• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: What is wrong with my fish?

z_zk_z is offline Member
      is Happy all the time...

Feeling:
      Awesome

What is wrong with my fish?

I uploaded a short video onto my OneDrive. The link to the video is shown below. My fish started to swim like that about four weeks ago, and I don't believe it eats anymore. It sits in one place hours at a time and it swims like that if I try to move it. I first thought, it was mating or something has stuck in its throat. I don't know what is going on. The rest of my fish look normal. Thanks in advance for any help...

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjTNOX5S83z7gVzwFWeNoO25by4K

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

DarkStar is offline Supporting Member
      is Comfortably Numb

Feeling:
      ----

Hi z_zk_z,
      I'm very sorry to hear that you're having difficulty. It's great that you were able to provide a video.
      I could be wrong, and others more learned than I will chime in, but it seems like a bacterial infection / swim bladder problem. To get the ball rolling until someone else comes in here, lets get some essential information, ok?

What is your water temperature?
      What are your water parameters (pH, KH, Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates) and what do you use to test your water? Drops Test? Test Strips?
      When was your last backwash and water exchange? At this point usually at least a 25% water exchange will be called for asap.
      What size is your pond (gallons) and what kind of filtration system do you have?
      Have you added any new fish lately?
      Do you have municipal water (chlorinated)?
      Have you applied any treatments to the pond recently?
      Try to hang in there.
      Last edited by DarkStar; 10-25-2018 at 03:53 AM. Reason: added content
      Find Something You Would Die For And Live for It.

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

If you have a QT, what about transferring the fish into the tank filled with its pond water and slowly building up a recognized salt

solution dosage to kill any parasites and see how it generally reacts to the treatment.

Carry out the procedure as per a recognized koi treatment for killing parasites.

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Salt is no longer an effective treatment for parasites as it's effects have been overcome by stronger more viralant strains of parasites and bacteria.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

game

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      Salt is no longer an effective treatment for parasites as it's effects have been overcome by stronger more viralant strains of parasites and bacteria.

I was suggesting the salt bath for its general condition as per the video rather than a potent medication.

Garfield

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

My feelings about the possible cause would be electrocution, either by pumps or other appliances leaking into the pond, or lightning, or it could be stroke. I don't think it has anything to do with parasites, swim bladder, bacterial or viral infections which can be fixed. The fish that I have seen that swim like that have a broken back, making the back non-responsive making the front do all the work, and the fact that it is swimming in a circle it is acting like one side is worse than the other. I don't like to recommend putting a fish down until all remedies have been put to the test, but the only thing that might help this fish is time, and I think it will work itself to death if given time. Sorry, but I think the best treatment for this fish is heavy sedation with clove oil and an hour or so , which will result in death.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      If you have a QT, what about transferring the fish into the tank filled with its pond water and slowly building up a recognized salt

solution dosage to kill any parasites and see how it generally reacts to the treatment.

Carry out the procedure as per a recognized koi treatment for killing parasites.

Garfield
      Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      I was suggesting the salt bath for its general condition as per the video rather than a potent medication.

Garfield
      Your original suggestion did NOT suggest a salt "bath" procedure but rather the use of qtank to slowly raise the salt level. A salt bath would be a much higher concentration of salt in a smaller vessel like a show bowl or such and the fish placed into the solution for no more than 20 minutes, or less if the fish is listing over.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

game

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      Your original suggestion did NOT suggest a salt "bath" procedure but rather the use of qtank to slowly raise the salt level. A salt bath would be a much higher concentration of salt in a smaller vessel like a show bowl or such and the fish placed into the solution for no more than 20 minutes, or less if the fish is listing over.

I did not mean a salt bath at all,that was a BIG mistake.

I meant swim it in a QTank adding the salt as per the recommended instruction and see how it fairs.

Garfield

No Buddy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

A bath can be a dip or a long term thing by definition and use. Normally in the aquaculture world of professionals a "dip" is used to describe a very short term thing...like seconds to minutes, and "bath" is used to describe langer term treatments up to indefinite time periods.
      Name:  Scan.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  151.6 KB
      Last edited by No Buddy; 11-02-2018 at 10:44 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes salt is not as effective as it once was.... However it is still WIDELY used by professionals whom prove its effectiveness every day in aquaculture, and that includes Koi. Salts effectiveness totally depends on the chemotherapy dose rate, duration of treatment, and the given pathogen or parasite and the degree of infestation of same, and it can also be true with certain variables and circumstances . While the above statement can be true for certain farms/countries, that have used EXCESSIVE or worse Low/inadequate dosing for generations it is by far NOT the normal consensus in the general Aquaculture or Koi Aquaculture world of professionals.
      Last edited by No Buddy; 11-02-2018 at 10:46 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      My feelings about the possible cause would be electrocution, either by pumps or other appliances leaking into the pond, or lightning, or it could be stroke. I don't think it has anything to do with parasites, swim bladder, bacterial or viral infections which can be fixed. The fish that I have seen that swim like that have a broken back, making the back non-responsive making the front do all the work, and the fact that it is swimming in a circle it is acting like one side is worse than the other. I don't like to recommend putting a fish down until all remedies have been put to the test, but the only thing that might help this fish is time, and I think it will work itself to death if given time. Sorry, but I think the best treatment for this fish is heavy sedation with clove oil and an hour or so , which will result in death.
      For the most part I agree with Rich and would add physical injury like getting whacked in the head ort back by a net or other similar types of blunt force trauma. There are parasites that can cause this as well as brain tumors and other neurological disorders.

ademink is offline Senior Member~~Moderator
      is still doing this pond thing.

Feeling:
      ----

The focus should remain on assisting the OP, not having a salt debate.
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

There is nothing that can be done to help that fish IMHO depending on the possible cause other than salt. It may come out of this on its own depending on the cause or it could die soon. Either way if I were to try I would start with salt as it is a stress reliever and does help calm fish and aid the osmoregulatory sytem in times of this type of problem. I may even try a shot a Dexamethasone which can be helpful in cases of shock. The debate is part of trying to help the poster decide what to do .
      Last edited by No Buddy; 11-02-2018 at 10:07 AM.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by No Buddy View Post
      There is nothing that can be done to help that fish IMHO depending on the possible cause other than salt. It may come out of this on its own depending on the cause or it could die soon. Either way if I were to try I would start with salt as it is a stress reliever and does help calm fish and aid the osmoregulatory sytem in times of this type of problem. I may even try a shot a Dexamethasone which can be helpful in cases of shock. The debate is part of trying to help the poster decide what to do .
      Reminder:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...mergency-Forum
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007