• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Gesneriads

CraigP is offline Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

Gesneriads

My wife brought home some African Violets this past spring, and while attending the Green Thumb Festival in St. Pete, Fl, when we stopped by the Gesneriad Society booth for more info on growing them, my interest grew from just the African Violets to other gesneriads. The one pictured here is a favorite, Sinningia helleri, a plant first discovered in 1839, but then was thought to have gone extinct by 1907. Viable stock was rediscovered in 2014 and seed made available , I think thru the San Francisco gesneriad society, in 2015. I purchased seed in April of this year and after what seemed like forever....the plants are starting to bloom! Personally, I think the foliage alone makes it an attractive addition to the collection, but the flowers make it spectacular... or at least so I think. < g >
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      "Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

"On entering this world our starting-point is ignorance. None, however, but idiots remain there."~ Horace Mann

Craig

gander is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~ 2018 KPOTY
      is birds flying high you know how
      I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

I remember in the 70's everyone was growing one called Chocolate soldier. I had one at Mom and Dads in the den window and it was the prettiest thing just full of blooms and hanging down the side of the pot. I came home from work it was gone. Dad gave it away as a gift too someone I did not even like.
      "most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

OK.TN.

Feeling:
      Amused

I have never seen 'Chocolate Soldier', but it sure looks nice from the pictures I pulled up. I don't yet grow any Epicia, but will check for them at the next Green Thumb Festival.. This picture is that of another Sinningia named "Orange Zinger" my sister gave me as a large tuber. Once the tuber sprouted, it bloomed quickly. Hopefully, once the S. helleri tuber they will bloom at shorter intervals as well. < g >

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

"On entering this world our starting-point is ignorance. None, however, but idiots remain there."~ Horace Mann

Craig

gander is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~ 2018 KPOTY
      is birds flying high you know how
      I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

when I was a kid in South Carolina our neighbor had a plant that had a bloom like that except it was a blue color and had I think purpleish hairy leaves and the roots had small tubers that looked like mini pinecones I always liked it.
      "most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

OK.TN.

Feeling:
      Amused

I did buy a blue species of Sinningia as well, but didn't realize just how "dwarf" the plant would be. Believe it or not....it too makes tiny tubers. < g >

Craig