• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: is it possible that fish is resistent agains treatment against anchor worms?

Koinicole is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

is it possible that fish is resistent agains treatment against anchor worms?

Hello all!

We had a history of anchor worm this summer in our pond, but anchor worm was actually spotted only on one fish repeatedly! I had posted previously about this (is this anchor worm?)

First we put bespoken fish into quarantine tank, after removal of the worms, it healed nicely, but couldn't treat with meds,since there was too much nitrites we couldn't control. So we returned her in the treated pond. Again she showed new spots.

We treated her in a smaller tank for three hours (medical bath) as stated on the leaflet last week, and again, she is showing new spots .... I am travelling in the States right now and ordered some Dimillin, which I cannot find in Europe, but don't know how to work with this medication...

Treated pond twice once, then again after 3 weeks for larvae(as stated on the description), water parameters all good, fish as well.

Here is what I put: (for her bath and the pond)

Argulol by Sera
      Well tolerated, highly concentrated water conditioner for the quick and complete removal of parasitic crustaceans such as fish lice (Argulus), anchor worms, crustaceans affecting the gills, parasitic isopods and small crustaceans (that may serve as intermediate hosts for other parasites) that frequently occur in ponds.
      Residues are broken down biologically. – A water change is not necessary.

Attention: Other invertebrates such as snails, clams, crayfish and insect (larvae) do not tolerate the treatment. Amphibians and plants are not affected by the treatment.
      Well tolerated, highly concentrated water conditioner for the quick and complete removal of parasitic crustaceans such as fish lice (Argulus), anchor worms, crustaceans affecting the gills, parasitic isopods and small crustaceans (that may serve as intermediate hosts for other parasites) that frequently occur in ponds.
      Residues are broken down biologically. – A water change is not necessary.

Attention: Other invertebrates such as snails, clams, crayfish and insect (larvae) do not tolerate the treatment. Amphibians and plants are not affected by the treatment.

ingredients:10mg Emamectinbenzonate per ml,Macrogol 300,propylencarbonate,denatoniumbenzonate.

Any input is highly appreciated!

Thanks!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The ingredients in Dimilin are:

diflubenzuron
      N-[[( 4-Ch lorophenyl)amino lca rbonyll-2,6-d ifluorobenzamide

Which sounds similar, and the list of affected varieties sounds like dimilin and Argulol are the same. I have not had to treat anchor worm but have treated Argulus on several occasions in different ponds and have had good results with Dimilin. I have never had recurring infestations.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you so much for your answer! So would you suggest to pull her out and remove scales/worms again, or just bathe her?! Could you help me with the dosage of Dimilin. Could I do a bathe for that single fish and if yes what would be the dosage?! Thank you so much!

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

If it helps the dosage on my bottle says 1 teaspoon treats 500 gallons. But it doesn't say anything about
      being a bath or dip. The fish should remain in the Dimilin. It also says "Reapply after 3-5 days to
      exterminate any new copepod hatchlings to completely end their life cycle."
      If it were me I would treat the whole pond if at all possible. Dimilin-X isn't that expensive and a 8 ounce
      bottle will treat 25,000 gallons.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

For the dry Dimilin 25W, the dose is one gram per 1000 gallons, and there is apparently no such thing as an overdose. It is a chiton inhibitor preventing the formation of the shells on crustaceans. It does not affect plants or animals that do not have a hard shell skeleton. I have never had to repeat a dose, but as Steve stated the 3 to 5 days wouldn't hurt and may help. The product that I used was the same as Dimilin but brand name Adept, and it was sold in one pound bags containing 16 soluble bags. One pound is 456 grams, and therefore would treat 456000 gallons. The price was about 50 cents per gram. I shared many pouches because I would never have a need for the full pound. Sold out now.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks! This said, I close the UV and no food for this time, right?!Or for how long?!

Thank you so much!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I did turn of the UV for a week, but I didn't change feeding schedule. Refrain from water changes until the treatment has been going for at least a week.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007