• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [DIY] Combo TT/Shower and Aerated Moving Bed

Ryan S. is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

There is probably ~6000gph total. 5 cuft of K1 in moving bed, 5 cuft of Bio balls in Shower, ~3.5cuft of Lava rock in Shower should be able to handle a great load, aerated MB and Shower media is many times more effective than traditional submerged media filtration. This often makes this type of filter very cost effective, since you can have much less media for a given load.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

showa75 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

hardtop,

great setup, im looking to do something similar. how big is the pond you are using the system on? also, where did you buy your k1 media and bio balls? i was going to use a 150 gal. rubbermade tank for the moving bed chamber as well, is the 5 cubic feet the right amt to fill one up? thanks

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by showa75
      hardtop,

great setup, im looking to do something similar. how big is the pond you are using the system on? also, where did you buy your k1 media and bio balls? i was going to use a 150 gal. rubbermade tank for the moving bed chamber as well, is the 5 cubic feet the right amt to fill one up? thanks
      K1 I have on had is from AES, Bioballs are from Drs. Foster and Smith. Both were $29.95 per cuft at the time, although slightly higher now I think. The round container (55gal drum) or another vortex tank works good for aerated K1, rubbermaid container was chosen for its ablity to told the shower also. If I was going to do just a MB, I would use 55gal drums or vortex poly farm tanks. Pond is ~3200gal. I'm not sure on exact amount in here, I have 8cuft of K1 total, I think ~4.5-5 is in there now based on what I have left over.

KOI_IN_DA_Nile is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

c5Hardtop

I like the idea of TT and the moving bed.
      Would we be able to do this with the tanks we have: (2- 525 gallon tanks) .
      as your design DIY moving bed/biofilter coned bottom. combined with the TT on top ,or would that be too much going on in each tank? chambers are 6' high if i need to extend for TT,I will do that.
      any info Greatly Appreciated. Michael

mike is offline previously known as Aragorn..
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

somewhere out there, beneath the pale moonlight
      thanks c5.

im also very interested in your FF. please update if it starts churning out the bubbles already
      If you know how something 'works' ... you WILL know how to fix it.

Fast Eddie is offline Super Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

VERY

Can you let me know how the protein skimmer you made works out?

Harveythekoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

From experience,

The FF will need a lot of tweaking. There are many variables to get it working properly. But keep us posted on how it does.

With all this set up after a bead filter is there enough food to even feed that media? I would think by the time it got to the moving bed all's your doing is roiling the water. I suppose a percentage of food will always get past but oxygen saturation and off gassing should have already happened in the tower.

Garrett

JPR is offline Inactivated
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Garrett, you are right. I have built various towers such as this design in several reincarnations over 15 years now, and the efficient removal of effluent is always the bugaboo. Here's one I build in 1988 for a 600 gallon marine aquarium. A Pretty ugly monstrosity no doubt but as a bioreactor it worked very well. The trick here was to put a shallow rubbermaid into a larger one to allow water to degass then into the lower section for dynamic media to have a go at what did not gass off. This acted as a prototype for the next generation unit I built a year later. Finally MARK 3 was a combination of towers and dynamic media with FFs attached to each tower- separately however as I was never able to solve the removal mystery. Sorry, don't mean to highjack here- just add to the conversation. JR
      Attached Images Attached Images  

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the input

Foam Fractionator - I expect it to take some tuning to work out. In particular I may have to decrease flow through it. The reason it is here is that I use tiny bubbles (from silica diffusers) as my method of churning the media, and I get dirt/something (?) type of buildup around the inside edges of a Moving Bed by this method. So trying to remove this first is good practice (?).

Overkill - Probably, pond was ran last year, including ~ thousand babies (2-15"), on TTs of similar size and similar flow as current shower setup. The water from one pump enters at the MB area without passing through the bead or shower. Established Beads can be good biofilters, but in my head this is just for mechanical filtration and no bio benefit was taken into account here. (It should be another month or two before it becomes established anyways). Besides I had 8cuft of K1 laying around.

JR - Cool setup. The last thing I need is another hobby. This started as using a stock tank as a collector for the Shower, before I desided to move the MB filter here.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

lilhelper is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Doesnt that make the Biological bacteria so plentiful that it eliminates the need for a UV STERILIZER?

birdman is offline DIY Savant
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Now that winter is coming and I assume your pond is cooling down, with the cooler water are you still making as much foam?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I actually never cut on the FF part this year, my smaller sequence needs a seal and never go around to replacing. It would be cut off about now as leafs are falling a lot now and that is my skimmer line so I just remove with net this time of year, I still have the other line going, I will probably cut it off for the year in the next week or so.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12