• Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uniseal Installation in 55 Gallon Drum

kntry is offline 2017 KPOTY
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Uniseal Installation in 55 Gallon Drum - Pics

I started putting my barrels together this afternoon.

First I soaked them in PP, rinsed, cleaned with soap and rinsed very well.

I put 2" shower drains in the bottoms for clean out.

The 2" pipes went in very easily. I beveled the edges with a grinder and put Extra Virgin Olive Oil on them. (I'm Scilian, ok. )

WELL, next came the 26" piece of 4" pipe that would join the 2 barrels together. I used the grinder and beveled the edges and used oil. I started with the blue drum which was "deformed" from heat. I braced the inside with a piece of landscape timber and began to push. I tried a piece of wood over the end of the pipe and hit the SOB with a hammer.

DS decided to try. With his strength behind it, the uniseal kept going through the hole, pipe and all. :mad:

New strategy. I cut the pipe in 1/2 and tried it on the white barrel to see if it did the same thing. That 4" beveled pipe went in so easily, I was shocked. Less than 2 minutes. DS almost fell over the barrel, thinking it was going to take all his strength like it did on the blue barrel.

He decided to try the shorter piece on the blue barrel. After much pushing and maneuvering, he finally got it through the blue barrel. The heat damage to the other side of the barrel must have affected the barrel. I'm hoping it's ok. I'm going to put a bead of silicone around that uniseal because it isn't fitting like the others.

The barrel holds water. I checked it out first. I can't find barrels here so I had to take what I could get.

I needed a few more parts so I'm not quite finished. I'm also going to build a microstrainer for the white barrel.

Can you say: Recycle old fittings and used pipe?
      Attached Images Attached Images      
      Last edited by kntry; 10-23-2005 at 09:57 PM.
      Sandy
      CKK, KHA

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Simi Koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

looking good! but I'd remove that screen from the shower drain, otherwise it will clog and be VERY difficult to clean once its full.

I also noticed your uniseal is on top of a ridge...maybe thats why it isn't fitting as well and/or was harder to get in?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm going to remove the screen on the blue barrel but the white barrel is going to have AK-11 so I need the screen on it.

That's the 2" uniseal on the ridge. The 4" is on the smooth plastic. I think the plastic was weaken by the heat enough to make it hard to kepp the uniseal in place while forcing the pipe through.
      Sandy
      CKK, KHA

seanmckinney is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

To grind bevels on pipes I frequently use a bench grinder, it takes some practise and needs two people with big pipe but you can get very fine tapers if you want, right down to literally a sharp edge on the end of the pipe. There is also a silicon grease sold here for use with pushfit plumbing, its quite useful at time and avoids a lot of to cover the swearing
      Last edited by seanmckinney; 10-24-2005 at 06:01 AM.

aartwmich is offline Insatiably Curious Ponderer
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Your bevel looks a little rough and like sean says you want to get it down to ALMOST a sharp edge. I used a sander with 80 grit paper on it, went more than 45 degrees from the end and used Pam spray olive oil. I also used short sections of pipe in the uniseals then ferncos to join the pipes between tubs, this made it easier to handle pushing the pipe thru the seal and also gave me some flexiblity in between tubs.

I can't believe that you pushed the flange of the uniseal thru the hole!!!

Anne (the 'e' is silent) the Armchair Ponder

Judge no one by their outward appearance or where they work or live or worship........but by the content of their character displayed in the integrity of their actions.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I started out with a bench grinder and switched to a hand grinder. It was rough but my DS has the garage such a mess there was no room to move the pipe around.:mad: By the time I decided to use the hand grinder I was aggravated.

I think the only reason the seal went through the barrel, more than once, is because of the heat damage. We didn't have any problem with the other barrel.
      Sandy
      CKK, KHA

CarolinaGirl is offline Inactivated
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I use a dremmel to grind the bevel on the pipes. SO much easier to control!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Re "It was rough but my DS has the garage such a mess there was no room to move the pipe around", I seem to be told that too. . I think women dont understand a garage or workshop is a working ennviroment with the bits and pieces stategically placed so that us men know where they are. Did you believe that? My mum doesnt either

Sandy mount the bench grinder on a piece of wood and clamp the wood in a loose big vise or a workmate

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You don't understand. THERE IS NO ROOM. DS just go released from the storm so he has until today to clean the mess up. After that, it's costing him $100 a day.

If you look behind the box on the table saw and the ladder, that's where the grinder is. (This is just one side of the garage.)

I bought my own grinder and vice, I just haven't had time to set it up.

Some of this mess is flooring that I was in the process of putting in the house and there is still some hurricane stuff that was thrown in here. But the majority is his doing.
      Sandy
      CKK, KHA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Blimey, an empty garage, where's the full one you are on about

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Simi Koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Time to load up the truck and drive over to the Salvation army

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That's a fact! Still not clean. Looks like I'll be making a lot of money towards Koiphen Show 2006 !
      Sandy
      CKK, KHA

Leekinneykoi is offline Supporting Member
      is 17 years and still working on
      the 2 week pond

Feeling:
      ----

I feel for you Sandy, I just cleaned mine two weeks ago because I wanted to work on my skimmer and sediment tank and also put my baby koi inside, my garage was worse, just a path to the house. It becomes a dumping ground for everything from my son and DW, but since they never do anything in there I have to clean it to use it. URGGGGHHH:mad: is this how you feel
      My favorite Quotes:

The person who makes no mistakes usually does not make anything.
      Everything starts as somebody's daydream
      Experience is a dear teacher, but fools will learn from no other

Proud Annual Charter Member # 3

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Lee, I feel your pain. I only posted the side where I was trying to get to the grinder. The other side of the garage is twice as wide and just as messed up. There is a path, sometimes wide enough to walk through without turning sideways (really), and sometimes there isn't.

I'm always the one to clean it. It takes an entire day to pull everything out, throw 1/2 the s$%t away and put the rest back. Both boys say it's not their mess. DH can't work out there since the wreck and I'm very neat and organized. I've watched my youngest over the last few months. He's changed rims, added a supercharger, changed transmissions, built and added new speaker boxes, yada, yada. Everything that came out and all the new equipment boxes get literally thrown into the garage. MY tools are all missing, except the ones I had locked up , and the place is a disaster.

I can send him to your house. He'll clean your garage for you in a couple of hours and have fun doing it. He just won't do it here. :mad:

So now it's going to cost him, A LOT.
      Sandy
      CKK, KHA

Leekinneykoi is offline Supporting Member
      is 17 years and still working on
      the 2 week pond

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kntry
      I can send him to your house. He'll clean your garage for you in a couple of hours and have fun doing it. He just won't do it here. :mad:
      This seems to be all boys now days my son is exactly the same, helps everyone but me. His room looks like it gets a hurricane each day.
      My favorite Quotes:

The person who makes no mistakes usually does not make anything.
      Everything starts as somebody's daydream
      Experience is a dear teacher, but fools will learn from no other

Proud Annual Charter Member # 3

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

LOL, he's been cleaning his room for the last 2 days. His idea of cleaning his room - take out 3 weeks of laundry and dump it in front of the washer. :mad: Maybe one day, he'll get to washing his clothes, I won't unless they're put out every day..

Oh, he's almost 21, not really a boy. He's caught in that "don't know if I'm a boy or a man mode".
      Sandy
      CKK, KHA

Tired and overworked is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I can feel the pain, my son is almost 21, room a mess. The garage is DH's I can't store anything there long or he moves it to another storage building. The garage is always neat and organized, by DH, DS uses the garage and leaves it a mess, my son's Bronco has 6" lift and lg. tires, which he did himself. My son hopes to go away to college next year, I'm hoping he can I'm tired of keeping the peace around here and would love to relax. Maryann.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Maryann, mine left for college and came home after.:mad: I thought for sure he'd stay in Tenneesee.

He has 3 Broncos. One has a lift kit on it but it's much higher than 6". I just don't know how high. He does all that himself also. He used to be the one messing up the garage. Now it's the 21 yr. old. :mad:
      Sandy
      CKK, KHA

Dennis Woollum is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I can certainly identify with all of you. We can barely move in our garage despite cleaning and organizing it two months ago with new cabinets etc.. The 20 and 25-year-old sons with cars, toys and whatever are back home along with their stuff. Need to take it to storage. Zero chance of installing an indoor Q-tank before spring..
      Thanks,

Dennis

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm sorry, Dennis. It must be a male genetic disorder.

I'm scheduling either tomorrow or Tuesday to clean the garage, AGAIN.:mad: I'm backing DH's truck up to the door. You see, they both made the mistake of saying, and I quote...

"IT'S NOT MY MESS."

As I told them, that means

IF IT'S NOT YOUR MESS, YOU WON'T MISS IT, RIGHT, BECAUSE I'M THROWING IT AWAY.

Once it goes in the truck, there's no taking it out till it gets to DA DUMP.
      Sandy
      CKK, KHA

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast