• Tired

Thread: sm koi anal fin dieased?

newkoikeeper is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

sm koi anal fin dieased?

Hello,
      I am new to keeping Koi and to your forum. You seem quite knowledgeable, and I am hoping you can help me. I was raised on farm, and know a lot about animals (medications, vaccines, etc) but must admit I know very little about fish diseases (other than ich in aquariums). I am wintering my pond fish in a 250 gal water tank in the garage. I brought some of them in the house. I recently treated my pond and then again the water tank with Prazi (after much research). I lost a total of 5 koi to what looked most like "hole in the side". I had 2 blue gill in my pond and I blamed them for "eating" my fish, as that is what it most looked like to me. It continued to happen after I removed the bluegill, so I knew it was something else.

This small Koi is showing signs of something now. Hoping you can help me to figure it out, and hopefully I can medicate the whole tank and not "sedate" the fish etc, as that is way out there for me.

Thank you so much for your time,

Jamie
      p.s.
      The larger Koi, is diseased. This started in my "new" pond.
      Attached Images Attached Images   

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The fish with the larger sore has what are referred to as ulcers. The one with the fin problem has a bacterial infection, similar to the cause of the ulcers. The cause of ulcers and subsequent bacterial infections is generally parasites attacking the fish allowing bacteria into the wounds. Most of the parasites are microscopic, so without a microscope and a scrape of the mucus to look at under the microscope you would not see them. Two exceptions are anchor worm and fish lice, both visible and both requiring different treatment from the other parasites. For most parasites the preferred treatment would be Proform C, which is used to treat the entire pond. The treatment calls for a 25% water change followed by a designated amount of the Proform C, and this is repeated three times. For flukes, again microscopic, the treatment of choice is Prazi which can be added with the third treatment of Proform C, and then allowed to stay without water changes for a week, with a possible second dose depending on temperatures.

Looking a the bottom picture, I see a notch in the nose, which is a sign of "dehydration", where the parasites have sucked so much of the fluids from the fish that it is caving in on itself. Eyes are most likely sunken. A fish with ulcers this bad really needs to have antibiotics, preferably injections, though Tricide Neo would have a reasonable opportunity to help. The water quality really needs to be very good, with zero ammonia, zero nitrites, low nitrates, stable pH morning to evening, and minimal or no debris visible. The water quality issues cause stress to the fish that make them susceptible to the parasites and infections.

Proform C states that you should not treat with salt and Proform C at the same time, so if you haven't added salt yet, don't. If you find the fish with the scales sticking out, which is a sign that the kidneys cannot remove sufficient water, either do to kidney failure, or due to a lack of skin acting as a membrane between the pond and the fish allowing large amounts of water to enter the fish, then high levels of salt (0.8%) can be beneficial in reducing the osmotic pressure since the blood has a salinity of 0.9 and the water is trying to equalize the salinity of the pond with the salinity of the blood. Do not raise the salinity until the parasite treatments are complete.

If you will, post the results of ammonia test, nitrite test, nitrate test, pH, KH, and temperature so we will have more information to assist further.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard