• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Salting to .03

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Salting to .03

I put the proper amount of salt each day I have a new tank setup and one fish did jump out. I'm adding .3 salt and believe this helps with the bacterial infection the koi is now showing. I can isolate this koi. I'm keeping my eye on it and keeping the water pristine

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

DarkStar is offline Supporting Member
      is Comfortably Numb

Feeling:
      ----

My sympathy. I'm dealing with stress, some with signs of infection, and laying on bottom from time to time (but no jumping thank goodness!) since my total pond clean-out and all new equipment. All new water, pond filtration hasn't completely cycled (stuck in Nitrites). Testing daily. Have salted to .3 but of course that will only delay the cycling process further.
      Find Something You Would Die For And Live for It.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

I never thought about it delaying the cycling. Is the salt messing with the nitrification process?

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      I put the proper amount of salt each day I have a new tank setup and one fish did jump out. I'm adding .3 salt and believe this helps with the bacterial infection the koi is now showing. I can isolate this koi. I'm keeping my eye on it and keeping the water pristine
      What do you mean by you put in the proper salt each day?

FYI: Maintaining salt in a Koi pond is very old school and not recommended by water quality experts now. Okay for new pond syndrome and 0.06 for treating certain aliments.
      Last edited by ricshaw; 11-18-2018 at 12:35 PM.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
      What do you mean by you put in the proper salt each day?

FYI: Maintaining salt in a Koi pond is very old school and not recommended by water quality experts now.
      I added .1 salt each day. I usually dont use salt unless I have a nitrite spike but since the fish jumped out and got injured so I thought the salt would help produce more slime coat to protect it from infection. The fish was in pretty bad shape when I found it. Soon as it heals up I'll do large water changes to get the salt out

is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

I added .1 salt each day.
      I still do not understand. Are you doing water changes each day? Or are you just adding salt every day?

I usually dont use salt unless I have a nitrite spike but since the fish jumped out and got injured so I thought the salt would help produce more slime coat to protect it from infection. The fish was in pretty bad shape when I found it. Soon as it heals up I'll do large water changes to get the salt out
      This is just one fish in a hospital tank?

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
      I still do not understand. Are you doing water changes each day? Or are you just adding salt every day?

This is just one fish in a hospital tank?
      I just got to .3 yesterday. Doing water changes every other day and going to add salt after water changes. The fish is in the garage with my other fish. It is showing some signs of infection on the left side. Was hard to get a pic with the net on.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

mjfromga is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wait. You had a Koi JUMP OUT of your pond and injure itself and you're using salt to help it heal from a wound caused by the jump that is now showing signs of infection. Is this correct? Lol I'm confused. I haven't heard of a fish jumping out of its actual pond.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
      Wait. You had a Koi JUMP OUT of your pond and injure itself and you're using salt to help it heal from a wound caused by the jump that is now showing signs of infection. Is this correct? Lol I'm confused. I haven't heard of a fish jumping out of its actual pond.
      I usually have a net over my tank but was setting up my filters and everything else and forgot to net it. The fish was basically dry when I found it. I ran and got a bucket of water and poured it over the fish and lifted off the cement. It was near lifeless at first but then began to swim. It recovered well but it just showing some bacterial signs on the left side. Salt and elbagin is what I have used in the past but I don't want to use elbagin if I dont need to. I have it on hand and can get injections if needed as well. I was told by my dealer to salt to .3.

I was at a koi show and 3 koi jumped out of different tanks..it is not that uncommon for koi to jump when they are stressed or irritated.

is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
      Not that uncommon... especially when introducing a Koi to a new pond.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

graybird is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Kevin, go ahead and use the Elbagin. Neither Elbagin nor injections are temperature-sensitive. I would also heat if you can.
      Mary

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by graybird View Post
      Kevin, go ahead and use the Elbagin. Neither Elbagin nor injections are temperature-sensitive. I would also heat if you can.
      Thanks mary. I made a new thread in the er also.

Got yellow water now. Water temp is 58.8 so in going to heat the pond. Elbagin is great with bacterial infections and i will make sure i don't see any ammonia spike as the biofilter did get setback some when I transferred to new pond
      Last edited by kevin32; 11-18-2018 at 07:23 PM.

is Comfortably Numb

Feeling:
      ----

I never thought about it delaying the cycling. Is the salt messing with the nitrification process?
      It’s not an issue with an established filter, but it is with a new filter. We’re using salt to ‘kill’ or at least inhibit bacteria on the fish and the nitrification process relies on the growth of bacteria. Salt doesn’t differentiate between good and bad so it can slow the process in a new filter that is still cycling. Speaking of which, neither does antibiotics and certain pond treatments. I’ve never used “Elbagin”. Does that have any impact on the filter? Or are you bypassing now?

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
      It’s not an issue with an established filter, but it is with a new filter. We’re using salt to ‘kill’ or at least inhibit bacteria on the fish and the nitrification process relies on the growth of bacteria. Salt doesn’t differentiate between good and bad so it can slow the process in a new filter that is still cycling. Speaking of which, neither does antibiotics and certain pond treatments. I’ve never used “Elbagin”. Does that have any impact on the filter? Or are you bypassing now?
      I've never had it impact my biofilter although some say it does. I have a pretty overkill shower filter. I did transfer my filter over and it was offline for awhile. I'll test my ammonia and nitrites and let you know if it did this time. 2 says ago i tested 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 10 nitrates on a new tank. I put it in the garage 9 days ago.

I checked and both are 0. So no impact on biofilter. I used to bypass when I did pp but had submerged media. I have a shower setup after a rdf so hard to bypass for 24 hours
      Last edited by kevin32; 11-19-2018 at 09:31 PM.

is Comfortably Numb

Feeling:
      ----

I've never had it impact my biofilter although some say it does. I have a pretty overkill shower filter. I did transfer my filter over and it was offline for awhile. I'll test my ammonia and nitrites and let you know if it did this time. 2 says ago i tested 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 10 nitrates on a new tank. I put it in the garage 9 days ago.

I checked and both are 0. So no impact on biofilter. I used to bypass when I did pp but had submerged media. I have a shower setup after a rdf so hard to bypass for 24 hours
      Glad to hear it hasn't been a problem for you! Have you purchased Elbagin here in the states? If so, do you have a link? I've only seen it on European sites.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
      Glad to hear it hasn't been a problem for you! Have you purchased Elbagin here in the states? If so, do you have a link? I've only seen it on European sites.
      I got mine from Billy at cascade ponds. I can share the link when I get home. Not sure how to do on cell phone.

is Comfortably Numb

Feeling:
      ----

I got mine from Billy at cascade ponds. I can share the link when I get home. Not sure how to do on cell phone.
      No worries. I've purchased from Bill before. Nice guy, very helpful! Thanks Kevin. Good luck with your fish and Happy Thanksgiving!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007