• Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish jumped out and showing signs of infection

kevin32 is online now Supporting Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Fish jumped out and showing signs of infection

My koi jumped out of tank 8 days ago. First pic is right after I put back in the pond and 2nd pic is today.

It was healing nice but I've been watching for signs of bacterial infection and saw some signs yesterday. It was suggested to add salt .3. The water is very cold now and it would be hard to heat 1200 gallons of water. I have elbagin but I thought it works best in Warmer temps. I can get injections also but same thing they work better in warmer water.

Edit. I'm going to add elbagin try to heat the water. I need to wire up my controller for the heaters. I can get injections tomorrow if things look worse
      Attached Images Attached Images   
      Last edited by kevin32; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:17 PM.

ademink is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is looking at revamping
      filtration...yet again.

Feeling:
      ----

I can't tell what we are supposed to be seeing in the second picture. Are those ulcers?
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by ademink View Post
      I can't tell what we are supposed to be seeing in the second picture. Are those ulcers?
      Just redness. Seems like bacterial infection. I added elbagin to help with the infection.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Getting worse. I'll load a video and my phone pics are to large to process which is weird

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Try loading the pictures one at a time. Most of my pics are too large to upload multiples.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Thanks rich. I think it was reading a mp4 format. I hate computers lol

Video
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVtd6mLWIuY
      Last edited by kevin32; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:43 PM.

mjfromga is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Lol expensive koi and ponds and whatnot and still take photos and records videos with a baked potato or a calculator. I can see the redness in the pectoral fin and on the side of the fish in the video a little bit but not much.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Got the tank up to 64 degrees. It is Looking about the same. I may need to get injection for this. I've never had much luck healing a bacterial infection without a single injection at least. This fish did jump out though so the injection could also be to much for the organs imo. The right side looks great but the left side is red. No signs of ulcers and I'm just thinking I should let this koi heal or should I inject fortaz?

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
      Lol expensive koi and ponds and whatnot and still take photos and records videos with a baked potato or a calculator. I can see the redness in the pectoral fin and on the side of the fish in the video a little bit but not much.
      Not sure what you mean about baked potatoes or a calculator. It is really hard to get pics or a video with a net on. I have a awesome cannon camera but i don't want to take the net off the pond and stess the koi unless I remove the koi to do injections. If I had the injections on hand i would have done them 2 days ago. They do work.

mjfromga is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It just looks grainy and 240p type quality. Even the video is grainy. I don't suspect anybody else can see any better than I can, which may explain the lack of posts here.

Does removing the net really stress them much? I have a net over my fish and I don't notice them skirting all over or seeming upset when I remove it. But I have goldfish and not Koi so IDK.

Anyway I do hope the Koi recovers... I hate seeing sick or hurt fish. He's in good hands.

Roger is offline Senior Member
      is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

I use this product made by Aquascape: Ulcer/Bacterial Infection treatment with 50 gallons of water in a 100 gallon tank and an air stone. I can treat two medium size koi at a time with water changes every other day for a total of 6 days. The water temperature should be close to the same on the first transfer out to the 100 gallon tank. They can go into shock and die with the bacteria treatment. Also, it is extremely important to measure the correct dose to water volume, putting less is better than putting more. Remember they can die if you over dose by a little amount. It is human nature to put a little more than necessary by habit, so I must warn you. This bacterial treatment is remarkable when used as directed. One product purchase can do many, many full treatments and will probably not run out for years, unless you use it in a large body of water which is a waste.
      Last edited by Roger; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:41 PM.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
      I use this product made by Aquascape: Ulcer/Bacterial Infection treatment with 50 gallons of water in a 100 gallon tank and an air stone. I can treat two koi at a time with water changes every other day for a total of 6 days. The water temperature should be close to the same on the first transfer out to the 100 gallon tank. They can go into shock and die with the bacteria treatment. Also, it is extremely important to measure the correct dose to water volume, putting less is better than putting more. Remember they can die if you over dose by a little amount. It is human nature to put a little more than necessary by habit, so I must warn you. This bacterial treatment is remarkable when used as directed. One product purchase can do many, many full treatments and will probably not run out for years, unless you use it in a large body of water which is a waste.
      Thanks roger. I'll order some and thanks for the warning. Some treatments need the exact volume for sure

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Just got home. It rained today so the weather warmed up here. Pond is now holding 68 degrees steady and the fish seems more active today and not isolating. Seems the redness went down as well. This koi was near dead and I suspected a bacterial infection would come in. That is why I watched it so close. I just felt injections were a little to much. The elbagin does work very well and seemed to take a little time unlike injections where the results can be seen in 24 hours or so

Cecil is offline Senior Member
      is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

Good for you, and good for you to know you needed to raise the temperature. From my experience with fish with injuries in cold water, and what Ive been told and read, that below optimum temps a fish's immune system is not running up to par. I once moved some fish from pond to pond in cold water, and even with the utmost care and salt (and they were a cold water fish) I still had fish that developed fungal issues from handling.

Also got fingerlings from a supplier that seined them as soon as the ice went out. I had to get them on feed ASAP or I would issues and hoped the water temp outside was on the rise.
      Last edited by Cecil; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:34 PM.
      The risk I took was calculated, but man am I bad at math!

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
      Good for you, and good for you to know you needed to raise the temperature. From my experience with fish with injuries in cold water, and what Ive been told and read, that below optimum temps a fishes immune system is not running up to par. I once moved some fish from pond to pond in cold water, and even with the utmost care and salt (and they were a cold water fish) I still had fish that developed fungal issues.
      Thanks unfortunately with heat also comes infections which the injections will help. The fish is kinda shedding some skin and hard to tell if this is healing or kinda going dropsy. I can't get ahold of my source for injections and might be busy on a pond build. I'm currently at 70 degrees in the pond and slowly brought the temp up. The fish is very active now but it could also be irritated. I really need the injections imo and fortaz is what i used to heal dropsy before. For ulcers amakicin seems to work better and healed ulcer in 2 days.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Well the skin is somewhat peeling on the left side now. I need injections but my source has been unavailable. Fish is still active but the bacterial infection seems to have the upper hand
      Last edited by kevin32; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:11 AM.

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You have a net on the pond now I think I’ll have to add one to my pond also before I collect more big koi into my pond

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Nguyen365 View Post
      You have a net on the pond now I think I’ll have to add one to my pond also before I collect more big koi into my pond
      Please do Tony. Better to be safe than sorry bud

Cecil is offline Senior Member
      is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

Is the fish feeding normally? I think getting feed into the fish with vitamins and minerals will be a plus too.
      The risk I took was calculated, but man am I bad at math!

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
      Is the fish feeding normally? I think getting feed into the fish with vitamins and minerals will be a plus too.
      No it wont eat. The tank is is only 12 days mature so it is hard to feed the other koi if this one is not eating which could lead to a ammonia or nitrite spike. I'm salted so they are protected from nitrites. I might run to my source and get amakicin and vitamin c shots. The skin is sort of peeling away from the fish now. So not sure if new skin is coming in. I'll get better pics when I bowl the fish to do the injections. I don't think this fish will heal without it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast