• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My New Kohaku

Carolkoi is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

About the quarantine, I just had a hair-raising experience with mine. I came home early Friday, around 4:30, and the submersible pump had gotten separated from the line going to the filter. So although the pump was running, it wasn't going anywhere and the ammonia was sky high. Too many fish in there. And all the fish were floating on their sides on the top of the water! After the Atlanta show, I had come home with 2 new fish and it was very late (10:30pm) so I had no time to get the old fish out of there and into the big pond. I had planned on doing that but kept procrastinating. They'd been in there a year already. So had no choice but put these two new ones in with the rest of them. Guess it was overload. Especially with feeding them, as the water started to degenerate and when the filter stopped, that was the final straw! I started running fresh water into the tank. I had no dechlor on hand, as often as I tell others to always have it, I had none. My water has almost negligible amounts of chlorine so I wasn't that worried. The first to die, later that night, was the beautiful little longfin hariwake I got from Tarheel. The next morning it was my gorgeous 3 year old gin rin showa. Then last night it was the yamatonishiki, the other fish I had gotten from Tarheel. I feel so guilty! Those lovely people and I killed their fish... Then today I finally got someone to come here and do a better hook up and the filter is still running after 7 hours, so keep your fingers crossed. I had kept hooking it up and everytime a fish swam by it, the hose jumped off again. I left the water spraying from the hose overnight last night and no more deaths since this morning. The fish that are left are 3 of those fish from Vietnam that I bought through the KHV benefit auction last year (they were 4-5" then and are 10-15" now!) and about half dozen of this years fry, now about 2". I'll really miss those fish that died and I learned a good lesson. I am waiting for someone to come to hook up a real filter for me, with external pump (which I have 2 in the garage, waiting!) and I have a BBF1 in the garage too. I am no good at the plumbing. I put out the help call and will continue to call until it happens. Meanwhile, I need to find out how to know if there is any chance the two Tarheel fish were ever exposed to KHV or not, because I would love to just get those Vietnamese fish into the big pond! Any ideas??

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Noonie is offline Super Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Oh, Carol--What a heartbreak! I'm so sorry! It almost makes you want to camp out next to the Q tank! ~Noonie
      Proud Charter Member #3 of Koiphen
      Bride of Tim, Mommy of Nico
      The Chirp in The NicTones
      Member KCSD

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12