• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Koi was out of water developed some sort of fungus, alge, white film

CPA_Koi is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Koi was out of water developed some sort of fungus, alge, white film

My poor koi was out of the water for an unknown period of time. Long story short – I had 2 very large koi, one I was hoping would recover from a swim bladder issue (this is how I found this forum researching the isue) and the other was very healthy and was missing swimming with his buddy. The weather was cool here in NY so I bypassed the waterfall and stream that cycled back into the pond with a pool hose to keep circulation moving, keep the water warmer at night, in hopes that the antibiotic I gave the sick fish would take hold and his swim bladder would heal. I left this setup for about 2 weeks and we came home on a Sunday from being away for the weekend and noticed that the pond was empty. Something must have slightly come loose on the hose, or it got shifted, honestly it is a mystery, and the water was slowly being pumped out of the pond over the weekend (or it could have happened a few hours before we got home). All we know is that when we came home the pond only had about 2” of water in it and I thought that I lost my fish – 80% of the fish was out of the water – only his belly was in the water. In tears, panic, etc.. we went to pull out the fish (thinking they were both dead) – we took the net and the silver koi moved!!!! He was ALIVE!! I quickly moved him to water and filled up the pond again. The Koi with the swim bladder issue didn’t make it (I was going to have to put him down soon any way as he was developing dry scale patches and swelling from being on his side for over 2 weeks).

I filled the pond and put salt in it to help with the stress and slime coat. PH has been around 8.5

A few days later I noticed that the surviving koi's scales started to become kind of prickly and about a week later it had developed a white film, or fungus of some sort all over his body including the eyes (see picture). He was resting on a shelf in the pond – vs near the bottom, and seemed like his sight was limited.

I bought Malachite Green and gave him a 10 minute bath in a 1.5mg concentrate once a day for 3 days. As a result , I did notice that his eyes didn’t have that haze on them and they were clearing up nicely about 5+ days later.

Now it is about 2 weeks after the treatment and his head, tail, belly etc look very nice (his black eyes and head look great). He still has a sort of fungus (looks like dying scales that have a white film / fungus are growing alge on them). They are starting to sloth off and are revealing what looks like new scales (kind or pinkish) below. Some of the new / pink scales seem to have some alge growing on them.

I bought some Malachite Blue as well, but have not used it (should I give him a dip in that - will that help the new pinkish scales- or try the Green again?). I wanted to post this here to see what you think, also to show other Koi owners what could happen if the koi are out of the water for a long period of time (could be sunburn, just dry scale, etc.)
      Attached Images Attached Images      

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

ademink is offline Senior Member~~Moderator
      is still doing this pond thing.

Feeling:
      ----

I have dealt with this before and will share what worked for me. The koi has saprolegnia. I would advise purchasing Tricide-Neo. It is sold online and may be able to be sent via expedited shipping (I think the last place I got it was Koi Acres). If they are out, try Cascade Pond Supply and Pentair.

Needed:
      Clove oil for sedation
      Powder
      Qtips
      Iodine
      Water without chlorine in it
      Tricide Powder and a small plate to pour some on.

Pull the fish from the pond, use clove oil to sedate the fish. Create a cradle of sorts out of towels rolled up, cover in plastic (non-scented trash bag works). You want a setup that glides easily against it's skin but doesn't allow it to slide off. Prop koi up in it so you can access areas that are injured.

Pour out some (small pile...not all) Tricide Neo powder onto a your dish.

Start by swabbing the affected areas with iodine. After you swab, rinse off the iodine with the non-chlorinated water. This may or may not remove all of the visual saprolegnia...if not, it's ok. The "cide" part of the name in Tricide tells you what it does...kills stuff. lol It also is an antibiotic. You are using it differently than what the package directions advise (as a dip). The way I am telling you to use it is the way you want to use it.....not what the package says.

Take a qtip...gently run on the fish's slime coat to get it tacky and dip in the Tricide. Apply the powder ALL OVER the affected area. You want to coat it gently. Repeat repeat repeat dipping, gently swabbing until it is covered. Let it sit for 2 min (which feels like an eternity).

If there is a ton of it on there, you can gently wipe away excess but that is not necessary..........return fish to QT/pond and revive.

It would be preferable that the fish is in pristine water conditions so a QT would be preferable but if you can't do that...just go with what you have.

DO NOT re-treat, mess with it, etc. New skin will be forming and you don't want to damage it by repeated trauma.
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

thanks ademink is the pink that was under the old scales "new skin" ? (I will try to get a better picture at dusk when there is less glare). A lot of the saprolegnia seems to be falling off with the old skin.

I will order the Tricide-Neo and the clove oil I will try to find on Amazon or in my local pharmacy.

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by CPA_Koi View Post
      thanks ademink is the pink that was under the old scales "new skin" ? (I will try to get a better picture at dusk when there is less glare). A lot of the saprolegnia seems to be falling off with the old skin.

I will order the Tricide-Neo and the clove oil I will try to find on Amazon or in my local pharmacy.
      I had better luck finding it in GNC health store.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

Feeling:
      ----

If you think you are seeing healing and it's falling off, you may want to wait and see. The hairy photos look pretty bad - lol - but you can see a lot in person that we can't detect in photos. If the koi seems to be doing ok and isn't declining, you can go into a holding pattern for a couple of days and see what happens.
      Andrea

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks - I will hold off and wait and see until everything else falls off.

all that "pinkish" skin /scales are what was under the old skin/scales that are peeling off in chunks with the saprolegnia on top of it. The thing I worry about is that if the new skin starts to grow fresh saprelegnia on it (some areas look like it might be getting fuzzy again in spots).

Do you think a once a week dip into Malachite Green, or Blue will help stave off any new growth / promote healing? If not - things are looking better and I will wait to see how the healing goes. I will order the Tricide-Neo just to have on hand

I took these pictures this morning for y'all to see.

Thanks

Feeling:
      ----

I have never dipped in Malachite Green so I'll defer to Rich or one of the other HC committee members to comment on that.
      Andrea

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I have not dipped in malachite green either. I have seen methylene blue used for fungus, but the one that I generally relied on was Proform C, as the malachite green in it is great for fungal situations, and it is a pond treatment, not requiring catching and dipping the fish which is a stressor, and stress causes most of the problems with fish health.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

So here's how he's looking.

I have waited a week and the scales are now a reddish color.

Last night I decided to gave him a dip in Methylene Blue 12Mg solution for 10minutes last night.

The scales look like they are going to fall off or 'soft'.

The weather up in NY has gotten really HOT and maybe the water temp is effecting the scales. is this new skin forming?

If not - I'm going the Tricide route (the powder came in the mail last week).

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

closer pic

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have been meaning to come back and post a huge THANK YOU to ademink and Rich.

I used the Tricide-Neo and within a few weeks the koi was algae free, and the scales were back. I tried the clove oil - but the fish is quite big so it was docile, but not really 'asleep' it did try to move once or twice. I found that just sprinkling it on the Tricide was easier than swabbing it. I did clean off the alge and growth with iodine and a swab first - it was heart breaking as some chunks of scales and flesh came off - be gentile, and let what wants to come off - come off. Then I sprinkled the Tricide powder on the infected and cleaned areas.

Here are the pictures of the fish 2-3 months later in early September of 2021. After treatment he hid under a turned over plant for a good 4-6 weeks. I would put a couple of pellets of food in, but he really didn't move. He was healing. I added, a new fish in late August / early September and he came out to swim again with his new buddy.

I wanted to share these pictures so that others know that healing will take time (think of how long it would take your skin to heal from a really bad scrape on your leg or arm).

Thanks so much to this wonderful group, forum, and caring members.

I will see if I can find photos of us applying the powder to the koi. Since the Koi was big we had to apply the powder next to the pond - we rolled out plastic and sprinkled the powder on while he was in a large tub ( I think we left some water with Clove oil in the tub.. but drained it enough so the infected areas of the back were out of the water).

Below are the fully healed pictures 2 months later

Name:  IMG_20210912_130314632.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  94.1 KB
      Name:  IMG_20210912_130327339.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  91.2 KB
      Name:  IMG_20210912_130341094.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  79.0 KB
      Last edited by CPA_Koi; 05-19-2022 at 09:12 AM.

fly4koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How deep is your pond? Maybe the fish doesn't have sufficient cover to hide from the sun and caused some scale damage.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by fly4koi View Post
      How deep is your pond? Maybe the fish doesn't have sufficient cover to hide from the sun and caused some scale damage.
      Hi Fly4koi,

The koi is healthy now thanks to the forum's help. This started when the pond developed a leak in the water circulation and drained out. it was a miracle of God that the koi survived. I just wanted to share positive news to other members, that these treatments can and do work.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007