• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 21 to 37 of 37

    Thread: measuring how much water is moved by an airlift?

    1. #21
      lukef's Avatar
      lukef is offline king of the lilliputians
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2006
      Location
      florida
      Posts
      4,219
      If that is the case then the only way to do it would be to start with both pipes at the same height, and filled to the top.

      then to find the sweet spot we would have to have the injection port on a piece of pipe and lower it to the various depths. And before doing so we would have to refill the apparatus
      "Those aren't poodles. They're Dobermans with afros."

    2. #22
      BWG is online now Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1
       
      Feeling:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Mar 2013
      Location
      ZONE 5
      Posts
      3,317
      For any bubbles to appear in pipe B air pipe A will be void of water.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

    3. #23
      Zac Penn's Avatar
      Zac Penn is online now Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Jacksonville, Fl
      Posts
      4,935
      Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
      For any bubbles to appear in pipe B air pipe A will be void of water.
      You are missing the third pipe.
      Pipe A in your drawing is NOT the air pipe. It is just a clear tube filled with water.
      Pipe B is the airlift riser tube that has a cap at the bottom and Pipe A TEEs into the bottom of Pipe B.
      Pipe C is the air pipe that injects air into Pipe B to create the air/water mixture.

      Luke I really don't know what will happen exactly with different sized pipes with regards to how much the water levels will change. However, I believe that Pipe B would be higher than Pipe A, and that Pipe A will be at a lower level than it was before the air was injected because some of that water would enter Pipe B.
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com


    4. #24
      lukef's Avatar
      lukef is offline king of the lilliputians
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2006
      Location
      florida
      Posts
      4,219
      LOL...I'll bet they stay the same, and therefore I have not found an easy way to determine the comparative efficiency...well i have...by putting the air diffuser on a pipe and having both pipes full of water to the top and then turning on the air and see how much water is blown out the top of the airlift. You'd only have to turn off the air, lower the pipe to the new trial depth, and refill the two pipes and then turn the air back on for each depth....
      yeah that would work...
      we were wrong about it pulling water from the small pipe unless the water in the airlift pipe actually goes somewhere. The water pressure in bot pipe would remain the same...ahhhh? I think?
      "Those aren't poodles. They're Dobermans with afros."

    5. #25
      Zac Penn's Avatar
      Zac Penn is online now Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Jacksonville, Fl
      Posts
      4,935
      Quote Originally Posted by lukef View Post
      LOL...I'll bet they stay the same, and therefore I have not found an easy way to determine the comparative efficiency...well i have...by putting the air diffuser on a pipe and having both pipes full of water to the top and then turning on the air and see how much water is blown out the top of the airlift. You'd only have to turn off the air, lower the pipe to the new trial depth, and refill the two pipes and then turn the air back on for each depth....
      yeah that would work...
      we were wrong about it pulling water from the small pipe unless the water in the airlift pipe actually goes somewhere. The water pressure in bot pipe would remain the same...ahhhh? I think?

      Based on the statement in red...
      You would need to install a ball valve between the small reservoir pipe and the large airlift pipe, and close the ball valve after the large pipe stops blowing water out the top. Then you can stop the air and see how low the water level is in the large pipe compared to the trapped water in the small pipe.

      Based on the statement in blue...
      For all I know you may be correct. At first the water in the small pipe will try to enter the large pipe and push the air/water mixture out of the pipe, but since it can't go anywhere the pressures would equalize and bring the water level in the small pipe back to the starting point. Or maybe not??? HAHAHAHA You seem to have some free time available, so build a test rig and let us know what happens
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com


    6. #26
      BWG is online now Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1
       
      Feeling:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Mar 2013
      Location
      ZONE 5
      Posts
      3,317
      My guess the air diffuser creates a pressure point that exerts in all directions. The water in A raises slightly and the the air/water mix in B goes higher because the rising bubbles are displacing water.

      Second prediction is the apparatus is of little value for testing airlifts. A test loop with resistance to simulate filtration would be more useful. Resistance that would force 3 to 4 inches differential between the water in and out of the airlift. Flow measuring on the water return.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by BWG; 6 Days Ago at 03:13 PM.

    7. #27
      Zac Penn's Avatar
      Zac Penn is online now Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Jacksonville, Fl
      Posts
      4,935
      I am so ashamed for actually doing it ....


      Oh I forgot to insert the pictures of the test rig...
      Name:  20181107_091533.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  49.3 KBName:  20181107_091559.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  54.6 KBName:  20181107_091658.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  28.1 KBName:  20181107_091713.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  30.5 KB
      Last edited by Zac Penn; 5 Days Ago at 01:18 PM.
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com


    8. #28
      Zac Penn's Avatar
      Zac Penn is online now Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Jacksonville, Fl
      Posts
      4,935
      Just to clarify my above comment about being ashamed...
      The test did exactly what i expected to, so I am ashamed for doubting myself
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com


    9. #29
      Paultergeist is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2009
      Location
      San Diego, California
      Posts
      2,421
      Zac,

      It is easy to speculate, but it is another thing entirely to actually expend energy to test out an idea or prove a concept (as you have done here). You have nothing to be ashamed of. Thank you for going to the effort of demonstrating this effect for the benefit of those of us involved in this discussion.

      Paul

    10. #30
      stevek's Avatar
      stevek is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      Location
      wakefield, RI
      Posts
      960
      I have no idea what the hell you guys are talking about when it comes to these airlift discussions, but I totally agree that it is a great idea to experiment with different theories . You never know unless you try...

    11. #31
      lukef's Avatar
      lukef is offline king of the lilliputians
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2006
      Location
      florida
      Posts
      4,219
      well ****..OK OK OK? Now zac do this....will ya huh huh huh...... filll the airlift tube to the top. have the airstone submerged right below the surface, the clear tube will be just as full. Now turn on the air.... and see how much water is forced out the top, wait till the water level levels off drop it a couple of inches wait...drop it again...wait..drop it wait.....
      It will give you an idea about the force generated by the air in the lift tube.... at some point the water will quit lowering in the clear tube..that would be the sweet spot...sorta. maybe..no wait? what?
      "Those aren't poodles. They're Dobermans with afros."

    12. #32
      lukef's Avatar
      lukef is offline king of the lilliputians
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2006
      Location
      florida
      Posts
      4,219
      and thanks
      "Those aren't poodles. They're Dobermans with afros."

    13. #33
      Zac Penn's Avatar
      Zac Penn is online now Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Jacksonville, Fl
      Posts
      4,935
      Quote Originally Posted by lukef View Post
      well ****..OK OK OK? Now zac do this....will ya huh huh huh...... filll the airlift tube to the top. have the airstone submerged right below the surface, the clear tube will be just as full. Now turn on the air.... and see how much water is forced out the top, wait till the water level levels off drop it a couple of inches wait...drop it again...wait..drop it wait.....
      It will give you an idea about the force generated by the air in the lift tube.... at some point the water will quit lowering in the clear tube..that would be the sweet spot...sorta. maybe..no wait? what?

      That is very easy to do so I will play with it tomorrow. My guess is that the water in the clear tube will remain all the way at the top during this entire test, until the air flow is stopped. Then the water level in the riser tube will drop as well as the water level in the clear tube.

      Now comes the fun part...
      If I turned the air back on again without doing anything else the water level in the clear tube would remain the same, and the air/water mixture would rise BUT it would not go all the way to the top like it was before. The submergence will be different because the water level in the clear tube would have dropped.

      At the beginning we had (pulling a number out of thin air) 36" of submergence in the clear tube, then when we turned off the air the water in the clear tube dropped to 30". Now we only have 30" submergence so the lifting capability of the airlift has been reduced for the second test.

      Your test procedure would yield the same results as if I filled the riser tube to the top, dropped the air diffuser to the bottom and then turned on the air. When I turned off the air the water in the clear tube would end up being the same height as if I slowly dropped the air diffuser to the bottom and then turned off the air.
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com


    14. #34
      BWG is online now Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1
       
      Feeling:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Mar 2013
      Location
      ZONE 5
      Posts
      3,317
      The density of the water in B will change with air bubbles but the total weight of the air/water mix will not change (unless you have a way of weighing air). The level in A will only change from the pressure created from the air stone since the weight of the water mix in B remained constant. Looks like from the video the change in A was very slightly positive. Without water flow through the riser difficult to see value with the apparatus.
      Last edited by BWG; 4 Days Ago at 08:51 PM.

    15. #35
      Zac Penn's Avatar
      Zac Penn is online now Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Jacksonville, Fl
      Posts
      4,935
      Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
      The density of the water in B will change with air bubbles but the total weight of the air/water mix will not change (unless you have a way of weighing air). The level in A will only change from the pressure created from the air stone since the weight of the water mix in B remained constant. Looks like from the video the change in A was very slightly positive. Without water flow through the riser difficult to see value with the apparatus.
      I agree, not much value to this test that i can see so far. One thing that I need to point out with the video is that when i made the black marks on the tube and pipe, the test rig was empty. I then filled it with water and ran a test before shooting the video. After the initial test the water levels were slightly higher than the black marks because the air tubing and air diffuser had displaced water back into the pipe instead of being filled with water. That is what raised the water level above the mark.
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com


    16. #36
      BWG is online now Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1
       
      Feeling:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Mar 2013
      Location
      ZONE 5
      Posts
      3,317
      I think your old airlift setup would be better. Put a restriction on the measured return to produce 3 to 4 inches differential to simulate filtration resistance.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

    17. #37
      Zac Penn's Avatar
      Zac Penn is online now Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Jacksonville, Fl
      Posts
      4,935
      Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      That is very easy to do so I will play with it tomorrow. My guess is that the water in the clear tube will remain all the way at the top during this entire test, until the air flow is stopped. Then the water level in the riser tube will drop as well as the water level in the clear tube.

      Now comes the fun part...
      If I turned the air back on again without doing anything else the water level in the clear tube would remain the same, and the air/water mixture would rise BUT it would not go all the way to the top like it was before. The submergence will be different because the water level in the clear tube would have dropped.

      At the beginning we had (pulling a number out of thin air) 36" of submergence in the clear tube, then when we turned off the air the water in the clear tube dropped to 30". Now we only have 30" submergence so the lifting capability of the airlift has been reduced for the second test.

      Your test procedure would yield the same results as if I filled the riser tube to the top, dropped the air diffuser to the bottom and then turned on the air. When I turned off the air the water in the clear tube would end up being the same height as if I slowly dropped the air diffuser to the bottom and then turned off the air.

      UUUHHHHH, Can I go back and edit this so I am correct???

      I spent 5 minutes testing this idea and sure enough I have a big old foot in my mouth about the water level in the clear tube. However, I was correct about the statement in red.

      So here is what actually happened...
      Filled the riser tube to the top which also filled the clear tube to the same level.
      I turned on the air and slowly dropped the air stone into the riser tube.
      Water slowly overflowed the riser tube and the water level in the clear tube started to drop as water overflowed the riser tube
      (duh...That makes sense now because the clear tube is measuring the pressure of the water BELOW the air stone + the air water mixture above the air stone)
      I lowered the air stone to the black mark on the air tubing and the water level in the clear tube settled, and the air/water mixture remained at the very top of the riser tube.

      The final water level of the clear tube was about 1.25" higher than the test run, I made a video of yesterday, because the air/water mixture was higher than it was in that test. I marked that level on the clear tube, turned off the air pump and then filled the test rig back up to the top

      I then turned the air pump back on, stepped back a few feet to keep dry, and then observed the new black mark on the clear tube. The riser tube overflowed until the mixture was settled at the top of the riser tube and the water level in the clear tube was at the same level as it was in the first test 5 minutes before.

      So, I was wrong first but then redeemed myself by being correct on the second test.

      Conclusion...
      This test yielded exactly the same data as the test the day before. It only showed us the maximum lift capable given a specific submergence, air supply, air injector and riser tube combination.
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com


    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •