• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Cold weather winter

Beezer is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Cold weather winter

I live in the Buffalo area where it gets super cold and this is my first winter with a koi pond. Should I remove the waterfall and filter system and just leave my air pump with two stones?

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

People with colder climates will chime in soon. Have u considered taking them inside for the winter?

Beezer is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I don’t know if that’s an option. What would you put them in like a kiddie pool? Sorry I’m still so new to this. Our house came with the pond and fish so I’m trying to do my best

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Depending on how koi and how big they are you might need a bigger temporary pond
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intex-86-x-...-/392155746544

Cheers

Grumpy is online now Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn

Feeling:
      Happy

No clue what the previous owner did with his fish? Any indication where a pool was setup inside, say in the garage?

DarkStar is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
      I live in the Buffalo area where it gets super cold and this is my first winter with a koi pond. Should I remove the waterfall and filter system and just leave my air pump with two stones?
      Hi Beezer, Welcome to Koiphen!
      I live in PA. We still get sub-zero temps. Buffalo winters are Wicked - often worse than ours! Years ago I had a 10,000 gal. Outdoor pond with a waterfall and the first year I tried keeping the waterfall and filter running. That year the temps were exceptionally bad. Our waterfall froze, as did our pump and our aerator died and the pond froze over completely. We lost equipment and some fish.
      What I learned is that waterfalls will freeze (unless you have them heated), and running waterfalls will chill your pond much faster than standing water.
      For our pond we figured out a way to temporarily re-plumb to bypass the waterfall but keep the filter circulating directly in-pond which worked out fairly well, (couldn’t depend on that much for aeration though) so we had a small covered compressor with 2 air manifolds in the top one-third part of the pond that really bubbled like crazy (like boiling water) to keep the pond from freezing over completely (otherwise harmful gasses will build up) and the fish stayed down at the lowest part of the pond where the water is the warmest.

May I ask - How big is your pond? How big are your fish? How many do you have?
      Find Something You Would Die For And Live for It.

maccrory is offline Junior Member
      is Happy Koi Owner

Feeling:
      Embarrased

Quote Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
      Breezer - I live in SE PA and our winters are milder than yours but we can also get very cold at times along with some snow (nothing compared to what Buffalo gets). You will prob need something a little more stout than just a few airstones to keep an opening in the pond. I use the Danner bubbler (https://www.amazon.com/Danner-04520-...=pond+air+pump). It will create a lot more turbulence at the surface and will help to keep an opening in the pond. I keep the pump inside a large home depot black plastic box with holes in the side for the air hose and power and put a large rock on top to keep it in place.

When it gets really cold I also use a homemade device. I put a cheap clamp light (https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-5-1-...4603/202847397) that i mount with a hanger in an upsidedown large planter with a 65 watt halogen flood light. It creates enough heat to keep an opening in the pond on very cold days. Those 2 items have kept my fish alive in freezing cold and 3' of snow for over 20 years.

NYkoiman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This is what has worked for me in preparation for NY winters:

-bring aeration stone close to water surface (12 inches or so) near edge of pond where you have access to break ice on those super cold days (ice will be thinnest at this site where aeration is)

-Prophylactically do shotgun treatment with Proform C/Prazi once water starts dropping into the 50-55deg range (and do the same in spring). Also have emergency meds on standby (PP and salt COULD be used at low temps, Proform C NOT below 50deg)

-drain all filters and also loosen connections to manifolds/UV etc. in attempt to evacuate water which could freeze/expand/crack these closed off sections (ASK ME WHY I KNOW THIS...)

-this is the time lower bio load (i.e. trim back all dormant perennial plants, trade/give away any ugly ducklings etc. you don't plan on keeping long term)

-stop all feeding once water drops below 50deg

Name:  IMG_6411.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  91.7 KB
      Name:  IMG_1796.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  209.2 KB
      Last edited by NYkoiman; 1 Week Ago at 09:15 PM.