if it was off for a while. You also don't mention numbers (that I saw at least,sorry if you did) for pH. If it was quite low before, which I may suspect, then you received a large amount of rain, the shift could bother them though you would end up with normal looking numbers. I doubt that was it because the little fish was fine, but it could happen. 130g just isn't a terribly stable environment for outside.

Mr Pete is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Henning, I didn't notice that you were not located in the States when I replied. I don't know what type of electrical power you are dealing with. It could be AC or DC, 120 volts or 240 volts.

Most of us have 120 volt alternating current. We use "ground fault breakers' or 'ground fault receptacles' (wall plugs) near our ponds. They detect the slightest current leak to ground and turn off the circuit.

A ground connection (3rd wire) to a load (pump, UV etc.) will not do it until there is a significant current flow (short circuit) and then the standard circuit breaker or fuse will trip. That amount of flow will definitely kill fish and probably you too.

Check with your electrician to see if you have any "ground fault" protection devices in your country.

Marjorie is offline KARP GSD Rescue Angel
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Henning,

I am so sorry for the loss of your fish. Its awful when you cant figure out what killed them I came to this forum under similiar circumstances, and the good people here were so helpful! I also had a small pond, about your size, with too many fish for the pond, which I didnt know. I met some really nice people here who lived close to me- they came over and dug out my old pond and installed a 350 gallon pond for me with a real waterfall. My fish are such happy campers, now... I learned about the importance of good filtration, and I hope never to have a big die-off, ever again. Now I only have 3 fish- one koi and 2 shebunken. They dont seem to know they are different types of fish- they school and do everything together. I joke that they are co-joined triplets.

The education you will receive here is just amazing, if you make the effort to learn!

Lee B is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Henning, koi - given optimum conditions - can grow quite rapidly. Adult females can become 34-36" or more, and 30# or so over 4 or 5 years. They are IMPRESSIVE fish. Genetics play a lot in growth parameters, but koi are by nature large fish. If they are less, then they are stunted. That's why I suggested goldfish. Goldfish raised in ponds can still be 12" or so, but it's not so bad for them to be in smaller water, as it is for koi.

Most people don't have super large ponds; they're hard to keep. A pond of 2500-3500 gallons will allow you to provide a fine home for your fish. If you can build a good filtration system, you can still have quite a few fish and keep them healthy. If you dig it deep (4' or more), then the space required for the pond itself is not so much.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Anonymous

Proud Member Of The WWKC

boggen is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

sorry to hear about your fish, i can say been there done that. and many others here as well. it seems your answer and questions have already been answered to your oringal posting, and thought i add. stick it out, ask more questions, and give your thoughts. and perhaps you might learn a couple things extra or do a couple other things differently, that might save you from headaches down the road.
      Pond and Construction Forum 101 good place for any first timers to the forum. for finding resources and general info.

Ryan

vrap393 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just to back what has already been pointed out, a single Koi has no place in a 100 gal. pond, let alone 7 of them.

Larger systems are more stable and forgiving than smaller ones, a previous poster mantioned that PH crash would take a few days to kill your Koi, this is not true, A PH event can do them in within hours, even less in such a small amount of water.

02 suffucation sounds like the culprit in this case from what I've read, especially if you don't have an airstone as a backup oxygen source.

Stick with goldfish in that volume, or be prepared to build a 2000-3000 gal. pond to house seven Koi safetly.
      The more you think know, the less you learn.

MIKE S.
      DISCLOSE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Henning is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Smile

Indeed I will take into consideration the suggestions you all posted in this thread. I want to thank you all. I think I have learned more in this forum (in which I’m new ) than my 2 years experience with the Kois.

Thanks again….

Henning

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12