• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Looking for options

MrHusband is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Looking for options

I have two pond sieves, two Aquadynes, and two WLim VMS's on my koi pond. Drainage for everything empties to a sump within my fitler pit. The sump discharges through a 2 inch pipe to my side street.

I live on a corner porperty with a street sewer drain on the side street. The discharge pump penetrates the curb, dumping everything about 50 feet from the sewer drain.

The Township has ordered the discharge pipe removed and the curb repaired. No problem, I unplugged the sump pump and will remove the pipe over the weekend. The Highway department will take care of the curb.

The Township states the street sewer is for rain runoff only and that pool owners are not allowed to drain to the street. (I don't need to point out that the 6 swimming pools around me are all drained via hose to the street, right?) The Township claims chemicals in pool water are not meant to enter the street sewer.

I still have to service my filters and be able to perform water changes.

Can anyone offer suggestions?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Clay is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

One, your pond water is NOT chemically treated as a pool is. It is for fish and they need healthy water - that is all the city needs to know.

Second, most of us use that water for the lawn and plant beds. The plants that are outside of the pond (no plants in my pond) love the nuitriant rich water. If you are dumping a 1000 gallons at a time that might cause a problem but for backflushing your two beads you should be fine utilizing the water.

A little off subject but can you give me your feedback on the pond sieve that you are using? Are you using the EA unit or another system? How does it handle fluctuation in water height or pond depth? Thanks

Mr.Bill is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sounds like the township simply did not like the permanent pipe and the curb messed with.
      Perhaps a chat with them letting them know it is pond water, free of chemicals, Actually will be a benefti to the sewer lines keeping them flushed with clean water and natural organic waste NOT chlorinated pool water.

Or do like the pool owners are doing, change over to one of those roll up 2" hoses used to backflush their sand filters and run it out on a temporary basis.

Or like mentioned above water your lawn and/or plants and stuff, that is what i will be doing when I get mine going.

Leekinneykoi is offline Supporting Member
      is 17 years and still working on
      the 2 week pond

Feeling:
      ----

Re-routing your sump drain to a vegtable or flower garden is what I am planing also, or using a submersable pump to spray your beds and lawn is also a good idea. A friend of mine made a shallow bog for Lotus and marginal plants, in his yard at a lower elevation than his sump and he just flushes the water to it every so often and just lets the overflow run into the surrounding ground.
      My favorite Quotes:

The person who makes no mistakes usually does not make anything.
      Everything starts as somebody's daydream
      Experience is a dear teacher, but fools will learn from no other

Proud Annual Charter Member # 3

Harveythekoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Who turned you in?

I know when I first dump my stuff the odor is quite strong, it dissipates quickly but maybe this offended someone and they called the city.

I ran out of a sump pit to the trees and bushes in my yard. I used a sewage pump capable of handling 2" solids fed to a leaf basket on the discharge side to catch any larger stuff and then ran ½" risers out of a 2" pipe. I wish there was an easy way to irrigate the lawn but it would need a high pressure pump to run the sprinklers, plus I don't think the water would be clean enough for that even with the leaf basket.

The other down fall is my yard is two levels so I would need a second pump to use it on the front also.

Garrett
      Last edited by Harveythekoi; 04-14-2006 at 08:32 AM.

Rudy is offline WWKC Lifetime Diamond Member #1
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Can you dig yourself a french drain in the upper level maybe?

Rudy

boggen is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

scince you are already using a trash pump. for the sump pit. how about hooking the line into your main house sewer line? ya just gotta make sure ya don't put to much pressure / water in that house sewer line. to not cause your tolets to backflow "sniffs"

tear up your yard and put in pipes to water your yard and trees and other plants and shrubs. making sure that you can clean the pipes if need be. due to possible debree clogging the pipe work.
      Pond and Construction Forum 101 good place for any first timers to the forum. for finding resources and general info.

Ryan

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Your right!

Quote Originally Posted by Clay
      One, your pond water is NOT chemically treated as a pool is. It is for fish and they need healthy water - that is all the city needs to know.
      You got that right - for starters, my municipal water feed passes through a five micron paper filter then a five micron carbon filter then to the rest of the house. Without the whole house filters, the water smells like chlorine and something else and has a brown color. What comes out of my tap is cleaner than what comes into my house. Then I filter the water ad nauseum in my own little sewerage treatment plant (AKA Koi Pond!). Unlike municipal sewerage treatment plants, I constantly recylcle my water though my system every 45 minutes! Things might change this summer, but my alkalinity has pinged at 120ppm since October. I haven't added baking soda since then. If only one bueracrat would listen. Whenever I mention I don't use any chemicals for the sake of the fish, I get a huff. As if to say, "Tell me another one" or "They all say that"

Second, most of us use that water for the lawn and plant beds. The plants that are outside of the pond (no plants in my pond) love the nuitriant rich water. If you are dumping a 1000 gallons at a time that might cause a problem but for backflushing your two beads you should be fine utilizing the water.
      Without a flower bed and no lawn in the "No Man's Land" that is my back yard, I need to take the water somewhere else. Backflushing the beads could water the front lawn of back lawn (when there is a back lawn). Unfortunately, the VMS and Sieves collect mad algae. Whatever I do has to account for the algae. I like to rinse the sieves once a day and had fantasies of flushing one VMS every day over the summer (not necessarily a flow through system, but changing 400 gallons a day out of 15,000 is not too shabby!)

A little off subject but can you give me your feedback on the pond sieve that you are using? Are you using the EA unit or another system? How does it handle fluctuation in water height or pond depth? Thanks
      I use the EA Pond Sieve. The weir moves effortlessly to match flow rate, even as the beads get clogged. One Sieve had problems for a few weeks. Intermittently, my pumps would cavitate every ten minutes or so. I first suspected my pump or bead filter. Then I noticed the weir was jerking up and down. I lifted the wedge screen and discovered the foam block and lift bars had separated from the weir and were jamming against the guides. The fix was difficult to reach but easy to actuate. No problems since! I do suggest plumbing a bypass to the pump for direct draw during back wash and on the chance your water level is very low. Check out my posts from December:
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...281#post539281
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...805#post539805

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by boggen
      scince you are already using a trash pump. for the sump pit. how about hooking the line into your main house sewer line? ya just gotta make sure ya don't put to much pressure / water in that house sewer line. to not cause your tolets to backflow "sniffs"
      Great idea! My sewer line in the basement is 4" cast iron pipe. In '03 I drilled a hole in the pipe to add a box sump for a utility sink. For a quick fix, I can excavate the discharge pipe, plumb to the house, enter through a window and marry up to the box sump discharge. My toilets are on the first and 2nd floor. Backflow shouldn't be much of a problem, correct?

My only concern is the amount of algae.

Can I get some input for the following scenario?

I will eventually penetrate my foundation to get my window back. As well, I want to discharge the pond sump pump above an open air settling chamber containing gravel or pool filter sand. The settling chamber will gravity drain to my house sewer line. I'm thinking the aggregate in the SC will filter the algae and fish feces. I can then scrape away the top of the aggregate as needed, bag it and place on the curb for pickup.

What does everyone think?

BTW, I want to thank everyone who responded. It's great to have so many brain cells contributing!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I don't really care

Harvey, I learned today the inspector works in code compliance. I was definitely reported by someone. I have had building inspectors at the home during the pond construction and have two more things to do before I get my CO. The building inspectors never mentioned the drain, the electricity in my front yard water garden or my 6 foot fence. This guy has a hard on about all these things. The Mrs and I just want to keep our Koi. The Mrs wants the water garden.

We will comply, resisitance is futile.

Lee, Long Island & the NY metro area had a problem with West Nile virus a few years back. Standing water is big NO, NO. Bogs not allowed.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

boggen is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i only stated main sewer line for house. because i remeber watching " dirty jobs" tv show a few months back. when the guy had to go clean out someones basement. were all the sewer for the block ended up back flowing back into this ladies basement

with that. asking wrong person if it would work. you would think it be alright. with check valuves and a P trap but honstely don't know. not a plumber.

------

be abit of a pain for the scenerio gaven. and i could almost seeing the garbag company or city inspector given ya a good scream down the road. and possible state bio waste. or something. with them thinking the crud might be human poo.
      ok abit overboard. but lol. ughs. gotta love them folks in goverment.

------

if the city is going to deal with the curb. why not just see if they will put a sewage connection right there below the curb drain. for you to hook into. and do what ya have to do. to get them to allow the drainage into the sewer. by the time ya mess around with the house sewer line. it might be easier to just have another one dug in and installed.

so you do not have to chance of toliets backing up. or house sewer lines getting clogged up.
      Pond and Construction Forum 101 good place for any first timers to the forum. for finding resources and general info.

Ryan

MCA is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

back in TX when we had a bead filter, I backwashed into the sewer line...after all I paid sewer charges on that water to begin with!!! Many folks can tap into the sewer line near the cleanout port between the house and the street.
      MCA
      Too much sanity may be madness and maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by MCA
      back in TX when we had a bead filter, I backwashed into the sewer line...after all I paid sewer charges on that water to begin with!!! Many folks can tap into the sewer line near the cleanout port between the house and the street.
      A local ponding buddy of mind suggested the same thing. I will look deeper into this. I haven't serviced my filters since Tuesday. I am plumbing my waste into my basement on Easter. With a little luck, all the filters will be serviced by dinner. Wish me luck.

vrap393 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Why not simply dig a trench in your yard heading away from the pond, fill it with crushed stone for drainage, and then just burry your pipe?

Water should seep into the ground, and any excess that runs off will go out to the street and appear as natural runoff.

Should also hide the mucky stink that PO'ED someone. Most likely the 80 yr. old widower living alone across the way from you, that hates pools and children.
      The more you think know, the less you learn.

MIKE S.
      DISCLOSE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007