• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Glass Window on Outdoor Pond

WLcreations is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Glass Window on Outdoor Pond

I'm looking at various build options for a new outdoor pond (approx. 2k gallons). I have a few indoor aquariums and love being able to see the fish on the side as well as from the top. I've seen some pictures online where people install glass windows for their outdoor ponds but wonder the practicality of maintaining it - durability, leak prevention, winterization, etc.? Has anyone tried doing a glass window outdoors? What was your experience and is there anything to watch out for?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Few are a fan of windows, but that aside, the problem is algae growing on the glass and looking bad. Yes, it can be cleaned, but a day later it's growing again. Also, koi are "designed" to be seen from above; they aren't that attractive when seen from the side.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks, kimini! Yup, I understand the "design" aspect of seeing them from above. Sorry, I hope I didn't offend anyone. I'm just one of the few who don't mind seeing them from the side because it gives me a better view of how they're doing and figured the fish might enjoy peaking out to see the outside world every once in a while.

It sounds like I'll have to keep a scraper next to the pond if a window is installed or perhaps create a rock camouflaged window "cover" that can block out some sun on both sides...something to think about.
      Last edited by WLcreations; 10-16-2018 at 03:59 PM.

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by WLcreations View Post
      Thanks, kimini! Yup, I understand the "design" aspect of seeing them from above. Sorry, I hope I didn't offend anyone. I'm just one of the few who don't mind seeing them from the side because it gives me a better view of how they're doing and figured the fish might enjoy peaking out to see the outside world every once in a while.

It sounds like I'll have to keep a scraper next to the pond if a window is installed or perhaps create a rock camouflaged window "cover" that can block out some sun on both sides...something to think about.

Dont be put off by the have nots.

I went to a great deal of trouble to fit a window in my gunited pond after I had gunited the shell but had not completed and filled the

pond. But I decided window in the only piece of flat wall in my pond.

It gives you something to think about. What if I have a contractor come in with his 600 mm diameter concrete saw blade and cuts a

rectangle opening out of the shell, leaving you with a gaping hole in the wall of the pond and the proposed custom made 316 2 mm

stainless steel sleeve leaks after sealing and fixing.

It is very rewarding to watch your fish peer back at you with each of its fins gently paddle and sway, working in coordination to

maintain that perfect balance. The layer upon layer of close up overlapping scales. Those big gorgeous eyes checking you out.

Just inches away.

What's that black blemish? Just the start of a shimmy on your prize Kohaku.

You cannot see some sores, cuts, and bruises from above like you can when you are looking through the window.

You can see every imperfection on the body fins eyes mouth etc.

You can be watching when the sudden movement of a bird above creates the fright and flite movement, which causes it to suddenly

dart away.

I must admit keeping the glass clean is a pain.

Had I not installed the window when I did, I would be regretting it today.

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

kwickcut is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kimini View Post
      Few are a fan of windows, but that aside, the problem is algae growing on the glass and looking bad. Yes, it can be cleaned, but a day later it's growing again. Also, koi are "designed" to be seen from above; they aren't that attractive when seen from the side.
      i dont believe that is a very accurate statement. in the states windows many not be very popular but windows are a big thing overseas just do a search for raised pond windows and there are a ton. now i do agree koi are better viewed from above but if you like to view them from the side who am i to say you are crazy lol. i believe everyone has to do what they like despite what the masses think. if you want a window install one because if you dont you will regret it later on and it will cost way more to install after the fact rather then when it is being built.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rais...w=1366&bih=608
      Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead. - Benjamin Franklin.

you cant fix stupid no matter how hard you try.

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Okay, they're a great idea, and a PITA to clean, is that better? ��

mplskoi is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Like Garfield I see a great advantage in having a window that you can closely observe fish health issues. They can be challenging to keep clean but I think well worth the trouble. If you go to my sig line find my build thread for some details on how they can be done.
      This picture is midwinter with 4-6 inches of snow on the ground.Name:  Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 4.09.28 PM.png
Views: 1018
Size:  213.1 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you so much for the support, Everyone!

Wow, Garfield, that was like poetry and thank you for the picture, mplskoi! Your koi seems quite comfy and unbothered by the cold. Do you guys have your ponds covered and/or heated? I currently cover my pond but don't have it heated and wonder if I'll have to start if the new pond has glass. I live in the lower part of NY but the winters have been getting to the single digits. So jealous of pond keepers who don't have to worry about winter temps.

mplskoi is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Last winter I kept a 100 watt aquarium heater in the skimmer line just in case of ice. My water temps never went below 47 degrees. We had one of the colder and longer winters that we have had in awhile. My pond has R15 down to 4 feet below grade and equivalent or more above. My pump house has a minimum of R15 and mostly R20.
      I lay two layers of 2 inch foam on top of the water thru the winter.
      The best winterizing you can do is during the build phase. Plan any pond based on winter. Summer is easy. You will never regret any time and money that you put into winterizing. You will only regret not having done enough.
      We had nearly an entire week of sub zero weather here last winter.

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Thank you so much for the support, Everyone!

Wow, Garfield, that was like poetry and thank you for the picture, mplskoi! Your koi seems quite comfy and unbothered by the cold. Do you guys have your ponds covered and/or heated? I currently cover my pond but don't have it heated and wonder if I'll have to start if the new pond has glass. I live in the lower part of NY but the winters have been getting to the single digits. So jealous of pond keepers who don't have to worry about winter temps.
      I live in the sunny part of darkest Africa, South Africa about 3 or 4 hundred meters from the Indian Ocean.

Comfortably winters and warm to hottish summers.

I should cover the pond from the harsh summer sunlight but I don't.

They can find shade if they look.

Pond water temperatures hover around 17,18C to about 25 to 28,29 in summer.

It's 63000 liters so it lags behind them all the time.

I suppose ideal grow on conditions.

It gets cold as you go further inland

It can be very cold in winter, pond water probably averages around 10C. I am not really sure.

Some parts colder than others.

At least above zero

Not NY cold.

A lot of whales not far off the back line today.

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

mplskoi - Learning something new again today...adding R15/R20 to my list of things to put in new pond, haha! What a great tip!

What kind of foam can be used for covers? With regular household foams, I always worry that pieces of it might fall/deteriorate and get in the water. Is there a way for me to prevent this? Some people use kiddie playpen balls but I've never tried it myself. A heater by the skimmer is a great idea. I have always kept the waterfall going during winters but was recently told to stop it because it exposes the water to cold air and use an aerator instead to prevent the surface from freezing over. With your experience in such cold winters, is that a good idea?

Garfield - Your place sounds beautiful and your kois must love it there with 63000 liters of space!

stephen is online now Koiphen Member
      WWKC Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #2
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm looking at various build options for a new outdoor pond (approx. 2k gallons). I have a few indoor aquariums and love being able to see the fish on the side as well as from the top. I've seen some pictures online where people install glass windows for their outdoor ponds but wonder the practicality of maintaining it - durability, leak prevention, winterization, etc.? Has anyone tried doing a glass window outdoors? What was your experience and is there anything to watch out for?
      I put 3 windows in my quarantine pond that I had 14 years ago. They give you a different perspective that you may otherwise not have.

Also came in handy viewing my wife when she needed an "Attitude Adjustment"
      Attached Images Attached Images    

velvetbone is offline Supporting Member
      is Still Learning

Feeling:
      Awesome

Name:  D1BD0F16-C2F5-4EDC-A84E-521C90AEAC96.jpg
Views: 1616
Size:  176.3 KB
      We like ours and IT DOES NOT get a lot of algae. Yes it does grow algae on it but I clean it every 6-8 weeks on average and of course it means more during the summer but an aquarium magnet makes cleaning it a snap. Less than 2 minutes...
      V

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Haha! Wow, thank you so much for all the pictures!

And thanks for the reassurance on algae management, velvetbone! That's the one thing a lot of people warned me about. I grew up with aquariums at home so I don't mind scrubbing, just as long as the glass can be scrubbed clean (won't look grimy or ugly in time despite scrubbing). Your glass looks crystal btw! How long have you had it?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007