• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aquarium, Filter, and Fish Recommendations?

Ronin-Koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Aquarium, Filter, and Fish Recommendations?

Since I was not able to get my pond completed prior to winter, I am considering starting an aquarium setup sometime soon. I'd like to get opinions on what I need to get, and the latest and greatest in aquarium filtration. Here are some of my current considerations. I'd welcome suggestions.

1. I am thinking about a glass tank in the 72-75 gallon size. The shop has a nice curved "bow" front glass tank with a matching curved stand that looks sharp. I like some of the acrylic options as well, but the pricing is higher.

2. In terms of filtration, low maintenance is important. Two different types look interesting:

Option I - Marineland Emperor Biowheel Powerfilter - Seems like an excellent choice to get the benefits of wet/dry filtration within a simple setup. The biowheel with constant rotation of the bio surface and the spray bar maximize exposure to air and water seems like a good solution to bio filtration. Also, the aeration of the water should be enhanced with these. Does it work well? Is it noisy and annoying? Any experience with these? I am considering the 400 dual wheel large size, or two of the smaller units so I can put one on each end of the tank. Disadvantage: It hangs on the tank and is visible, taking up space behind the tank, and is noisier.
      http://www.cloudytanks.com/reviews/filters/emp.htm

Option II - Some type of Canister Filter - I think it would be nice to hide the filter underneath the tank inside the stand. It would not be visible except for a few pipes. These units are more expensive. Lack of oxygen to the system seems to be a disadvantage. How affective are they? What type of canister filter would you recommend? I am considering the Fluval 404. I like that it has 4 "media" trays allowing flexibility in media choices. Any experience with these? Do they leak? Are they reliable?
      http://www.aquatichouse.com/Filtrati...les/Fluval.asp

3. Finally, I am undecided on what kind of fish I want. Definitely not saltwater. I am leaning towards either fancy goldfish (mostly oranda and ryukins) or oscars (probably red tiger). How many could be kept of each type in a ~75 gallon system? I have read that you shouldn't have fewer than 6 oscars in the same tank, and 75 gallons would not support that many.

- Wayne, starting from scratch on aquariums.
      Wayne - Ohio, USA - Koiphen MVP.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

boggen is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

there some nice diy plans out there for bottom and 3 sides made out of plywood with a glass front. made myself a 150ish??? (to long ago) all glass fairly cheap

the over side tank bio wheels work good

was skiddish for drilling my glass and had the glass company that i bought it from put a couple hoes in the glass for me. there are some glass bits out there that you can buy if willing to try.

you can plumb in a bottom drain, or overflow box, or use a power head unit with a spong on intake side of powerhead to get water out of tank and into a filter system below the tank.

overflow pipe/ box are nice if you don't want to use pressurized filters and just put a smaller cheaper aquiram or plastic tub below to use as filter box.

cannister filters pressurize or non pressureize most just have lids that are air tight to keep water from leaking out onto the ground and work well. ((4" pipe, some reducers, some female and male adaptors, some type of grate to place between male and female adaptors to hold media and you have some canister filters. ))

down to the griddy aquiram filters are just like pond filters. aquiram filters are small enough an in-expensive enough to mass produce to make them cost effective vs flow blown units that would mimic a pond filter system.

timiny is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have a Fluval 304 on my aquarium and love it. I believe Art (Koidoc) uses Fluval as well. No leaks so far. You can disconnect the canister for cleaning without leaking as well.

Acrylic tanks are cool looking but easy to scratch or mar the acrylic.
      Last edited by timiny; 12-22-2005 at 12:12 PM.
      Carolyn
      Esteemed Charter Member of the Koiphen Fan Club

Cowiche Ponder is offline Living my life's dream
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've been looking for a tank for goldies as well in the 55-125 range..yeah I know a big range lol.

I've found some used ones locally using www.craigslist.com. Well as local as 3 hours away. I just need to figure out where to put it in the house first..Maybe it will have to go out in the barn where the goldies are now lol.

Just bought a little 10 gallon tank and have tropicals. It's nice to have fish in the house again.

If I were to go anything other than goldies in the big tank I'd do discus. I think they are neat fish.

Leekinneykoi is offline Supporting Member
      is 17 years and still working on
      the 2 week pond

Feeling:
      ----

Wayne are you close to here? http://www.tricker.com/index.html I bet you would enjoy a visit.
      My favorite Quotes:

The person who makes no mistakes usually does not make anything.
      Everything starts as somebody's daydream
      Experience is a dear teacher, but fools will learn from no other

Proud Annual Charter Member # 3

kdmatrix is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I used to have Fluval 300 and 400 series.. loved it.. very quiet... prime the filter is a pain. My last Fluval 403 quit on me.. because the inlet pipe fell off. Someone recommended the Eheim Pro filter.. I gave it a try.. and bought from http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...pc=1&N=0&Nty=1... Love it.. easy to hookup. Easy to prime the filter...Quiet too... no leak so far ( about a year already ). Highly recommend from me...

When I ordered the Eheim filter.. they gave me this free http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...1&N=2004&Nty=1 ... both Set 1 and Set 2... much better than the one come with the filter.

I don't like the filter hook on the side of the tank...

Good Luck.
      Last edited by kdmatrix; 12-22-2005 at 03:06 PM.
      Kevin D.

OttawaPonder is offline Birds r smarter than I - at least they go South for the winter - I moved up NORTH
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Unless you have your heart set on having an Aquarium - Knowing you will soon, in 2006, have a pond set up - I would look into the following:

QT Tank set up. Would give you much more water volume and you be ahead of the game with your ponding as well.

1) Buy and set up a rubber mate stock tank of at least 100 gals with another tank - if you have the space - as a settling tank and extra volume.

2) Build your own DIY QT - larger in size to fit a given area.

Doing this over an Aquarium set up - would allow you a keep larger fish then just an Aquarium. you would already have a QT for your pond fish. Plus if you set up this winter - you should have something to help seed your filtration for your pond in 2006.

I have 3 100 gal rubber mate stock tanks all set up. One is a main tank. One is the settling tank. And one is a QT. I have the option of using one filter for all or shutting down one tank to use as a QT all by it self. that way if I have new fish in one 100 tank and I end up with a sick fish from my older stock - I can still use the same set up for them all.

If you stick with setting up an Aquarium or if you change your mind and do a DIY QT tank - I would reccomend a canister filter that has stackable filter areas. Much easier to clean - while saving the good bacteria. some of those other canister filters posted can be a real pain to remove each type of filtration material and then set it back up.
      Tony
      "We were given two eyes, two ears, but only one mouth; so look and listen twice as much as you speak. That way you are sure to learn more!"

koidoc is offline Here Comes The Judge!
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I am just the man to talk to.
      I think I know the exact tank and stand you are talking about. I have it.
      It is glass and about 75 gals. The front is an S-curve. Wider on the left and narrower on the right. Black trim. The bottom is an open design with a 12"x12" cabinet in the middle. Otherwise metal colums on the corners. I have seen the stands in all black or black with woodtone. I have the woodtone. I was just in Pet SMart today which carries this great unit. It was marked down to the New Everyday low price of I think $699 or at least in the 600's. The old price used to be in the 800's. Great tank and great look. Sometimes on the right angle the fish have a 3D like look. YES YES Get that one. Comes with Stand, glass top and two bulb light. Great light. Buy one high outout kelvin bulb and one actinic bulb. Gives great color.
      Now filter. On mine I use a Fluval 404. Wonderful 4 media trays. I use a ceramic media in them all ,then it has four sponges for mechanical filtration. It comes with some charcoal but I have found better to leave out. That way you can treat with any chemical without opening your filter to take out charcoal. Buy extra media and fill each tray to the top. To get even bacteria I rotate the media trays from top to bottom when I clean. Clean about every 3 weeks. Takes about 10 minutes to clean and easy. The tubes come from the tank to the filter. To clean you push up lever that closes hoses and then push up lever that disconnects from cannister. Take cannister to the sink. Rinse out. Take back to tank. Reconnect quick connect hose. When you open the valves the siphon automatically starts and when you hear it full you can plug in. Very easy and keeps very clean. Now the super part, if you have the stand I am talking about, is that the cannister fits in the 12"x12" cabinet in the middle so all you see is hose. On the return aim the hose up a little to disturb the service.
      Now fish. This is a perfect aquarium for Fancy Goldfish. Right now I have about 8 medium in the tank. If you go fancy goldfish I can hook you up with an importer in Columbus Ohio. Best healthiest fish. He will not even sell until 6 weeks treated and in quarantine. Great fish and super healthy. Also do not need heater with Goldfish. If oscars you will need to buy them feeder goldfish every once in awhile.
      Is this the tank. If not and you have a Pet Smart around consider it. Recommend highly, and goldfish.
      Attached Images Attached Images   

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wave and Bow Tanks

Hi Everyone, thanks for all the great input.

Lee, that link you provided did not work.

Karl, very impressive set ups you have there as always. Wet/Dry filters sound awesome, but I don't think I am quite ready for that yet.

As far as setups, QT, stocktanks, DIY wet/dry set ups, etc., they all sound great for an unfinished basement or garage and I might want to do that at some point in the future. But for now, I am looking for a nice display tank that I would put in the living area. So I want it to look nice and basically have minimal visible filtration. Due to carpeting, and the living space, maintenance needs to be tidy.

Kevin, the Eheim canister I looked at was awesome except that it was purely for bio-filtration only and had no means of doing good mechanical. Does yours have mechanical cartridges?

Quote Originally Posted by koidoc
      I think I know the exact tank and stand you are talking about. I have it. It is glass and about 75 gals. The front is an S-curve. Wider on the left and narrower on the right. Black trim. .... YES YES Get that one. ....
      Now filter. On mine I use a Fluval 404. Wonderful 4 media trays. ...
      Now fish. This is a perfect aquarium for Fancy Goldfish. Right now I have about 8 medium in the tank. If you go fancy goldfish I can hook you up with an importer in Columbus Ohio...
      Is this the tank. If not and you have a Pet Smart around consider it. Recommend highly, and goldfish.
      Art, as usual, thanks for all the great advice. Actually I am considering two different style tanks right now. The first is styled like yours with an "S" curve front - they call it a "Wave" tank. The one I saw is 95 gallons and is the same 48 inch long as 75 gallon tanks, but it is extra tall. It comes with a matching black curved stand, but is enclosed with doors, not like yours. It is 95 gallons, comes with stand, lid, lights and is currently at a huge discount and is around $650. I think the regular price was close to $1k. The other tank I am considering looks like the one below - it is symmetrical and is "bowed" in the middle outward. It looks very sharp as well, although not quite as dynamic or "cool" as the "S" style. This one is 72 gallons and with matching bowed stand, lid, and lights, it is on sale for less than $400.

Both seem very reasonably priced right now on sale. I am leaning more towards the 72 gallon "bowed" unit because with the symmetry, I think I can put it anywhere and it won't look odd. The "S" unit seems for my situation like the larger half ought to be in a corner so that you are usually looking towards the larger half and cannot be reversed. Having the extra 23 gallons in the "S" style would be nice though.

I had pretty much decided on the Emporer bio-wheel, but your glowing recommendation on the Fluval 404 has me re-thinking again. Hmm...

As far as fish, Art, I have been admiring your fancy goldfish and Darlene's fish as well, and have been wanting some. So that is probabaly what I will end up doing. Art, is the Fluval canister the only filter you have on your tank? Do you need to supplement aeration with an air pump and air stones? Is the surface movement sufficient for gas exchange and aeration?

Below is a 72 gallon curved front "Bow" tank that looks like the one I am considering. It is 12" at the sides, but the center of the tank is 18" at the bow.

Thanks,
      - Wayne, looking forward to setting up a tank.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by Ronin-Koi; 12-22-2005 at 11:09 PM.

the 2 week pond

Feeling:
      ----

Wayne I just tried the link and it worked, try again maybe a slow site.
      My favorite Quotes:

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

koidoc is offline Here Comes The Judge!
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Good looking tank and with the difference in pice go for it. On my 72 gal I use just Fluval404. Would probably be better with air but that is one more funny line. My 60 gal outside in pond room also has goldfish. It has Fluval 304 and airstone. Weekly 25% water changes are key.

stryker is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wayne,Your not missing much by that link not working .I would stay far away from trickers fish.I have been there a few times and I saw more fish upside down and dead than alive,they were nice enough to post signs "NOT FOR SALE"on some of the tanks.

John

the 2 week pond

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by stryker
      Wayne,Your not missing much by that link not working .I would stay far away from trickers fish.I have been there a few times and I saw more fish upside down and dead than alive,they were nice enough to post signs "NOT FOR SALE"on some of the tanks.

John
      John what about tanks Wayne needs one, I was just searching in his area for Aquarium sellers but figured this one being so old may be a good one.
      My favorite Quotes:

stryker is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I dont know where he is but the cheapest place for tanks is aquatic technologes in Columbia Station about 20 minutes from cleveland.This is a all saltwater store but the tanks,filter are the cheapest around.

John

PC62 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wayne,
      Get the canister and the hang on the back filter together you never can tell when these filter fail on you. if you have two, when one fail at least you have another one going until you can replace it. I have more than two filters on all of my tanks because I always over stocked.
      best regards.
      Paul.
      Jamaica.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin-Koi
      Kevin, the Eheim canister I looked at was awesome except that it was purely for bio-filtration only and had no means of doing good mechanical. Does yours have mechanical cartridges?
      Wayne - You are right.. it's purely for bio-filtration... it has a pad on top... it filters very good.. this Eheim filter is very work very much the same as the Fluval.

I have a regular rectangular 60 gallons tank... and the water always crystal clear. Oh... I have 2 powerheads.. one on the left... and one on the right to sucks the water from the under-filter (I think that what it call)...

EDIT: Wayne - I have this pad... I think it will do the mechanical filter... http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

My Eheim has the following:
      http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...pc=1&N=0&Nty=1
      http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=4334
      http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=4327
      Last edited by kdmatrix; 12-23-2005 at 12:37 AM.
      Kevin D.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks again everyone. I am probably going to get the 72 gallon curved "Bow" tank. Will probably get a canister filter and if I think I need more bio, I will get either a Penguin or an Emporer Bio-Wheel Hang-on-Back filter.

Related to the thread I started on "test-pilot" fish to start the pond cycle (my point was that I don't want to use low quality disease ridden sacrificial fish to start the cycling of my filters, thus introducting more problems), I will also need to cycle my aquarium. I don't want to start with sick fish, and starting with expensive fish would be risky. The advice from the other thread was to artificially kick things off by using grocery store ammonia.

How much ammonia should be added? How long before the tank is ready for fish afterwards if left to nature? And if I wanted to add "biobugs" to quicken the process, is this a good idea? Which brand of bacteria/enzme should be used? Or is this a bad idea and I should let nature take its course? I'm aiming at starting the tank, then hopefully be able to add fish within 3-5 days max. Possible?

- Wayne, needs to clear a corner in his house for a new tank!

rme1964 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Aquariums

I have had aquariums much longer than a pond. I have had an aquarium for over a decade. It was aquariums that got me 'hooked' into this hobby.

I currently have three aquariums. All of my aquariums are acrylic. I have a 450 gallon, 150 gallon and a 55 gallon hexagon.

In my experience for aquariums 75 gallons or less the HOB Marineland power filters with the bio wheels work great. The bio wheels (I was most skeptical) actually do a good job of aeration and bio on a moderately stocked tank. Ah the problem is who keeps a moderately stocked tank. Of course if you are like me that means you would buy two.

On tanks larger I like canister filters up to about a 150 gallon tank. On anything larger you are probably looking towards the wet/dry filters. On my 450 gallon I have a large wet/dry system with bio balls plus two via aqua filters.

I must admit I love the versatility of canister filters. I have used the Via Aqua, the Eheim 2028 and the Filstar XP3. The Eheim looks the beefiest but they all work great. For the price, in my opinion, the Filstar XP3 has best price/value ratio. I got my Filstar online at Big Als for around a $100.

I like room for error. On my 150 I have my Eheim and the Filstar XP3 and two non powered bio wheels. Keeps the water crystal clear. 55 Hexagon has a Marineland 330? HOB and it does a great job.

In regards to you question of fish. I have kept Oscars and they can get big. Yes it is better to keep at least six, more is even better. They will 'bicker' back and forth. If you have only a few, one of the Oscars for reasons unknown becomes a true bully and will make life misearble for the other Oscars. The more Oscars the aggression is more spread out. The down side Oscars get big and fairly quick and quite brawny. 75 gallons will be small in a few years for 6 Oscars and they eat like little hogs much like my beloved Koi. This really puts a huge bio load on your system. I like your idea of keeping a few Oranda's instead. They would do nicely in your set up. Even Orandas can get big though. You have a huge assortment of choices if tropical fish are your passion. I have Mbanu's in my 150 gallon tank. They are very colorful and people often confuse them with salt water fish. A 75 would be good for 12 to 15 Mbunas. These are very aggressive fish.

Good luck on your adventure!!!!

RME

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

RME - what's the URL for Big Al? I would like to check them out...

Thanks,
      Kevin D.

rme1964 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

www.bigalsonline.com

RME

Quote Originally Posted by kdmatrix
      RME - what's the URL for Big Al? I would like to check them out...

Thanks,

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast