• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green water issues

LaKoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Green water issues

Hello All,
      Sorry for the long post. My 10 years old koi pond is about 2k gallons. The water is always green even though the algae on the liner are very short and look healthy. I want to have clear or less cloudy water and healthy water.

My current set up:
      The water go through skimmer and 3 inches bottom drain to the pump then through Ultima II and back to the pond (from the 2 inches pipe). The water suppose to go out the fountain but the liner of the fountain is leaking and will fix it later.

I know Ultima II can’t work alone to make water really clean/clear, so I am thinking of adding another … thing to work with my Ultima II.

My Budget is $500 or less. I am open to any options (like mini sieve, Birdman’s sand & gravel filter, etc). I used to have 57V UV-light but the result wasn’t good (may be flow rate wasn’t right I don’t know and the power supply already broke so UV light is out for this project.

My available resources are 55 gallon blue barrel (the empty blue barrel in the picture) and 300 gallons/hour submersible pump. So I am thinking of DIY adding a Birman’s sand & gravel filter with blower (stand-alone).

Can you give me some idea what I can do/add to make the water clear? I hope I have provided everything I know. Please ask me for any other questions. Thank you very much.

Water test: PH : 8.6, Ammonia: 0, Nitrite : 0, Nitrate: 0
      Fish stock : 10 koi from 4 to 10 inches. I feed them once a day and they grow very slow. I think they are all males…lol
      I backwash once a week, about 3-4 minutes
      2k gals liner pond, Ultima II 10k, PerformancePro Artesian 1/4hp 2.7 Amp 4902gph, Savio skimmer (8.5 inch faceplate), 3 inches bottom drain.

3k gals liner pond, Ultima II 10k, PerformancePro Artesian 1/4hp 2.7 Amp 4902gph, Savio skimmer (8.5 inch faceplate), 3 inches bottom drain.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Give you some idea of the cloudy water. Thanks.

3k gals liner pond, Ultima II 10k, PerformancePro Artesian 1/4hp 2.7 Amp 4902gph, Savio skimmer (8.5 inch faceplate), 3 inches bottom drain.

Dave 01 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would probably build 2 sand and gravel filters to use with the 4902 gph pump and empty them into a diy shower. You should be able to do that and stay on budget

Rob Forbis is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just add a AquaUV 40 watt classic UV. Under $500 online and should clear your water in a week.

skyblue is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by LaKoi View Post
      Give you some idea of the cloudy water. Thanks.

I just have the basic 3-in-one filtration system from Pond Masters in my 200 gallon pond, but I've found that a weekly 10% water change before filter cleanings, along with monthly applications of Micro Lift Sluge Away, PondShock and barley extract, done religiously, have kept the water from turning green again. Some people have suggested using Nualgi, so I'd list that as an option for the barley extract. Skimming the top of leaves and debris with a net as often as you can also helps to keep the add sludge down.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by skyblue; 10-17-2018 at 10:21 AM.

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by LaKoi View Post
      Hello All,
      Sorry for the long post. My 10 years old koi pond is about 2k gallons. The water is always green even though the algae on the liner are very short and look healthy. I want to have clear or less cloudy water and healthy water.
      My current set up:
      The water go through skimmer and 3 inches bottom drain to the pump then through Ultima II and back to the pond (from the 2 inches pipe). The water suppose to go out the fountain but the liner of the fountain is leaking and will fix it later.
      I know Ultima II can’t work alone to make water really clean/clear, so I am thinking of adding another … thing to work with my Ultima II.
      My Budget is $500 or less. I am open to any options (like mini sieve, Birdman’s sand & gravel filter, etc). I used to have 57V UV-light but the result wasn’t good (may be flow rate wasn’t right I don’t know and the power supply already broke so UV light is out for this project.
      My available resources are 55 gallon blue barrel (the empty blue barrel in the picture) and 300 gallons/hour submersible pump. So I am thinking of DIY adding a Birman’s sand & gravel filter with blower (stand-alone).
      Can you give me some idea what I can do/add to make the water clear? I hope I have provided everything I know. Please ask me for any other questions. Thank you very much.
      Water test: PH : 8.6, Ammonia: 0, Nitrite : 0, Nitrate: 0
      Fish stock : 10 koi from 4 to 10 inches. I feed them once a day and they grow very slow. I think they are all males…lol
      I backwash once a week, about 3-4 minutes
      2k gals liner pond, Ultima II 10k, PerformancePro Artesian 1/4hp 2.7 Amp 4902gph, Savio skimmer (8.5 inch faceplate), 3 inches bottom drain.
      A new UV filter and more biological filtration come to mind.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Dave 01 View Post
      I would probably build 2 sand and gravel filters to use with the 4902 gph pump and empty them into a diy shower. You should be able to do that and stay on budget
      Hi Dave,

What is the order of the set up? 2 sand and &gravel filters , Ultima II and shower? Or same order but skip the Ultima II?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Forbis View Post
      Just add a AquaUV 40 watt classic UV. Under $500 online and should clear your water in a week.
      HI Rob,

I had 57 watt UV-light before and had bad luck with it. It wasn’t work as expected (may be flow rate was wrong) and the power supply was broken already. So I think I will skip UV-light this time. Thank you.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
      A new UV filter and more biological filtration come to mind.

The s/g filters will clean the water nicely but won't capture green water algae. The shower may be
      enough bio to clear the pond but don't be disappointed if it doesn't happen quickly. A UV with the
      correct flow will get rid of the green water.
      It's hard to tell exactly what is clouding the water... fine debris or algae or both.

Sending the water from the BD and skimmer directly to a pump is making the filtration worker harder
      since it's making the debris finer right from the start.

--Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

DRnNY is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have an aqua 57w uv,it has a top flow of 3200gph to clarify less flow for sterilize water. Mine is on a 2500 gal pond and I'm flowing about 2500gph hour through it with no problem.Pond is in sun for most of the day.good luck
      Click for Levittown, New York Forecast

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How about this set up?

1). keep my current set up(skimmer, BD to Ultimate II to pond).
      2). Add 1 sand & gravel filter and do research & add some (Micro Lift Sluge Away, PondShock, barley extract or AlgeaFix).
      3). Add UV-light

I will do 1 and 2 now. If still no improvement like after few months , I will do 1, 2 and 3.

Rob Forbis is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You should do what you want and learn like the rest of us.

The data sheet says that your Ultima II 10K should have a minimum flow of 5000 gallons/hour (5K-7.5K/hr). From the height above pond level, and the distance to the pond, the pipe size, the curves, the valves and the bead filter itself I would guess you must be at 15 to 20 feet of head. This reduces the ¼ hp pump to less than 3000 gallons/hour. This probably isn’t enough, and may not be enough for a good backflush either. The ultima II is a mechanical as well as a biological filter. A 10K on a 2K pond is more than sufficient for mechanical filtration given an adequate flow rate. Spare your pond the chemicals, add the UV (and you could use a bigger pump).

maruzo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
      I just have the basic 3-in-one filtration system from Pond Masters in my 200 gallon pond, but I've found that a weekly 10% water change before filter cleanings, along with monthly applications of Micro Lift Sluge Away, PondShock and barley extract, done religiously, have kept the water from turning green again. Some people have suggested using Nualgi, so I'd list that as an option for the barley extract. Skimming the top of leaves and debris with a net as often as you can also helps to keep the add sludge down.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
      My 800 gallon concrete pond was designed by a Japanese landscaper. He put in a 24w UV in the filtration system. Pond is crystal clear when there's 50% shade on it from the nearby overhanging plants String algae is ever present and won't go away completely, but the water is super clear.

I think you just need UV and someway of reducing the sun exposure.

MikeM is offline Super Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The water parameters posted raise questions in my mind. It is extremely rare to have no detectable nitrate when biological filtration is operating correctly and water changes are only 10-20% per week. If accurate, it suggests the greenwater algae are consuming all available ammonia and nitrifiers are negligible. Probably poor test kit or incorrect reading, but if accurate something is wrong with bio-filtration.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
      The water parameters posted raise questions in my mind. It is extremely rare to have no detectable nitrate when biological filtration is operating correctly and water changes are only 10-20% per week. If accurate, it suggests the greenwater algae are consuming all available ammonia and nitrifiers are negligible. Probably poor test kit or incorrect reading, but if accurate something is wrong with bio-filtration.
      However most that post in health section and on main say they have 0 nitrates. lol

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Do 80 percent water change and Up the uv clarifier wattage. My 1000 gallon pond gets a 55watts
      Last edited by Nguyen365; 10-19-2018 at 12:37 PM.

MikeM is offline Super Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kdh View Post
      However most that post in health section and on main say they have 0 nitrates. lol
      I think in nearly all instances where folks say that, they have not tested & do not want responses telling them to test, so they post what they think will get responses to their question without everyone saying they need test results before answering. The only time a hobbyist pond should have zero nitrate is when it has been emptied 100% and re-filled. Any other time, zero nitrate means there is some very fundamental problem.

LoriP is offline Senior Member
      is off on a new adventure

Feeling:
      ----

I think in nearly all instances where folks say that, they have not tested & do not want responses telling them to test, so they post what they think will get responses to their question without everyone saying they need test results before answering. The only time a hobbyist pond should have zero nitrate is when it has been emptied 100% and re-filled. Any other time, zero nitrate means there is some very fundamental problem.
      Or there's those of us with the conundrum of nitrate in our source water that decreases until the next new water is added but still haven't seen nitrite show up even with the ammonia on the decline. Sorry to jump on another's thread but that one is my big stumper.

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Just as an experiment, I kept my winter pond cover on all summer and had absolutely no incident (not even a tinge) of green water or string algae and had very little surface algae. I was pretty certain that I could have fed all I wanted without turning the water green. Pond was 60% covered from sunlight (and for that mattter, covered from wind rain, herons, bird droppings etc ).
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

KoiRun on YouTube, latest video:
      https://youtu.be/72iiuRXY2Wk

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

What do you think this very fundamental problem is?
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

KoiRun on YouTube, latest video:
      https://youtu.be/72iiuRXY2Wk

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast