• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Strange Growth around Koi Mouth

Koikeeperz is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Strange Growth around Koi Mouth

Help Please with a Strange Unknown Growth Around One Koi Mouth For Identification - has anyone seen this before ?

Habitat is a 700 gallon pond containing 10 koi with body length 10 to 14 inches.
      Filtration turning over the water approx. every 1.5 hrs is firstly through a sealed pressure filter passing output through ultra violet light unit & magnetic unit to a second separate two chamber filter with different sized filtration sponges , firstly ‘ large ‘ then ‘fine ‘ perforations . The pond is stocked with plants which the koi have grown up with & do not damage . The filters run continuously as do 5 air stones . Maintenance is rotating renewing sponges with new as required less in the winter & more in the summer . Some filter sponges have been changed a month ago & different ones changed a few days ago , allowing for residual filter sponges with bacteria . There must be a lot of resident bacteria in this fairly thickly planted pond.
      The pond as now has been running for a least 15 years with the last new fish several years ago , minimum 4 years ago & no new plants added in the same timeframe .
      Temperature is seasonal ranging progressively from freezing to approx. 30 degrees .
      Attached Images Attached Images    

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I have no idea what the problem could be, but it would most likely be viral (disappearing in time) or tumor, which will only get worse. Sorry.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for your interest . Having searched the internet & posted the issue on this forum I think someone , somewhere , must have experienced this situation . Surely I cannot be unique in this world ?
      Let's hope they see this post & then we will all be wiser !

DarkStar is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Koikeeperz View Post
      Help Please with a Strange Unknown Growth Around One Koi Mouth For Identification - has anyone seen this before ?

Habitat is a 700 gallon pond containing 10 koi with body length 10 to 14 inches.
      Filtration turning over the water approx. every 1.5 hrs is firstly through a sealed pressure filter passing output through ultra violet light unit & magnetic unit to a second separate two chamber filter with different sized filtration sponges , firstly ‘ large ‘ then ‘fine ‘ perforations . The pond is stocked with plants which the koi have grown up with & do not damage . The filters run continuously as do 5 air stones . Maintenance is rotating renewing sponges with new as required less in the winter & more in the summer . Some filter sponges have been changed a month ago & different ones changed a few days ago , allowing for residual filter sponges with bacteria . There must be a lot of resident bacteria in this fairly thickly planted pond.
      The pond as now has been running for a least 15 years with the last new fish several years ago , minimum 4 years ago & no new plants added in the same timeframe .
      Temperature is seasonal ranging progressively from freezing to approx. 30 degrees .
      Questions:
      You said "The pond as now has been running for a least 15 years with the last new fish several years ago , minimum 4 years ago" - Was this the new fish added?
      Did the growth just begin? Start to show in cold water or warm?
      Has it looked the same from the beginning or changed over time?
      Has it remained or come and gone and returned again?
      Find Something You Would Die For And Live for It.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hello Dark Star

This fish was one of a group of 4 added to the pond several years ago , not the last group but penultimate group .
      Non of the others in the same group or newer group show any sign of a problem . Minor growth first notice at the end of winter , water about 8 degrees . Growth ' blossomed during hot summer with water up to 30 degrees , but has not decreased . Water at time of photo at start of fall now about 15 degrees . I think this information answers your questions , if not please come back to me . Thanks .

DarkStar is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Koikeeperz View Post
      Hello Dark Star

This fish was one of a group of 4 added to the pond several years ago , not the last group but penultimate group .
      Non of the others in the same group or newer group show any sign of a problem . Minor growth first notice at the end of winter , water about 8 degrees . Growth ' blossomed during hot summer with water up to 30 degrees , but has not decreased . Water at time of photo at start of fall now about 15 degrees . I think this information answers your questions , if not please come back to me . Thanks .
      I had a Koi that looked somewhat similar (from what I can see from the angle of your photos) many years ago. I'm searching through old written records. I also changed PC's and not everything got transferred. I haven't given up though; still looking as time permits. I just want to refresh my memory and make sure it's the way I remember it and we'll try to sort this out if nothing else by process of elimination.

Just to clarify ... You said: "Growth ' blossomed during hot summer with water up to 30 degrees , but has not decreased . Water at time of photo at start of fall now about 15 degrees". You mean 30 degrees Celsius (86* Fahrenheit) - 15 degrees Celsius (59* Fahrenheit) Yes?
      There's no sign that it was an injury of some kind? More like a growth or peeling skin or excess skin or ....? Does it seem waxy? or cottony?
      Find Something You Would Die For And Live for It.