• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: How to tell difference between koi fries and gold fish fries?

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How to tell difference between koi fries and gold fish fries?

I am curious.

Mabe they look the same until koi´s barbels start to appear, but when will it happen? My koi fries are about 3/4 inch.

I ask this question because I may have got some gold fish fries in my koi fry population.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

nota is offline Senior Member
      is wet

Feeling:
      ----

other problem is half breeds
      many will have a single pair of front barbels only
      they tend to be more g/f shape body with koi colors

time will tell but it does take awhile for them to grow into adult body shape to know what it is

delbert is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It’s easier to get rid of the gold fish
      Then you know they are all koi .

lukef is offline king of the lilliputians
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Koi fries are longer and much better for dipping in ketchup...goldfish fries are called shorts in the fast food trade. If a bag has too many goldfish fries in it the customers will often complain.
      "Those aren't poodles. They're Dobermans with afros."

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Nancy

DarkStar is offline Supporting Member
      is Comfortably Numb

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by lukef View Post
      Koi fries are longer and much better for dipping in ketchup...goldfish fries are called shorts in the fast food trade. If a bag has too many goldfish fries in it the customers will often complain.
      OMG, every time the title of that thread caught my eye I've been dying to say something like "You can tell by the difference in the amount of ketchup they use!" or something like that and giggle. lukef> Too funny!
      I was just afraid to offend this dear person who asked a very serious question.

Simon W, I hope our irreverent comments haven't put you off. If they did I apologize. By now I would think your koi have grown large enough to display their full barbels, koi shape, and allow you to differentiate been them and the goldfish. Best of luck with your new fish!
      Last edited by DarkStar; 12-11-2018 at 03:49 PM.
      Find Something You Would Die For And Live for It.

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have figured that out :-)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
      OMG, every time the title of that thread caught my eye I've been dying to say something like "You can tell by the difference in the amount of ketchup they use!" or something like that and giggle. lukef> Too funny!
      I was just afraid to offend this dear person who asked a very serious question.

Simon W, I hope our irreverent comments haven't put you off. If they did I apologize. By now I would think your koi have grown large enough to display their full barbels, koi shape, and allow you to differentiate been them and the goldfish. Best of luck with your new fish!

Haha. No problem! I expected it actually. :-)

I found out that koi fries have color patterns early on, and even if they are solid dark, they are grey or greenish. But the gold fish fries are much darker, and they are solid dark with bronze-colored belly.

I got this mixed-up problem unintentionally. This is my first year with mature koi and gold fish, and I have not expected to handle fries already.

Initially I put some 30-50 cm koi and some tiny gold fishes in my koi pond. The gold fishes were small, like 5 cm in size, and they were never intentionally fed. The koi spawned, and I got some surviving eggs. From them I later got some 50 fries, and I kept them in a tub.

One or two weeks later I found that there were still fries in the koi pond, so I took them out and put them together with the earlier koi fries.

I did not realize that the later fries probably were gold fish fries until I found some fries in an other pond that only had gold fishes which I had bought together with the gold fishes that I had put in the koi pond.

Anyway, I think that next year I may need to use my fish net for bait fish (mesh size 1 cm) to remove abundant young gold fishes from the koi pond!

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

I've found shubunkin and sarassa fry difficult to distinguish between koi fry at a young age.

These are definitely gold fish fries though!
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by BWG; 12-12-2018 at 08:35 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

um and the plural of "fry" is "fry" just as the plural of "fish is "fish"

Feeling:
      Happy

Luke - Do you eat French fry or French fries?
      Last edited by BWG; 12-14-2018 at 09:37 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is Comfortably Numb

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
      Do you eat French fry or French fries?
      Maybe he doesn't eat either. He lives in Sweden so perhaps they're called something else and he's eating something called ?

I've been told that English is a tough language to master. I often imagine people from other countries cringing when we try to speak their languages and mangle them in the attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonW View Post
      Haha. No problem! I expected it actually. :-)
      I found out that koi fries have color patterns early on, and even if they are solid dark, they are grey or greenish. But the gold fish fries are much darker, and they are solid dark with bronze-colored belly.
      I got this mixed-up problem unintentionally. This is my first year with mature koi and gold fish, and I have not expected to handle fries already.
      Initially I put some 30-50 cm koi and some tiny gold fishes in my koi pond. The gold fishes were small, like 5 cm in size, and they were never intentionally fed. The koi spawned, and I got some surviving eggs. From them I later got some 50 fries, and I kept them in a tub.
      One or two weeks later I found that there were still fries in the koi pond, so I took them out and put them together with the earlier koi fries.
      I did not realize that the later fries probably were gold fish fries until I found some fries in an other pond that only had gold fishes which I had bought together with the gold fishes that I had put in the koi pond.
      Anyway, I think that next year I may need to use my fish net for bait fish (mesh size 1 cm) to remove abundant young gold fishes from the koi pond!
      Thank you, SimonW. You have an excellent sense of humor then! I like you already.
      I think it's cool that you've ventured into breeding. Do you have a particular goal in mind?

From all you've said about the spawnings I'm curious .. if I'm not mistaken, you have more than one pond. Are these liner ponds or mud ponds? Size?
      I used to chat with someone from Sweden on a gaming forum so I know that it's a very beautiful country, it has very progressive social policies, polar nights and Northern Lights(!!!!) (I chatted with a friend from Iceland too - saw pictures that were amazing). But how does all of that relate (pro and con) to breeding and raising koi and goldfish?
      If you have the time and don't mind telling us a little about it? Do you have any pictures you'd like to share?

I've found shubunkin and sarassa fry difficult to distinguish between koi fry at a young age.
      These are definitely gold fish fries though!
      Priceless! Thank you so much! I really needed that!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I still figure he'd want to know the plural of fish fry is not the same as french fries.

is Comfortably Numb

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by lukef View Post
      I still figure he'd want to know the plural of fish fry is not the same as french fries.
      I apologize luke, you're probably right.
      I'm always concerned about offending folks from other countries when it comes to language, you know? Translating is not always easy. But I should have been equally careful about you too. I'm sorry.

Feeling:
      Happy

The person that sorts the fry.........

Are they a Fryer or a Frier???

Just over thinking the concept a little. Must go outside, cool down and feed my fishes...

is Comfortably Numb

Feeling:
      ----

The person that sorts the fry.........

Are they a Fryer or a Frier???

Just over thinking the concept a little. Must go outside, cool down and feed my fishes...
      Frier or Fryer? . ... that’s too Deep for me.

I don’t know, but I go back to the picture of your “Goldfish Fries” every day just to laugh. Thank you so much!

[And thank you to SimonW for this Thread even though we’ve been shamefully OT ; Still with us, Simon? I did ask some serious questions about your fish and ponds.]

Feeling:
      Happy

It's a good and legitimate question. Personally I have a difficult time telling until they get larger.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007