• Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheap indoor pond?

kevin32 is offline Supporting Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Nguyen365 View Post
      I need to look into the retrofit for my 1000 gallon then. I still have solids in my tank and I like a clean tank. I wonder if I can put one of those moving robots like swimming pools and have it sweep my pond
      A 3 inch retrofit would be great. No more vacuuming pond. This lets the good algae and bacteria still thrive on the liner. I'm not a fan of vacuuming the pond clean

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I can tell you from experience how I learned koi need bigger ponds (or tanks). Bought my first koi at local Walmart about 25 years ago.

My first "pond" was an old bathtub sunk into the ground. Approximate size was 75 gallons. A small pump churned the water too much, so I added a small preform waterfall. Seven 4-6 inch koi and a bullfrog overwintered in it with a stock tank deicer to prevent freezing.

Next spring I realized my pond was too small for my rapidly growing koi, so I put in a 275 gallon preform pond. Next spring pond was again not big enough for koi, so I made them a 5,000 gallon pond.

Now I don't even like to put koi in a 1,000 gallon QT tank as it is a very quick way to kill koi if the electricity goes off and cuts off their oxygen in the summer.
      Nancy

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by koi4u2c View Post
      I can tell you from experience how I learned koi need bigger ponds (or tanks). Bought my first koi at local Walmart about 25 years ago.

My first "pond" was an old bathtub sunk into the ground. Approximate size was 75 gallons. A small pump churned the water too much, so I added a small preform waterfall. Seven 4-6 inch koi and a bullfrog overwintered in it with a stock tank deicer to prevent freezing.

Next spring I realized my pond was too small for my rapidly growing koi, so I put in a 275 gallon preform pond. Next spring pond was again not big enough for koi, so I made them a 5,000 gallon pond.

Now I don't even like to put koi in a 1,000 gallon QT tank as it is a very quick way to kill koi if the electricity goes off and cuts off their oxygen in the summer.
      Well said. Get a new tank even at 8 foot diameter we have over 1,000 gallons. Don't add driftwood or gravel like there aquarium has. Not trying to Be rude but beneficial with my post

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      A 3 inch retrofit would be great. No more vacuuming pond. This lets the good algae and bacteria still thrive on the liner. I'm not a fan of vacuuming the pond clean
      . My pond was set on concrete that was preformed with a slant for drainage thatís why my current 1900gph oase classic isnít that effective. Iím getting another 3800gph periha coming in and Iíll have 2 sets of filtration systems on my pond. Iíll place the pumps on the two sides lowest on the pond. Or would it be better for me to place them closer in the middle?
      Last edited by Nguyen365; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:28 PM.

GloriaL is offline Supporting Member
      is YADA YADA YADA YADA WWKC Life
      time Diamond Member

Feeling:
      ----

i remembered someone had a bottom drain on one of these but I donít know how a bottom drain would work unless one can recess it into the ground. Wouldnít work if u have it in the garage
      Many people have built temporary indoor ponds and used a botom drain. My QT is on 3 sheets of the pink rigid foam insulation and we used a 3Ē toilet flange for the BD. WORKS LIKE A CHARM.
      GloriaL
      YADA YADA YADA YADA WWKC Life time Diamond Member # 10

GloriaL is offline Supporting Member
      is YADA YADA YADA YADA WWKC Life
      time Diamond Member

Feeling:
      ----

Do you already have the koi? How many are you trying to over winter inside? In general there is an inverse relationship between how much you spend on filtration and how much maintenance you need to do. Not 100%, but close. You should be aiming for very good water so for an indoor setup you will definitely need a liquid drop test kit to test for pH, ammonia, nitrites and KH. You will need to be able to do water changes, so make pkans for how you plan to get water out of your tank and back in.
      GloriaL
      YADA YADA YADA YADA WWKC Life time Diamond Member # 10

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

. My pond was set on concrete that was preformed with a slant for drainage that’s why my current 1900gph oase classic isn’t that effective. I’m getting another 3800gph periha coming in and I’ll have 2 sets of filtration systems on my pond. I’ll place the pumps on the two sides lowest on the pond. Or would it be better for me to place them closer in the middle?
      Probably one in the middle to oase. Then the other in the deep end.

I would also to try and return the filter water into the pond like a tpr to have push the water to the other end. Waste doesn't roll down hill like we think. So using current will help with a river flow design. Also aeration is great for moving waste as well.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yep Iíll be routing some of the 3850gph periha pump flow by putting some small holes through the corrugated 2 inch tubing To help with pond circulation
      Last edited by Nguyen365; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:46 PM.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Yep I’ll be routing some of the 3850gph periha pump flow by putting some small holes through the corrugated 2 inch tubing To help with pond circulation
      I wouldn't do that. Put a 2 inch bulkhead on the tote. I use a 4 inch on mine and alot of flow.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Agreed I’ve have to find one at the local hardware store with bulkhead diff tings then I can adjust the flow with the valve it’ll need to be like a T shaped

Sunnythekoi is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Anyone else have filter recommendations?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Diy filter like how Mitch and I have. It is so much easier to clean with a sieve filter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12