• Tired
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Rdf reviews

kevin32 is offline Supporting Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by KoiRun View Post
      I'm such a loser. I had to ask Alexa what a luddite is. uggh.
      I dont want to look it up. I appreciate your posts and dont feel like you are being shot down. We all have our opinions. At same time everyone has had great results from rdf and proper shower or whatever.

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by vipertom1970 View Post
      Why would you design a system to use new domestic water to clean the screen ? You rather use the that water to fill the pond and use clean side water from the RDF to spay the screen.
      Mine uses domestic water and I prefer that for my situation as I don't need to worry about a separate auto-fill since the over-spray from the wash cycle provides a steady supply of fresh water to the pond. I am on well water so I don't need to worry about chemicals so that helps. With either method you are going to need to deal with fresh water entering the pond either to replace the water that goes down the drain or the over-spray from the cleaning cycle.

vipertom1970 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sorry I am thinking from a guy in California where water is exspensive and have a drought problem.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by tbullard View Post
      Mine uses domestic water and I prefer that for my situation as I don't need to worry about a separate auto-fill since the over-spray from the wash cycle provides a steady supply of fresh water to the pond. I am on well water so I don't need to worry about chemicals so that helps. With either method you are going to need to deal with fresh water entering the pond either to replace the water that goes down the drain or the over-spray from the cleaning cycle.
      Yep exactly.

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sorry I am thinking from a guy in California where water is exspensive and have a drought problem.
      Isn't the same either way? If you spray with pond water that water has to be replaced which would be the same as using the fresh water to spray. Either way the same amount of water is going to waste with each clean cycle.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

I'm on moderated posting and said the same thing tbullard did. Maybe just 12 hours later

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Why would you design a system to use new domestic water to clean the screen ? You rather use the that water to fill the pond and use clean side water from the RDF to spay the screen.
      Why? No expensive high pressure pump, and the chlorinated water helps kill the bacteria on the RDF screen. Of course, water does get added to keep the pond full, so in the big picture, it makes no difference in terms of water usage, but it does save money, is simpler, and keeps the screen clean. That's why!
      Last edited by kimini; 1 Week Ago at 01:08 AM.

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Don’t let yesterday use
      up too much of today

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      I'm on moderated posting and said the same thing tbullard did. Maybe just 12 hours later
      Behave then
      M.Nguyen

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by OCkoiFan View Post
      Behave then
      I have been haha

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by kimini View Post
      Why? No expensive high pressure pump, and the chlorinated water helps kill the bacteria on the RDF screen. Of course, water does get added to keep the pond full, so in the big picture, it makes no difference in terms of water usage, but it does save money, is simpler, and keeps the screen clean. That's why!
      You aren't running the booster pump also?

ademink is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is looking at revamping
      filtration...yet again.

Feeling:
      ----

you are only recirculating small % of water back to the moving bed unless you match up the pumps or run higher flow from MB to shower. Why not pump from BD to RDF then RDF gravity flows to the shower back to the pond.
      I simply am not setup to gravity flow to the shower. Unless I overtake the neighbor's yard and do several other heroic things, this is the setup that works best for me.

RE: the question as to why recirculate to the shower from the MB.... from what I researched, it doesn't appear that there is enough confidence in a MB alone providing adequate biofiltration. Since this unit came all in one, it was a perfect solution for my footprint and to provide the maximum filtration I could find.

I am using a PB-25000 so I would guesstimate that the actual pull to the shower is 4000gph. (I still can't wrap my brain around calculating head loss etc. 5 feet straight up to the shower...that's all I know lol).
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

mplskoi is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Kevin- you said that you like how the BE flaps open up in a low water situation. I don't think mine have ever functioned properly. Did you have to adjust yours at all? I wish mine did work right.

Koirun- I just finished my second year on an RDF. In the heat of the summer I run my UV on a timer- about 8-12 hours per day. RDF to suspended media- static bed style for the first year. In my second year I added a shower that 50% of my water goes thru. And the other 50% goes thru suspended media (H1?) only. I only ran the UV about 2 months this year, and only 8-12 hours per day. No other crutches.

I love my RDF.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by mplskoi View Post
      Kevin- you said that you like how the BE flaps open up in a low water situation. I don't think mine have ever functioned properly. Did you have to adjust yours at all? I wish mine did work right.

Koirun- I just finished my second year on an RDF. In the heat of the summer I run my UV on a timer- about 8-12 hours per day. RDF to suspended media- static bed style for the first year. In my second year I added a shower that 50% of my water goes thru. And the other 50% goes thru suspended media (H1?) only. I only ran the UV about 2 months this year, and only 8-12 hours per day. No other crutches.

I love my RDF.
      No I didn't and they didnt open much. The flowfriend pump just slowed down in flow and all was fine. I suspect they can be a little looser but didnt want to mess with it

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by mplskoi View Post
      Just to add to what Kevin said about them not opening much, I didn't even realize mine were opening either.
      The clean side has to almost be completely empty before mine opened; but it does keep the pumps from running
      dry in case of a problem. You might intentionally let the clean side empty and I think you'll see the bottom most
      valve open and start letting water out of the drum directly to feed the pumps.
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

rcmike is offline Supporting Member
      is Still learning every day!

Feeling:
      Happy

I have a profidrum I bought used a little over a year ago. It is working very well and I am super happy with it. The main reason I went with it over other brands is I got a good deal on it and heard support was good for them. I considered getting a used blue eco but read of all the problems and lack of support and decided not to get that one. Actually Kevin's 33 page thread on his problems had a big influence on that decision even though he says it works well. Just picking on ya Kevin.
      Honestly I havent had a single problem out of the profidrum. I pop the lid on it to check it every week or so and maybe spray out the waste tray if there is a little buildup but that's no big deal. I actually have my bottom drains and skimmer going directly into it so occasionally there are a few leaves or other plant material in it but not much.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      I would also like to add I really dont feel pumps pulverize wastes as much as we like to pretend they do. So a gravity fed is best but if the pond was not designed for it then a pump fed rdf is your best bet. Imo the flowfriend at 3 inch diameter and low rpm would churn the waste very little by the way it is designed. Pump feeding a 300 micron sieve which is 5 times less is a different story imo
      I had two saltwater tanks overflowing into he same sump with a pump pumping water back to both. One day I noticed a 2 inch fish that was in one tank was in the other. They were separated by 4 or 5 feet so they only way the fish could have gotten in the other tank was to go over the overflow and through the pump and into the other tank. It wasn't injured at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ademink View Post
      I simply am not setup to gravity flow to the shower. Unless I overtake the neighbor's yard and do several other heroic things, this is the setup that works best for me.
      Right! Most people who have upgraded to RDFs have to work with what they have. Sure, if you were building from scratch you could have done it differently but I see no problem with your setup. It might not be technically as efficient but if it works then great!

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by rcmike View Post
      I have a profidrum I bought used a little over a year ago. It is working very well and I am super happy with it. The main reason I went with it over other brands is I got a good deal on it and heard support was good for them. I considered getting a used blue eco but read of all the problems and lack of support and decided not to get that one. Actually Kevin's 33 page thread on his problems had a big influence on that decision even though he says it works well. Just picking on ya Kevin.
      Honestly I havent had a single problem out of the profidrum. I pop the lid on it to check it every week or so and maybe spray out the waste tray if there is a little buildup but that's no big deal. I actually have my bottom drains and skimmer going directly into it so occasionally there are a few leaves or other plant material in it but not much.

I had two saltwater tanks overflowing into he same sump with a pump pumping water back to both. One day I noticed a 2 inch fish that was in one tank was in the other. They were separated by 4 or 5 feet so they only way the fish could have gotten in the other tank was to go over the overflow and through the pump and into the other tank. It wasn't injured at all.

Right! Most people who have upgraded to RDFs have to work with what they have. Sure, if you were building from scratch you could have done it differently but I see no problem with your setup. It might not be technically as efficient but if it works then great!
      Hey I was going to sell my used blue eco to Kyle on here. Instead he went with the combi 50. I honestly felt bad selling it so I asked if he could afford the combi and he could. Was a better choice in the long wrong. My my rdf problems have been from user error to be honest. After I added the pressure tank to the blue eco it works pretty well. Idk why but it spins way faster now. I'm on concrete and I know it is 100% level now. I also like the adjustable legs on the blue eco

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

All this stuff people come up with is just shared beliefs. If you were using a high rpm pool pump then maybe it would pulverize the waste. A pump fed rdf is the best you can get without redoing the pond with true bds and a filter pit. They do work though. Next best thing is the zakki sieve period!

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Don’t let yesterday use
      up too much of today

Feeling:
      Cool

What about mitchiesan’s gold pan wet dry combo shower Kevin ? Ahhaha
      M.Nguyen

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by OCkoiFan View Post
      What about mitchiesan’s gold pan wet dry combo shower Kevin ? Ahhaha
      Good bang for the buck bro. I have no vested interest in rdfs or pumps or need to defend my purchases at all..gold pans is a good idea and seems to work

DragonFireSG is offline Senior Member
      is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

I've been looking at a German made industrial aquaculture system from Senect.de for the new pond.

It's a bit pricey, all in a touch over 10,000 euros - probably 12,500 after shipping and taxes.

It can handle a huge volume though, almost 48,000 gph in a 3'x4'x3' space (wxdxh), and is made entirely out of stainless steel.

This basically has the same capacity as the monstrous Red Label 200/100XL that takes up 5'x5'x2.5'.

The Red Label has one up on redundancy though, since a partial mechanical failure won't take the whole unit out of service.
      The RL is also a little cheaper. On the flip side, it is made of PP instead of 316L.

Here's a line drawing of the unit. It's a channel installed system. One end opens into the dirty water sump, the other end is open to the pumps. No plumbing, save for the waste line to worry about - Just design the chambers of the pond filter to fit its width nicely, drop in the unit from the top, and seal the sides and bottom with some caulking rubber. Simplicity.

The TR80-100 is the 180m3/h (48k gph) model. The biggest unit handles a whopping 250m3 an hour. The TR80 is their smallest diameter drum at 31.5". The next line up has a 43.3" drum.

Name:  senecttr80.PNG
Views: 58
Size:  130.7 KB

+ Full stainless steel industrial construction. It's built for folk who rely on it for their livelihoods.
      + Channel install - almost no plumbing to do. All parts are easily accessible.
      + A lot of flow capacity for the footprint - 66,000 gph in a 3'x5.5' footprint for the largest model.
      + Full featured controller - Sensors for a lot of options like ORP, PH, Temp. It is practically like a Neptune Apex. An Apple IOS app allows remote monitoring and management.
      + Field-replaceable parts - The screen in particular can be replaced with 3rd party parts and basic tools. Most other RDF don't have easily replaceable screens.

- Expensive!
      - Channel install - if your pond isn't built specifically to support such a system, retrofitting may be complicated. They have enclosed units, but those cost even more...
      - Full featured controller - If you don't need the features, you're overpaying for this part.
      - Measures need to be taken to prevent the clean side water level from dropping below a certain safe level. Water is heavy, and the drum is large. Letting the clean side run dry will cause damage to the drum and bearings. To put things in perspective, the second largest 37"x47" drum has nearly 900 pounds of water in it when 66% full. Things gonna break if it isn't supported.
      - Specialized parts - Some parts are custom fabricated, and will need to be ordered from the manufacturer should they need replacement.
      - You're own your own if you import this direct from the manufacturer since there is no US distro support.
      - All your eggs are in one basket (unless you can afford two!). True of most RDF installs since they are rather expensive things...
      Last edited by DragonFireSG; 4 Days Ago at 04:49 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345