• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: plumbing question for multicyclone filter

stevek is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

plumbing question for multicyclone filter

I've been using a Multicyclone on top of my pump for a number of years now. It captures a lot of silt that makes it through the Zakki sieve, but I know several folks have eliminated theirs and gotten more pump flow as a result of the head reduction. I would like to do an experiment next week as I shut my system down for the winter. Before I totally dismantle my pump/ multicyclone in preparation for bringing it inside for the winter, I would like to run the pump without the multicyclone to see how much extra flow I might get.

Here's my question... the multicyclone is plumbed with a 2 inch half union at either end . The half union nuts are threaded on to a male thread at each end on the multicyclone. When I uncouple the fittings to remove the multicyclone unit, I will still have the tightening nut portion of the half union at either end , which is glued into my 2 inch piping. What I would like to do is to just temporarily connect a piece of straight 2 inch pipe so that I can run the pump.

I was hoping I could just use a couple of 2 inch ferncos to attach a piece of pipe, but I don't know if a 2 inch fernco will fit over the flange end of the half union that is remaining. I believe the half union fittings have a small flange that the nut tightens down on to create a water tight seal . If the fernco idea doesn't work , I don't know what other approach might work.

I don't want to cut off the half unions as they are glued in, and I may end up keeping the multicyclone if I don't see a significant increase in pump flow. I did pick up a couple of 2 inch PVC
      couplings with a 2 inch male thread at one end, and a 2 inch slip at the other, but I'm not sure if the half unions will thread on to these . If they do, I could attach the ferncos to the other end and accomplish what I need to do.

Anyone have any ideas that might work if my first 2 ideas don't work ?

a very short se

Grumpy is online now Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn

Feeling:
      Happy

I think you can use a 3" to 2" fernco will fit the half union over the threads. I don't know about leaks, you may need to temp fill the threads with some plumbers caulk under the rubber coupling.

Name:  20181108_083011.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  221.2 KB

Name:  20181108_082959.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  233.9 KB

Grumpy is online now Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn

Feeling:
      Happy

This is the product I was thinking of sealing the threads with. Non-hardening, soft set, slow drying. I believe you can remove the fernco and remove this material from the threads. I haven't tried to use it like this, so I would do a test on some scrap threaded PVC and see if you can remove it cleanly from the threads after an hour under a rubber coupling.

Name:  20181108_085020.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  114.3 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Grumpy- thanks for the pics. The half unions that come with the multicyclone are built a little different than your pictures of a normal pvc union. On the multicyclone, I believe the o ring is part of the section that has the tightening nut , since the other side is just the threaded ends of the multicyclone filter. I'm not sure if the fittings are ABS , since they are black, but they are the standard fittings that came with the unit when purchased.
      I think 3 inch for a fernco will be too big to fit on the half union section that contains the tightening nut.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Update....Well, I shut down the pond just before the winter storm last night, and as I expected, nothing I had would connect to the remaining half unions of the Waterco Multicyclone . Fernco's, either 2 or 3 inch , wouldn't fit, and 2 inch threaded pvc fittings don't match the threads on the ABS half union locking nut.

I gave up, and took everything inside for winter storage. Being stubborn, however, I spent a bunch of time today looking online for a fitting that would thread into the half unions. No luck . The half unions are easy to find, but the other ends are impossible. I guess this is because the half unions typically thread directly onto the pump or multicyclone threads , and are not used with a separate fitting.

As a last resort, I called Waterco directly, and spoke to one of their technical folks. Turns out he knew exactly what I was talking about, and had just set up a part number for a " multicyclone bypass " . This consists of a set of fittings that are slip on one end, and threaded on the other, and fit the multicyclone half unions. This will allow a multicyclone filter to be easily unscrewed, and removed and replaced with a straight pipe. This avoids having to cut out the glued half unions .

I've ordered them, but will wait until spring now to install.

The new part number is MC 1600BP . This would not be on any website's parts list , but can be ordered through a factory distributor . If anyone needs this info, PM me and I will give you the telephone number and contact person.