• Tired

Thread: Molecular motor proteins in melanocytes - interesting

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Molecular motor proteins in melanocytes - interesting

Boggles my mind what we know today.
      For something koi related fast forward to 13:45 (though fast-forwarding not recommended)

Related video:

What is the difference between melanosome, melanin and melanophore? Can somebody explain?
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

Rob Forbis is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Amazing where the love of nishikigoi leads.

A paper that covers this stuff with diagrams: https://www.intechopen.com/books/cur...ls-in-disguise

Also if you want mind boggling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hk9jct2ozY And now you know how the Okazaki Fragment works.

Melanin is a black pigment whose exact chemical composition is somewhat ambiguous. But nothing short of carbon nanotubes absorbs more light. There are two types of melanin: Eumelanin and Pheomelanin, fish only have eumelanin. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17083485

Melanophore is a fish skin cell, a color cell, a type of chromatophore that contains the melanin. Melanophores are easily imaged with light microscopy and even can be seen individually with the unaided eye. This is especially easy to see on brown koi, since brown is dark orange. That is orange overlaid intermittently with black dots.

Melanosomes are tiny two layer membrane organelles that contains the melanin and are located within the radial arms of the melanophore. Melanosomes are the tiny spheres containing melanin that the motor proteins are towing. To image melanosomes electron microscopy is required.
      Last edited by Rob Forbis; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:07 PM.

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Thanks Rob for the explanation and for that riveting video (link). It IS amazing where the love of nishikigoi leads thus I feel I owe a lot to my dear pets.

Another mind boggling video:

Last edited by KoiRun; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:10 AM.
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

Rob Forbis is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Koi say “Make us more beautiful”, “Take us to the stars”, “Give me something to eat”. They do require this of you! Nishikigoi is not a one way street.

And it is the true wonder of wonders that we apparently live in a self-licking ice cream cone. These structures are not the result of intelligent design rather they are result of the blind brute stupidity of nature, stupid design. “Better is by evil made still better”. Over the course of billions years Natural Selection tests trillions of things removing untold septillions of structures and beings thereby increasing the codification of information. Nature applied nurture to number. Or as Budgie would say “We’re in for the Kill”.

And the original post was about melanophores. Koi have three colors: Black, Red (orange/yellow) and white (shiro, gin rin, hikarimono). There is no blue, green, purple, or brown pigment. But there are brown koi. It came as something of a revelation to me that brown is dark orange. My doitsu chagoi is returning to her winter color of copper in sunlight from summer’s dark overtones. Her melanophores are aggregating.
      Attached Images Attached Images