• Tired

Thread: New Pond - New issue

headman is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

New Pond - New issue

Hello everyone,

We built a 4700 gallon pond and I noticed the other day that some dirt has pushed out the liner on a few walls and caused a few bulges ... some was easy to push in with my hand but in another area itís a little firmer. Is this normal and what can I do to prevent this. We donít have pavers down yet so itís just dirt around the pond.

Thank you
      Attached Images Attached Images   

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Do u have pictures of the buldge and where is it located at?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It’s hard to get a photo of it since the sun doesn’t shine directly on it ... I’ll have to check tomorrow morning to see if it’s easier to see. They are on the walls .. towards the top

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If youíre OCD like me lift up the pond liner and smooth the dirt out. I need to buy one of those sun shade for my pond where did u order yours from?

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Do you have a concrete collar with dirt walls below it?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes ... I made a cement border/top about 8 inches wide by 8 deep.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I bought it off of Amazon ... 16 x 16 for about 90 dollars I believe

pickerel is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Cool

Sorry for your problems. Would you mind drawing us a picture of how steep your walls are? I'm about to pour my collar and I'm wondering how much angle I should have on the dirt underneath to prevent this from happening.

EDIT: I just looked at your old thread about folding your liner, and it looks like your walls are almost vertical.
      Last edited by pickerel; 1 Week Ago at 08:49 PM.

Paultergeist is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The one suggestion I would make is to hold off on installing the pavers for a bit, as this will give you some time to observe how the pond walls are going to behave before committing to even more landscaping efforts. The behavior of sheer vertical earthen walls can vary quite a bit depending upon soil type and rainfall; some people have been successful with simply the concrete collar, while others have had the earth collapse inward from behind the liner. Given the sandy soil and high rainfall of Florida, I would be a little concerned. I would also expect the area of the inside corner (inner part of the ďLĒ) to be the spot most vulnerable to collapse.

You may also want to do some searching on this forum for previous threads involving water / soil pressing inward from behind the liner ó this can give you some insights as to causes and eventual remedies if things do get worse.

pickerel is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Cool

This thread has pictures of problems from dirt collapsing under concrete collars:
      http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ictures-please!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
      The one suggestion I would make is to hold off on installing the pavers for a bit, as this will give you some time to observe how the pond walls are going to behave before committing to even more landscaping efforts. The behavior of sheer vertical earthen walls can vary quite a bit depending upon soil type and rainfall; some people have been successful with simply the concrete collar, while others have had the earth collapse inward from behind the liner. Given the sandy soil and high rainfall of Florida, I would be a little concerned. I would also expect the area of the inside corner (inner part of the “L”) to be the spot most vulnerable to collapse.

You may also want to do some searching on this forum for previous threads involving water / soil pressing inward from behind the liner — this can give you some insights as to causes and eventual remedies if things do get worse.

The bulges have been next to the skimmer where there is a a weaker spot because of the skimmer and the other was on one side of the “L” and that pushed back in. It has exposed for the last 5 months (no pavers or grass around the pond) so wouldn’t it be best to get some down to help water run off instead of it soaking in around the entire pond? The bulge by the skimmer was from some extra dirt sneaking in next to the skimmer (cement ring stops a few inches from the skimmer) My walls are pretty vertical for the first 2 feet and the bowl down. Thank you for the information

BWG is online now Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

Yes - Sounds like water in the dirt outside of the pond and hydrostatic pressures at work. Easily corrected with drainage around the outside of the perimeter. The deeper the better if you have a drain for tile installation. This will relieve the outside pressure and allow the inside pressure hold the dirt walls. Do not drain any water near the pond and grade the yard to slope away from the pond.

Make sure no leaks around skimmer also.
      Last edited by BWG; 3 Days Ago at 10:59 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I need to do something with the weak spots next to the skimmer. The only thing holding the dirt back is the water, underlayment and the liner. I also thought about the pool type of drainage around it or a French drain. Iím guessing the French drain would work best but I guess I could do both We want a clean edging/coping stone. I even thought about using composite decking. I never really thought about possibly issues with heavy coping stones but I guess that could possibly be an issue. You can see in the bottom photo at the top right area you can see the composite decking we bought to see how it would look. I like it but itís thin.. I wanted something a little thinker... but it does look good.