• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Pond Cleanout's Finished. How to Clean / Sanitize Pond Nets?

DarkStar is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Pond Cleanout's Finished. How to Clean / Sanitize Pond Nets?

The last time I saw this pond without any water in it was 2003. Because we have well water, we had 3 tanks filled, treated with Baking Soda and warming up to put in the pond when the cleaning was done. The fish were in the Intex pool but in the end I decided not to use that water. Even though I had treated the water with Ultimate, there was still an Ammonia reading so I didn't want to use any of it in the clean pond. Now I'm back to the fun you've all known - several weeks of cycling the new filter. What fun! But I'm so glad it's clean, and I'm so glad it's done!

But I'd like to know what, if anything, you use to clean your nets (sock nets, pole nets, as well as pond cover nets) when you're through with them and are ready to put them back into storage until needed again? With dirty dirty water, water treatments and additives, fish slime and excretions, it seems a plain water rinse wouldn't be enough to clean them thoroughly?
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Find Something You Would Die For And Live for It.

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Congrat's on getting the clean out done!

I use Virkon aquatic... takes about 1 1/2 tablespoons per gallon for nets and kills most everything
      but won't damage the metal or net.

https://www.vetark.co.uk/documents/antec_3013.pdf
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

Biggest issue is placing the net where air can circulate around it and completely dry out.

graybird is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Virkon is great for the sock and pole nets -- I use a kid's wading pool to soak them. Or you can use Lysol No-Rinse Disinfectant, as Virkon isn't available everywhere. You would need about a cup for a wading pool-size container.
      For tank nets, I put them through the washing machine with a load of crummy towels to cushion them.
      Mary

tbullard is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Maybe I have missed the thread but do you have one for your indoor pond setup?

Nguyen365 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Pressure washer activate!

catfish whiskers is online now Supporting Member
      is Busy and

Feeling:
      Tired

We buy the Lysol no rinse sanitizer for disenfecting at the koi show .
      Best price and free shipping on eBay
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lysol-Recki...4383.l4275.c10
      .Name:  87CB548D-0AE1-4388-AD73-73E9D09E414E.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  93.8 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Congrat's on getting the clean out done!
      I use Virkon aquatic... takes about 1 1/2 tablespoons per gallon for nets and kills most everything
      but won't damage the metal or net.
      https://www.vetark.co.uk/documents/antec_3013.pdf
      Thanks for the link! It sounds like the superpower of disinfectants. It's too bad I don't have anyone near me to split it with; it would take a lifetime (mine at least) to use a 10 lb. tub, and I don't see any other size. Good suggestion though.

Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
      Biggest issue is placing the net where air can circulate around it and completely dry out.
      Yes, no matter how things are cleaned it would be bad to put things away damp and have mold grow on them.

Quote Originally Posted by graybird View Post
      Virkon is great for the sock and pole nets -- I use a kid's wading pool to soak them. Or you can use Lysol No-Rinse Disinfectant, as Virkon isn't available everywhere. You would need about a cup for a wading pool-size container.
      For tank nets, I put them through the washing machine with a load of crummy towels to cushion them.
      I'd thought of the washer, I was just concerned about soap residue from previous washes.

I don't know how effective it would be but I was thinking of getting several bottles of Peroxide from the local Janitor Supply place (even at WalMart it's cheap) and putting the nets and things in a tub with the peroxide to soak. Would that work?

Quote Originally Posted by tbullard View Post
      Maybe I have missed the thread but do you have one for your indoor pond setup?
      Hi tbullard. After the clean-Out, the clean-Up, some health issues, and now continously testing and treating the pond for Ammonia & Nitrite, filling tanks for reserve water, etc. I'm borderline brain-dead right now so please explain in small words what you mean? Do I have what for the indoor pond?
      If I'm supposed to have it, I probably don't. If it's the wrong thing, I probably do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nguyen365 View Post
      Pressure washer activate!
      Just plain 'ole pressure wash would be sufficient?

tbullard is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post

Hi tbullard. After the clean-Out, the clean-Up, some health issues, and now continously testing and treating the pond for Ammonia & Nitrite, filling tanks for reserve water, etc. I'm borderline brain-dead right now so please explain in small words what you mean? Do I have what for the indoor pond?
      If I'm supposed to have it, I probably don't. If it's the wrong thing, I probably do.
      Sorry I wasn't contributing to the question. Just wondered if you had a thread detailing your setup of the indoor koi room. Is it an outbuilding or part of your house, filtration, etc.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

er..... is something wrong with my vision, my monitor, my medication, or are some of the posts somewhat cut off or a little wonky?

I see catfish whiskers suggested the Lysol No Rinse Sanitizer and posted a link but it seems to overlap someone else's post and the whole bottom part (signature, etc.) of his/her (?) post is missing. (Thank you!)

Next there's a post by Steve E. who apparently anticipated the questions I was going to ask about the Lysol and posted the answers as well as some of the chemical infomation. However the post is sort of "frozen"
      I cannot "reply as a quote", nor can I "thank for this post". (Thank you! I was wondering about those things! )

Then I see Joey S's very pretty smiling face as her Avatar at the top of her Post, but I can't see any content or commentary at all. (wish I knew what you said, but I was glad to see you!)
      followed by that is a post of normal size and appearance by tbullard.

Is everyone seeing it this way or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by tbullard View Post
      Sorry I wasn't contributing to the question. Just wondered if you had a thread detailing your setup of the indoor koi room. Is it an outbuilding or part of your house, filtration, etc.
      Please, no need to apologize! I appreciate everyone's interest and input, and I'm delighted to have the opportunity to share with folks in the hobby. No one around me had Koi so it's rare that I get to talk Koi or ponding with anyone except for the forum. I had posted pics of the room, pond, and talked about the old equipment in several other posts and just assumed most folks knew it was part of the house. My bad. It's a very large room, like a solarium, sliding glass doors all around with various views of the patio, gardens, etc., lots of light, also has a hot tub, exercise equipment, my Fairy Garden Project (just beginning) and the Pond. So when I can't sleep at night I often go in there for a time and sit with the fish.

But you are correct in pointing out that I have not yet mentioned the NEW equipment we just installed! It's a 1700 gallon pond. We've put in an Aquadyne 8000 - Model 2.2B, as well as a Zakki Sieve Direct Suction Pre-Filter, which I'm really excited about! And some improved faux-bottom drains (we don't have in-ground bottom drains).

In addition, we got a Matala Cyclone Pond Vacuum which looks awesome. http://www.matalausa.com/Power-Cyclo...uum-p-251.html When you're using a pond-vac outside it's not so bad to stop and empty it out on the ground every so often. But when you're using it indoors and you have to carry, push or pull the full darned thing outside every 20 minutes to empty it becomes a royal pain.

Thank you everyone!

catfish whiskers is online now Supporting Member
      is Busy and

Feeling:
      Tired

Your OK , that was a screenshot picture I posted, to show an old post from Steve E . about the Lysol no rinse cleaner .

gander is online now Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~ 2018 KPOTY
      is birds flying high you know how
      I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

come do mine its never been done
      "most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

OK.TN.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by catfish whiskers View Post
      Your OK , that was a screenshot picture I posted, to show an old post from Steve E . about the Lysol no rinse cleaner .
      Phew! I thought I was entering The Twilight Zone. 'Do not adjust your PC. We control the horizontal. We control the vertical. ....'