• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: New Board member: Too many Koi, and the mystery turtle

leafnose is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

New Board member: Too many Koi, and the mystery turtle

So, two years back a disaster occurred and the raccoons were able to feast on the entire pond and took them all.

Added 11 small koi, actually one is a goldfish, and just that fast they grown from small to 12" plus.
      I noted on another board that the sponge filters on my old Cyprio Hozelock are overloaded, nearly everyday, by waste.

Slowly dawned on me that I'm probably overcapacity in 600 gallon pond.

Anyhow, I live in densely populated area in the hills, with lot of fencing. Somehow, wildly, a Yellow eared slider was able to find its way into my netted pond. Quite a feat. Turtle seems quite content, and is shy, but healthy as can be.

Going to have thin out the koi; much as it pains me.

Slapshot is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by leafnose View Post
      So, two years back a disaster occurred and the raccoons were able to feast on the entire pond and took them all.

Added 11 small koi, actually one is a goldfish, and just that fast they grown from small to 12" plus.
      I noted on another board that the sponge filters on my old Cyprio Hozelock are overloaded, nearly everyday, by waste.

Anyhow, I live in densely populated area in the hills, with lot of fencing. Somehow, wildly, a Yellow eared slider was able to find its way into my netted pond. Quite a feat. Turtle seems quite content, and is shy, but healthy as can be.

There is an old saying I keep in mind when having to thin that makes it easier for me...you choose or Mother Nature will and she always takes your favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarkStar is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by leafnose View Post

Welcome to Koiphen, leafnose . So glad to have you with us!
      I'm very sorry to hear of your Koi loss to Raccoons; Have you made some changes to your pond since them? They are opportunistic little buggers so even if they can't get to your fish, I hope your new little Turtle friend is in a safe area. Raccoons also eat frogs, salamanders, newts, etc. any of the critters they find in and along the sides of the pond. They never forget a spot where there was a food supply.

Re: your filtration vs. pond size vs. fish load: Slapshot said it perfectly:

Quote Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post
      There is an old saying I keep in mind when having to thin that makes it easier for me...you choose or Mother Nature will and she always takes your favorite.

Do you know anyone else with a pond who might take a few of your fish off your hands? Do you have any pics of your pond? We love pictures!
      Ok, I get too chatty. Welcome aboard, and keep us updated.
      Find Something You Would Die For And Live for It.

davidjensen is offline Senior Member
      is needing more Koi

Feeling:
      Cool

Welcome to the community. As a general rule Koi need a certain amount of environment (water) to stay healthy. If you have minimal filtration and water movement in a 600 gal pond you can accommodate 4-12" fish or 3-18" fish or 2-24" fish and the two 24" will tax your filtration and not be happy. If you increase your filtration to 20% of the pond volume you can handle more but its a ticking time bomb. The bio load on your system increases exponentially as the koi grow. So many have watched their koi grow for a few years and then all of a sudden they start dying off. Its just like the fruit fly's in the glass jar experiment.
      Need more Koi

Slapshot is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
      Welcome to Koiphen, leafnose . So glad to have you with us!
      I'm very sorry to hear of your Koi loss to Raccoons; Have you made some changes to your pond since them? They are opportunistic little buggers so even if they can't get to your fish, I hope your new little Turtle friend is in a safe area. Raccoons also eat frogs, salamanders, newts, etc. any of the critters they find in and along the sides of the pond. They never forget a spot where there was a food supply.

Re: your filtration vs. pond size vs. fish load: Slapshot said it perfectly:

Do you know anyone else with a pond who might take a few of your fish off your hands? Do you have any pics of your pond? We love pictures!
      Ok, I get too chatty. Welcome aboard, and keep us updated.
      No I really donít sorry. My pond and my charges.

DarkStar is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

ooooooooooh, So Very Pretty!!! Thank you for sharing the pics.

Well, you either have to bite the bullet and thin the herd, put in some additional filtration, or take your chances with Fate and Mother Nature.
      Unless you want to build a whole new bigger deeper pond?
      Find Something You Would Die For And Live for It.