• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Two fish dead this morning

Fishyfingers is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Two fish dead this morning

I stepped out for a morning feeding and found two of my goldfish deceased this morning. One I expected as it had been showing signs of serious trouble. This one has been swimming in tight circles, sometimes upside down for about a week. After some research I figured it had developed a neurological issue and would either get better or die. The other was just fine yesterday, acting like all the others but was belly up this morning. There are no signs of external trauma. I’ve run my water test and the results are normal. Ph @7.2, nitrite 0, ammonia less than 0.25, phos @0.75

I’ve had both the dead fish for at least 4 years. But I don’t think the asymtomatic one died of old age.
      Should I treat the pond for a broad spectrum disease? Wait and see if any others die mysteriously before taking action?

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

So sorry for your losses.

Any chemicals or sprays used around the pond within the last week or since you noticed
      the first fish having trouble? Any electrical issues?

I've seen sprays and electrical leaks in the water cause what appears like neurological problems.
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The city has a spray truck that comes by every few days for mosquitoe control but this has been going on as long as I’ve been ponding (16 years or so now). I doubt it could be electrical. I have an in-pond pump (2000 gph Laguna) which replaced the previous pump about 2 months ago. I often have cuts on fingers which are sensitive to electrical shock and feel nothing when I reach into the water.

I’m going to hope the asymtomatic fish just died of natural causes. All the others, goldfish, koi, sunfish and mosquito fish appear to be behaving as they do under normal conditions.

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I don't know if it might be an issue, but check the pH very early in the morning and late in the evening to see if there is a pH swing, and how much it is. You didn't give a KH (alkalinity value) where KH is the buffer for pH swings. With a pH of 7.2 it sounds like it may be low KH, and the time of the day would matter for the pH reading if it is swinging violently, and that could be a factor on the health of the fish.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

TurtleMommy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just curious, but how big is your pond and how many and what size fish do you have?
      TurtleMommy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My pond is approximately 1,800 gallons. I now have 5 koi (all 12-15”) and 6 goldfish (6-8”) plus several 2-4” sunfish.