• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Volume of soil in a pond excavation , need help!

Subersibo is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Volume of soil in a pond excavation , need help!

Hi guys! Tell me if I got this correctly: pond Iím digging is going to be 13x10x3 ft deep.
      I multiply those figures and divide by 27 and get 390 and divide by 27 to get 14.4 cu yards.
      Am I right that this is the total amount of dirt that will be dug out?
      At this point I have dug out half the pond and the parts dug out are only about 2 feet deep. So i estimate the dirt excavated at about 10 yards.
      A lot of the dirt came out in huge clumps and as a result Iíve no more space to put more dirt so I have stopped digging.
      I have attempted to advertise the dirt on Craigslist but no takers so I listed it so that Iíll pay $400 to whoever takes it. Someone has been here taking the dirt for the past 2 days and hopefully she will finish today. She did have some helpers and I have been helping as well. I was kind of hesitant at first as i wanted someone with a trailer to take it so they wouldnít have to make several trips. I think she is getting overwhelmed and was telling me it is more like moving 30 yards because she has to get it in a wheelbarrow, move it to her truck and then unload it somewhere. So moving 10 yards 3 times= 30 yards! I donít know if she is expecting me to pay her that much but I was clear take the 10 yards and Iíll pay you $400.
      The amount of dirt seems to be overwhelming for a pond not even close to being dug out completely so I hope I didnít compute incorrectly.
      Name:  2E2FD3FD-0DBA-4990-9286-D7CCA2767714.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  265.6 KBName:  AA52B056-F175-4B0A-AD09-9B324689A3EF.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  173.3 KB
      Last edited by Subersibo; 1 Week Ago at 04:06 PM.

drodz is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes you calculated the amount to be dug correctly. What you missed is the swell factor of dirt. Depending on what type of dirt you have (and it looks like clay in the pictures), the swell factor can vary from 20-40%. In other words.... once excavated your 14.4 cu yards can "swell" to 17.28 or as high as 20 cubic yards.

Good luck.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yipes! It is heavy clay. So far my extraction has been 11x8 and 2’ deep so about 6.5 yards. If I add in the swell factor at say, 50%, then about 13 yards.
      There is still quite a bit left from what she already took.
      Hmm, looks like I should probably not let her finish taking all the dirt then.

drodz is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes. Dirt "multiplies" (the correct term is swells) once you start moving it around. You are taking it from a compacted state to "loose" dirt.

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Build looking good so far. Do you have video of the build I’m essed in watching all the updates. About the dirt. Have you considered just leveling it out in the whole garden or working it into a waterfall? If there’s a flood then your house will be the last to flood.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks! Yes, I am planning to use the dirt to build a waterfall but was hoping to get rid of what I had dug out so far as I don’t have anywhere else to put the dirt that I have yet to dig out. I don’t have anywhere else in the yard to put it as I finished landscaping the other parts already.
      I could use it to level out low spots but am concerned about impeding access to drainage spots and getting dirt too close to the wooden fence.
      I may just have to rent a dumpster.

pickerel is online now Supporting Member
      is wishing for good weather.

Feeling:
      Happy

It's looking good. I can see your problem though. You're definitely going to have to take all that dirt somewhere. I think I see a lot of trips to the countryside in your future.

jimfish98 is online now Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

How did you list it on craigslist? I posted "free fill dirt", a few pics and said come take all you want. I had three people show up within a day or two and it was gone.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You are lucky! I did list it as free but no takers in 2 months except for a guy who took about 5 buckets full!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I wanted to build up the low spots (in red) but am concerned that it may mess up how rain water flows for drainage.Name:  1E8B4EA1-EB13-4DAC-B055-348F7DB421F6.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  120.5 KB