Thread: Pozzani Filters

SuffolkSi is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Pozzani Filters

Hi
      First post on the forum!
      I'm planning on setting up a continuous flush on a new system I'm planning and wondered if anyone had any experience of the Pozanni tapwater filters? I'm looking to use a carbon filter and nitrate filter cartridge. They seem popular with the aquarium market and are available in 10" and 20" versions.

Thanks

DragonFireSG is offline Senior Member
      is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

How much water do you expect to run through the system a month? Cartridge type filters generally have limited capacity when used continuously.
      If you are continuous flushing a pond, you will probably want to consider getting a catalytic carbon tank type upflow filter with a 10" or 20" particulate filter on the output side.
      Why do you need a nitrate cart btw? Are you detecting elevated nitrates in your source water?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for getting back to me.
      This will be a small experimental growing on/quarantine system and I would like to run the continuous flush at around 0.2 l/min. I don't think I need the nitrate filter for the fish's health point of view but I would like to test whether it helps the fishes colours. Nitrate level in my supply are pretty good, 5mg/l. The flush rate is high by most peoples standards but the feed rate and stocking density will also be high.

lukef is offline king of the lilliputians
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

you're better off going to an aquaculture forum..not even a tropical fish forum will help you correctly if you are going with high density and feeding....
      Now here is my 2 cents.... Screw the piece of crap filter that you are considering..if your source water is adequate just ramp it up...more equipment means more to break..and get wrong...try my way first..if it doesn't work then look for a solution.
      "Those aren't poodles. They're Dobermans with afros."

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The source is far from adequate from a chlorine point of view, up tp 0.6mg/l free chlorine. Nothing much to break on a cartridge filter. Just wondered what people used as a tap water purifier if anything.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i had no idea you were playing with chlora-whatevers. You might want to reconsider what you are doing...or seriously go find someone that has done EXACTLY what you plan to do... if someone isn't doing it, then it is not worth it.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

we mainly throw dechlor in and let it go.... it'd get **** expensive to have a flow through using government water

KoiMike is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I recently purchased the USA version https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-r...s-monster.html
      I will complete my pond in the next two months (6,000 gallons), then I will give it a try for three months as a daily drip to replace evaporation. No clue if money well spent, or wasted.

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

I'm using this beast on my pond. Two of em in series, one installed 18 months after the first.

http://store.afwfilters.com/catalyti...upflow-system/

Each contains 3cf of catalytic carbon, and is easily good for 1,000,000 to 2,000,000 gallons at 1ppm chloramine.

The series installation is designed so the newer cylinder polishes whatever trace chlorine manages to leak through the first.

When sample tests from between the cylinders show that too much chlorine is leaking through, the media in the older cylinder will be replaced (costs about $400) and will be swapped in positioned with the other cylinder.

That way the freshest carbon is always between the city supply and the pond.

This system does rely on the user sampling the chlorine leak-through on a regular basis. The media being granular is a lot harder to replace vs a cartridge, but is far more cost effective.

The only thing more cost effective is pure sodium thiosulphate from a lab supply shop.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I can see using an RO unit to replace evaporation should work fine but I'm hoping to do more than that and do a continuous flush. Also an RO unit would not replace any buffering capacity lost via the biofilter..... and be too expensive
      If 3cf is easily good for 1-2m gallons I shouldn't have to test its effectiveness too often! But that is a good point - I expect the life of a much smaller cartridge filter wouldn't be anywhere near as long and so I would need to think about how I would know when it failed. Hopefully I can get to the stage when I can rely on the life of the cartridge and replace it on a regular basis. These are considerably cheaper and easier to do. I'm waiting to hear back from the manufacturer as to how long they expect it would work. I can then test initially to see if they're right. That's why I'm keen to find out how others have managed.
      DragonFireSG - How long does your carbon last before replacing? - is it anywhere near the 1-2m gallon figure?

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Pond is coming up on its 3rd year now. The tanks process the water used to flush my RDF and top up the pond. No issues with chlorine so far.

I'm due for a chlorine test. Need to pick up fresh reagents. The beauty of the old-new series setup is that it is very tolerant of poor discipline :P

The headache I have is actually the disposal of the spent carbon. I am not sure how best to get it out of the cylinder. The whole thing must weight 250lb or more.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks again DragonFireSG. Good to know your still within limits. You're right it is a bit of a beast but better to be safe than sorry.
      I heard back from the manufacturer and they reckon the 20" is good for 60,000 litres. By my calculations if I changed the cartridge once a year this would allow a 10% weekly change for an 11000 litre system or a 20% change for a 5,500litre system. I would be happy with that. At 50 for the housing plus 50 for each cartridge that sounds OK to me
      They couldn't give me a figure for the nitrate cartridge but this is less critical. Would still be interested in doing some trials though on reducing the nitrate in the main pond.