Thread: Uniseal Installation in 55 Gallon Drum

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
      kntry is offline 2017 KPOTY
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Uniseal Installation in 55 Gallon Drum - Pics

I started putting my barrels together this afternoon.

First I soaked them in PP, rinsed, cleaned with soap and rinsed very well.

I put 2" shower drains in the bottoms for clean out.

The 2" pipes went in very easily. I beveled the edges with a grinder and put Extra Virgin Olive Oil on them. (I'm Scilian, ok. )

WELL, next came the 26" piece of 4" pipe that would join the 2 barrels together. I used the grinder and beveled the edges and used oil. I started with the blue drum which was "deformed" from heat. I braced the inside with a piece of landscape timber and began to push. I tried a piece of wood over the end of the pipe and hit the SOB with a hammer.

DS decided to try. With his strength behind it, the uniseal kept going through the hole, pipe and all. :mad:

New strategy. I cut the pipe in 1/2 and tried it on the white barrel to see if it did the same thing. That 4" beveled pipe went in so easily, I was shocked. Less than 2 minutes. DS almost fell over the barrel, thinking it was going to take all his strength like it did on the blue barrel.

He decided to try the shorter piece on the blue barrel. After much pushing and maneuvering, he finally got it through the blue barrel. The heat damage to the other side of the barrel must have affected the barrel. I'm hoping it's ok. I'm going to put a bead of silicone around that uniseal because it isn't fitting like the others.

The barrel holds water. I checked it out first. I can't find barrels here so I had to take what I could get.

I needed a few more parts so I'm not quite finished. I'm also going to build a microstrainer for the white barrel.

Can you say: Recycle old fittings and used pipe?
      Attached Images Attached Images      
      Last edited by kntry; 10-23-2005 at 09:57 PM.
      Sandy
      CKK, KHA