• Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help I need to build a 20' bridge

tom66 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

--------------
      I think we are having a bit of a communication breakdown. You don't put joists on top of joists. You put joists on top of beams and there is no such thing as a vertical joist. That would be a stud like in a wall.

You can have a cross beam with joists parallel to the wall on top of that, but that is going to be a lot thicker looking than just cantilevering the joists off the wall.

Also, you said you wanted a light looking structure and now you want to be able to load one side with three people (about 500- 600#). Those are contradictory desires.

When you say you have rebar buried in the foundation every 48", what do you mean by that? What do those ties look like and how thick? What does the foundation look like?
      --------------
      Thank you, as you can see I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to carpentry terms (and carpentry ) I see now that cross beams are not called joists, and when I mistakenly wrote "vertical" I meant to refer to those 20' joists parallel to the wall. So, ... the part I don't understand of your plan is this: if you would put several cross beams, all along the wall length, and where/how would you put the two 20' joists in relationship to the cross beams? and where the deck boards? perhaps you are thinking of having deck boards lengthwise, which is something I've seen in some pictures, but I was assuming those 1 5/8 x 6" were going perpendicular to the length.

You also seem to be saying that the structure wouldn't be so sound ... ie it may not hold 3 people leaning on the same side. That's what I was afraid of. I guess I could build another tiny wall identical to the one there, just a few inches towards the big pond, and use these two walls as support, but I'd have to drill holes in the footings and glue rebar a few inches deep, right? to make this second wall solid and attached to the ground. The collar (concrete slab that surrounds the pond under construction is probably 6" deep, and in that spot, 2-3' wide). But I'd have to go and check how much rebar I put in the tiny wall at the time, I forget how deep it goes , but it must be every 4 feet ... I now wish I put more of it. The bridge is in my backyard, and it will be in between these two ponds. Both are recreational ponds, our family can swim ... I don't need to build this structure to be solid to hold elephants; I'd like to build it so that it won't fail if 3-5 people are standing on it, yet, even if it cracked, no people would lose their life, at worst they'll get wet.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
      Tom
      PS. English is my second language, so please excuse the mistakes.
      Last edited by tom66; 4 Days Ago at 11:03 AM.

tom66 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

delbert: do you think that your 2x6 bridge would span 20'? considering that in my case the middle joist would rest on a 14' long cement wall ... do you think that your bridge (without railing) would work?
      Last edited by tom66; 4 Days Ago at 11:07 AM.

delbert is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by tom66 View Post
      delbert: do you think that your 2x6 bridge would span 20'? considering that in my case the middle joist would rest on a 14' long cement wall ... do you think that your bridge (without railing) would work?

Yes
      I went out and looked at mine . I got 3 2x6 runners all boxed together every 4 ft
      If you could lock down the ends and add one or two middle support cross braces for the span you would be good

Donít go small on the size . make a wide walkway it will end up your favorite spot
      I have a lift out panel for the skimmer that you donít even notice.

Rails make it look more like a bridge and are nice to lean on

nil13 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you want to have your 2x6 joists running parallel to the wall, you'll need 2 4x6 beams spaced evenly along the wall so that the span of the joists is no more than 7'.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12