• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Huh... a uniseal failed

GoldieGirl is online now Senior Member
      is good

Feeling:
      Friendly

Huh... a uniseal failed

This uniseal has been in use for over ten years on an S&G barrel and always under cover, out of the weather. It has split and is leaking a steady drip (2Ē out of the pond per day). The pipe is the pond return for the filter - inside the barrel it elbows up and I stick a cap on it when I am flushing the filter. I usually have to jiggle quite a bit to get the cap off and Iíll bet that didnít help with the seals longevity!

It is in a very hard to reach place and Iím hoping that I can put a ratchet strap on the pipe stub to force it back in when I go to replace the uniseal. Itís a very short stub as you can see - just enough on this side to fit into the Fernco. There is no way I can reach arms in there to fix it. The only other thing would be to take the whole filter apart ...ugh. Iím going to wait till Friday as we are having some electrical work being done on the house and the power will be off for a while. Better than having the pond pump off twice this week - this fix could take me a while!
      Attached Images Attached Images  

rcmike is offline Supporting Member
      is Still learning every day!

Feeling:
      Happy

That's the first I've seen of one failing that way. Of course it would be in a hard to reach place. Good luck getting it fixed. They are hard enough to get in when you have plenty of access to them.

LoriP is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Good luck! Here's some sunshine. It doesn't look to be a 4 inch. Will never fight getting a pipe in a 4 inch uniseal EVER again.

is good

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by LoriP View Post
      Good luck! Here's some sunshine. It doesn't look to be a 4 inch. Will never fight getting a pipe in a 4 inch uniseal EVER again.
      Lol, even the 3” are pretty bad. Luckily, this one is only 2”. I’ll let you guys know how it goes on Friday : )

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by GoldieGirl View Post
      This uniseal has been in use for over ten years on an S&G barrel and always under cover, out of the weather. It has split and is leaking a steady drip (2” out of the pond per day). The pipe is the pond return for the filter - inside the barrel it elbows up and I stick a cap on it when I am flushing the filter. I usually have to jiggle quite a bit to get the cap off and I’ll bet that didn’t help with the seals longevity!

It is in a very hard to reach place and I’m hoping that I can put a ratchet strap on the pipe stub to force it back in when I go to replace the uniseal. It’s a very short stub as you can see - just enough on this side to fit into the Fernco. There is no way I can reach arms in there to fix it. The only other thing would be to take the whole filter apart ...ugh. I’m going to wait till Friday as we are having some electrical work being done on the house and the power will be off for a while. Better than having the pond pump off twice this week - this fix could take me a while!
      Rubber can fail without any exposure to the sun based on air quality. In CA I had failures that surprised me as well but was told it was an ‘environmental’ issue.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you don't have luck with your ratchet strap, if there's room and something heavy/stationary to leverage against, I've resorted to rigging up a small jack and wood blocks to push them through.

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

--Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Brilliant! I'd thought of a Jack post type of conglomeration but never got around to trying it, that link is awesome

is good

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Perfect! I will try to put this together but did he custom make those bars? What exactly are they? Do you think they need to be that thick?
      Thank you, Steve, for the link!

rcmike is offline Supporting Member
      is Still learning every day!

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      I knew I had seen something somewhere before! I actually searched this morning but was a little loopy because I took some pain medicine because of a kidney stone.

Perfect! I will try to put this together but did he custom make those bars? What exactly are they? Do you think they need to be that thick?
      I would use something pretty thick. It takes some force to push them through.

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Knowing Zoran (Zoki51) he probably did but it looks like you could use anything that you can drill through and will distribute the force to the
      pipe and cap evenly. Hopefully he'll see this thread and pop in and confirm what will work.
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

is good

Feeling:
      Friendly

Well, it’s done! I decided to try it today with the ratchet strap, with a backup plan of running to the hardware store to get the items for the uniseal “tool” shown above. After scooping out most of the grit and wrestling the old pipe out, I replaced the uniseal, sprayed PAM on the pipe stub, reached in to get it into position and, wouldn’t you know, I just shoved it right in by hand! It slid in so easily, I was worried the it would surely leak or something, but no, it sealed perfectly. Whew!

I will bookmark a link to that tool, though. You never never know ...

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Woot!