• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: help me decide what to breed

Tlandrum is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

help me decide what to breed

ive been growing out koi but have decided to try and breed my own fry this spring. i have several nice parent koi that i can choose from but am not set on any of them. i am also looking into getting other types and sell what i have. my new mud pond is almost filled and will be ready for fish to grow out in. i have a few different ponds ranging from 1500 to 2500 gal that i can keep types of parents separated in instead of having them all in one pond. i have read till my eyes hurt trying to find out what crosses work well and what doesnt and still cant get a real solid answer. ill list the particular types im interested in and would like help in deciding what crosses work and what dont.any and all help appreciated.

showa
      sanke
      shiro utsuri
      yamabuki
      chagoi
      kohaku
      soragoi

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Based on my experience of working with koi I would recommend you start with the easier ones, Yamabuki or soragoi, Shiro Utsuri your deformities Wil be astronomical there fore making your culling easier, that's all I can give you for now

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Sounds like quite a set-up you have with multiple ponds and breeding options.

Showa go well with shiro utsuri (and/or hi utsuri).
      Sanke with kohaku.
      Chagoi with soragoi (and/or ochiba).

Since yamabuki are metallic, they would probably be better combined with other metallic than those listed above. Some put showa with kohaku or sanke, though I am not sure how well that typically goes.

Roger is offline Senior Member
      is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

The varieties should be bred with the same variety, unless you want to add certain qualities to the blood line. Also, pairing brother and sister is similar to humans, it will produce a lot of freaks, so in this case with out an option its better to use a close relative. Kohaku, Sanke, Showa and Shiro Utsuri can be paired together, but I feel Kohaku should be paired with Kohaku from a different spawn because we don't want any black showing up. I recently did a Kohaku and Showa cross and kept some Kohaku. I culled the Kohaku with any under lining black. I am hoping to get the bright white from the showa onto a Kohaku. This spawn was unusual, first off only a few hundred hatched, and what surprised me was there were no deformities?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i have decided to get breeding quality kohaku,showa,yamabuki,and chagoi. i am going to keep them in a 5000 gal veiwing tank til time to spawn. then ill move them into breeding pools when its time to spawn. after fry hatching and a couple of cullings,then move them on into the mud pond for growing. ill need to cull again as they grow. i plan to just give away the ones that are not turning out as i hoped when they reach 3 to 4'' that way im only putting time and growth food into the better prospects.

Roger is offline Senior Member
      is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

Some Japanese breeders use the cull as feed for the remaining koi. I think they boil and smash it, not sure. I get tired after culling just one good spawn, it kind of stresses me out. I hope you find it enjoyable. Have fun, and keep us posted, we like pictures with eye candy.

I often times visit the Kodama auction site and it seems Karashi seem to always sell out. There isn't enough cheap ones to go around. I think people are attracted to the large size, so perhaps Chagoi is another good choice. Also, I visit my local salt and tropical fish store quite often and I notice the platinum baby koi in the large aquarium display sells before the others in the tank. I guess, it must look like money.

As for me, I was looking for a cheap karashi or Chagoi to grow extremely big for a fun pet. However, a full spawn of jumbo koi may become quite expensive to up keep, unless you can find an outlet to sell them. I suggest selling it on Ebay...................

Local grown quality blood line Kohaku at affordable prices maybe attractive to some koi hobbyist.

Marudo Kohaku has been winning a lot of Japanese koi shows lately and Sakai Kohaku are hot.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGY2k39pebo
      Last edited by Roger; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:25 PM.

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Tlandrum View Post
      i have decided to get breeding quality kohaku,showa,yamabuki,and chagoi. i am going to keep them in a 5000 gal veiwing tank til time to spawn. then ill move them into breeding pools when its time to spawn. after fry hatching and a couple of cullings,then move them on into the mud pond for growing. ill need to cull again as they grow. i plan to just give away the ones that are not turning out as i hoped when they reach 3 to 4'' that way im only putting time and growth food into the better prospects.
      I just saw your thread on your new mud pond at http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...0-gal-mud-pond. I've never had a mud pond, but it looks like a cool project, especially for ramping up the growth. The surrounding woods are beautiful too.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

thank you