• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: How long should I quarantine a recovering fish?

david24x7 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How long should I quarantine a recovering fish?

Hi All,
      I am treating one of my koi that I found lying on his side on the bottom. I thought was going to die. It's not unusual to get a sick fish with same symptoms this time of year when the temperature drops below 55 degrees and I have lost a few by not acting fast enough. There is no red fins or red belly so not sure what it could be. This year I anticipated this and pretreated the pond with Proform-C but it still caught old Blue off guard.

The good news is that I got old Blue into a quarantine tank right away and began treatment with Nitrofurizone powder. After 2 days, he was off his side and upright again, and has been for 3 days now.

My question is "how long should I keep him in quarantine before returning him back to the pond?"

My QT is a 40 gallon plastic stock tank with airstone, water jet and aquarium heater - but no filtration. I have the temp raised to 60-65 degrees and have been treating every day along with 30%-40% water changes each day. I have covered the tank with wire fencing so he can't jump out and raccoons can't jump in but I'm concerned that a raccoon could reach through the fencing and cause some real damage. Hence, I would rather not keep Blue in this precarious situation longer than necessary.

So, given that he is looking better, how long should I wait to lower the temp and get Blue back home? I'm sure that he misses his buddies.

Thanks for your advice!
      Dave

graybird is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Lower the temp 5 per day until it matches that of the pond, then transfer.
      Mary

ademink is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is looking at revamping
      filtration...yet again.

Feeling:
      ----

Since you couldn't find any obvious issues, there is a good chance your koi can't handle the lower temps. I have a handful that are like this and they have to come in for the winter. If you decide to put it back out, keep an eye on it b/c you may end up in the same situation again. Good luck!
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

david24x7 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks guys. Blue has weathered the cold for a few years and it really doesn't get "that" cold in Oakland. I think that I'll get 5 full days of Nitrofurizone treatment in him before gradually reducing the temperature so I can get him back safe and sound.

I appreciate the advice.

Dave