• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: sick koi

Fernan is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

sick koi

Hello Im new to this i have a sick koi everything about the fish is OK swims has an appetite but theirs a sore on its side that i have not been able to identify i have the fish isolated been treating with Melafix but it does not seem to go away. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Need a good pic.

graybird is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Where in California are you? Things you can do that will help while you're gathering more info: do a 10% water change every day, adding a dechlorinator when you refill; clean your filters twice a week; discontinue the Melafix, it will only coat the gills and irritate the koi's ulcer.

Please go to the top of the emergency forum and provide the test results and information about your pond that are specified there. If you don't have drop test kits, you will need them; most PetSmarts carry at least some of the API brand, and those are available on Amazon. We can do a much better job of helping you if we have the "picture" that those numbers provide.

If you can't take a pic, please describe the ulcer. Size, color, placement are all helpful. Are the fins degrading at all? Look at the mouth too if you can get a good angle, that's a popular spot for pathogenic bacteria to get working.
      Mary

Roger is offline Senior Member
      is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Fernan View Post
      Hello Im new to this i have a sick koi everything about the fish is OK swims has an appetite but theirs a sore on its side that i have not been able to identify i have the fish isolated been treating with Melafix but it does not seem to go away. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
      Melafix is good for fresh wounds like split fins, and small infected abrasions, but not so much of a cure for advanced bacterial diseases. Poor water quality is the basic cause of fish illness. A good filtration system will not clear the ammonia and nitrite if there is no KH (carbonate hardness) in the water. The nitrifying bacteria consumes KH until it goes to zero, so 10% weekly water changes and or addition of baking soda is required to replenish the consumed KH.

We need to know if the fish has been flashing or rubbing itself off things that caused the sore. Flashing tells us its either flukes or parasites. No flashing most likely bacteria infection. We need more info and picture to recommend a cure.

KoiValley is offline WWKC Lifetime Diamond Member #3
      is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

Listen to greybird......Melafix is a marketing juju and has no place in koi treatment except to keep the water smelling pretty while fish die.

I still cannot believe that anyone would ever use this except to keep the water smelling "nice" as my water garden suppliers used to say.....while the fish died....

Not that I expect anyone to believe it, but it is truly a marketing adventure which was embellished by those who had absolutely no idea of what it could be used for-which in the koi hobby is merely as I said: make the water smell good and all is well.......Isn't it nice that those who hold the check book can find ways to make us buy it....

Karl
      Karl Schoeler, founder: EIHIOICGI

Certified: AKCA Better Health Practices December 2008

KoiValley is offline WWKC Lifetime Diamond Member #3
      is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

Listen to greybird......Melafix is a marketing juju and has no place in koi treatment except to keep the water smelling pretty while fish die.

I still cannot believe that anyone would ever use this except to keep the water smelling "nice" as my water garden suppliers used to say.....while the fish died....

Adendum:

Not that I expect anyone to believe it, but it is truly a marketing adventure which was embellished by those who had absolutely no idea of what it could be used for-which in the koi hobby is merely as I said: make the water smell good and all is well.......Isn't it nice that those who hold the check book can find ways to make us buy it....It would make a considerable amount of sense to write a rule that indicates melafix cannot be mentioned on this forum without considerable laughter and donations to the new but yet unpublished book of Koi Medications which are suggested by nearly anyone who owns No Koi........"Roger that".

Regards,

Karl
      Karl Schoeler, founder: EIHIOICGI

Certified: AKCA Better Health Practices December 2008

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007