• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange Growth around Koi Mouth

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Koikeeperz View Post
      Hello DarkStar & thankyou for pointing out the error of my ways , that it is not a good idea writing notes in bad handwriting , on a flexing piece of paper towel in the wind , by the pond at night then transcribing onto the internet .

I have taken another test in daylight & can confirm the nitrite reading is absolutely NIL . I have changed the previous text accordingly .

On your point of salinity many years ago , lets say 10 years , I did use salt in koi ponds but stopped . I do however still have the residue of a bag of koi pond salt , the salinity meter has long gone .

But if recommended I could buy a hydrometer or more modern electric meter , both are cheap .

I am prepared to try any reasonable recommendation .

Below is an article from Koimedic , the treatment by salt may be worse than the original problem , upsetting Koi osmosis , etc :-

Salt concentrations between 0.3% and 0.5% (3 to 5 ppt) will upset the osmotic balance of some parasites i.e. the parasites’ cells will dehydrate and thus killing them. Salt concentration of 0.3% are effective at detoxifying nitrite and has been used to control string algae. Nevertheless, 0.3% salt can also stunt water lilies and floating plants (water hyacinth, water lettuce, etc.) than most bog plants.

For treatment of parasite, it is recommended to treat koi in a separate container or hospital tank at 0.3% salt. A prolong 0.3% salt in the whole pond will promote the formation of super parasite that will get immune to higher salt level. It is important not to prolong salt level above 0.25% for more than 2 weeks. Dilute pond to 0.1% to 0.2%. Keep pond at 0.1% to 0.2% salt level and use parasiticides or antibiotics added concurrently with the treatment. This treatment is for general prevention and consultation is required from your local koi supplier for specific infections.
      The use of salt for nitrites only requires a salinity of 0.1%, though the use of 0.12% is often recommended as that is 1 pound per 100 gallons.

Because so many parasites have become immune to salt, use of salt for parasite eradication is no longer recommended.

For major ulcers, due to the osmotic pressure caused by the salinity of the blood at 0.9%, I have used salinity as high as 0.8% for most of a winter to keep one fish from developing dropsy, where the water flowing in through the area with no skin (membrane) exceeded the ability of the kidneys to remove water. Getting the salinity near the same reduced the flow into the fish.

Hydrometers are not sensitive enough for use at the low levels needed for koi. A much better method is either a salt pen, or a TDS meter. Salt pens are usually programmed to read in % or ppt, where TDS meters work by the same method but generally read in ppm.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

Koikeeperz is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thankyou very much for the information RichToyBox .

DarkStar is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote '' I pm'd you to get into contact with LHF Labs http://www.lincsfishhealth.co.uk/

What did they say? ''

What is ' pm ' nothing received until now & yes I will contact staff at http://www.lincsfishhealth.co.uk , thanks .
      Please believe that no insult is intended with my next question, I just want to make sure that I did not misunderstand what you were asking. Did you receive the PMís (Private Messages) from graybird with the contact information for Duncan Griffiths, as well as the one from kdh, who sent a pm but also posted the information here re: lincsfishhealth. I think we were all waiting to hear what Duncan and lincs fish health lab has to say.

Just so thereís no confusion, I donít think anyone is telling you to apply salt right now so you donít need to rush out and buy anything to measure your salt levels, although it may come in handy if you have to apply salt in the future. It was only because of your false Nitrite reading that salt was suggested.

If anyone does think parasites may be the culprits here and salt may be helpful Iím sure they will correct me and direct you to move forward with specifics. I just know how hard it is to sort through things like this when itís unclear what the problem is, and thereís so much speculation about possible treatments.

If you havenít already, please contact Duncan and the Lab asap and let us know what responses you received. Thank you!
      Find Something You Would Die For And Live for It.

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote '' I pm'd you to get into contact with LHF Labs http://www.lincsfishhealth.co.uk/

What did they say? ''

What is ' pm ' nothing received until now & yes I will contact staff at http://www.lincsfishhealth.co.uk , thanks .
      Up at the top of the forum page on the right hand side you should see a link called "Notifications" and if there's a number beside it,
      it means you have a private message waiting. Just click it and click "Unread Private Messages" to see your messages.
      Here's some more information about the forum private message system:

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ges-The-Basics
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

Koikeeperz is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Having been enlightened relative to the 'pm' function on this site as opposed to me wondering how a message could get to my normal personal email , checking spam filters , etc . I now have two messages & need to follow up www.lincsfishhealth.co.uk & www.koiquest.co.uk over the next few days .

Thanks for everyone's help .

john s is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi, I came across a similar looking warty thing on a koi in a member's pond last week. After a lots of research I determined it was probably Epitheliocystis, a fungal infection, not highly contagious, not usually lethal, generally curable but sure is butt ugly. It has been on this koi for over six months. Winter weather is too cold to treat immediately but will as soon as sick tank set up, conditions etc. are right. You might want to talk to Duncan Griffiths about this. John S.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12