• Tired

Thread: Why is my butterfly koi sick/distressed

Mori is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Why is my butterfly koi sick/distressed

Hi there,

Upon moving house, I inherited koi fish - never had any fish before. My white butterfly koi appears to be stressed or sick (according to google / koi shop).

Details:

- White koi and within 2 days, his tail fin turned purple and he continues to isolate himself from the other fish in a quiet spot in the pond and lay on the bottom. After resting, joins the other fish and then back to resting spot.
      - Pond is 8sqm
      - Found out that the fish were being fed 3 times a week by the Real Estate Agent
      Name:  Butterflykoi.6.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  152.3 KB
      Name:  Butterflykoi.4.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  70.4 KB

What changed:
      - 3 weeks ago, on inheriting the fish, I started feeding the fish twice per day
      - Water in pond was low so I added approximately 3 inches of water about 4 days ago
      - Using testing kit, all levels within the range on kit
      - 2 smaller koi introduced to the pond

Acting on advice from Koi shop:
      - Added water treatment to reduce ammonia levels in the pool
      - Water re-tested to normal range
      - Stopped feeding the Koi for a couple of days
      - Add treatment for bacteria

What I have noticed:
      - the tail has lightened a little (more red/pink than purple).
      - He is still isolating himself every ten mins or so in a quiet spot before joining the rest of the fish. Looks very sick & often I think he might be dead.
      - Still appears to want food (when he is swimming, comes to where I am waiting for food)
      - He has a white bump on his tail fin
      Name:  Butterflykoi.2.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  176.7 KB

Shop advice
      - add water treatment to remove ammonia
      - add treatment to remove bacteria

I really appreciate your advice.

Cheers

Liz

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Butterfly koi often are the first fish that show signs of stress, illness, parasites, poor water quality, extreme cold or temperature swings. This usually is seen in their fins by pink color or pink streaking. Parasites can appear more obvious on their fins.

This fish appears to have parasites. I also see signs on the other two fish in the third picture.

When I enlarged the third picture, it looks like anchor worms on the lower part of the butterfly koi's tail. Anchor worms cause pimple like spots before the anchor worms appear. It is a good chance the parasite came with the new fish.

Anchor worms are treated with dimilin or products specific for anchor worms.

Hopefully some one else will soon give you a second opinion and course of action.
      Last edited by koi4u2c; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:40 PM.
      Nancy

ademink is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is looking at revamping
      filtration...yet again.

Feeling:
      ----

Would you please provide the actual numbers for:
      Ammonia
      Nitrite
      pH
      KH

What are you adding to remove ammonia?
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you Nancy - really appreciate your quick response. I am gathering resources so I can be a responsible Koi owner.

We purchased the two new yellow koi from a local farm and would have thought they would be parasite free

I am heading to the Pond shop armed with your email /photos to get Dimilin (or similar) / further advice.

After retesting the water again (new testing kit), chlorine was high so purchased water treatment to reduce. I will take a photo of the readings to post.

Regards

Liz

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Nancy & hello from Perth, Western Australia!

The two new koi were purchased from a local koi farm so assumed they would be parasite free

I am heading to the pond shop armed with your email / photos to get Dimilin / advice to fix the anchor worm or parasites.

Also, we tested the water with a new testing kit and the cl2 mg was high (from us topping up the pond). The readings are in the photo below (black arrow were the readings before the top up). After the top up, cl2 mg rose to 3 but we added the water treatment in the photo and readings have come back. We also added the bacteria treatment.

I noticed the butterfly koi's tail has lightened more today, almost like a bruise gone from deep purple to reddish/pink, patchy, with some white back in the tail fin - hoping that is a good sign
      Name:  Pond readings.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  75.5 KB
      Name:  Water treatment.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  70.9 KB
      Name:  Bacteria control.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  78.9 KB

Regards

Liz

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Andrea & thank you for your response,

See photos to ensure I am reading correctly:

Nitrate 0
      PH 7.6
      KH 10
      Ammonia (is that Cl?) that was reading v high after topping the pond up. It rose to 3.0 but is now at 0.8 after adding water treatment
      Name:  Pond readings.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  75.5 KB

The black arrows were the range prior to topping the pool up. All that is out of range at the moment is the Cl at 0.8. Hoping that water treatment added again this morning will drop to 0.

Regards

Liz

graybird is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Liz, if you can, you should purchase API drop test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and KH. I'm afraid the dip sticks are notoriously unreliable. You will want to be cleaning your filters and replacing at least 10% of your pond water weekly, adding dechlorinator in with the replacement water. If you do that, you shouldn't have a chlorine reading. How deep is the pond, and how deep is the gravel layer on the bottom? Is there a bottom drain? How many fish, large or small?

I agree with Andrea, it looks like anchor worm, and fortunately, Dimilin takes care of that rapidly. Can you post a picture of the ingredient list on the bacterial control? Sometimes things that are aimed at "bad" bacteria will kill the "good" bacteria in your filters, which you need for processing the ammonia in the fish waste.

Welcome to Koiphen and the wonderful world of Koi keeping!
      Mary